Coffee

Stilly

I think coffee has entered the same situation with roasters that happened when gin exploded around the early 2000s, there are too many of them to keep track and have a handle on who does what (also similarly trendy).

I think one of the issues that such small places face is consistency in output, it's often just one or two peoples palettes (plus small producers of the beans) and you can drive yourself mad rebuying beans you've had before and being certain they don't taste how you remembered.

Anyone got any Melitta style filters to recommend? I'm currently using Filtropa No. 4 filters in my Clever Dripper, but they cost ~£8 for a box of 100, which doesn't really seem sensible. Apparently you can get Melitta ones in supermarkets? We do our shop at Morrissons and they have Rombouts filters, which I've not tried.

I'm wondering how much of a difference unbleached filters make.

I use the white Filtropa because (of course) James Hoffman said they were good once, 2 pack from Amazon as linked.

He did also recommend some super expensive ones but can a paper make that much difference ? Can it, can it ?

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/fast-coffee-filter

Then if you want to get super into it you've got those Japanese fancy ones, they run at full screen and 60fps so you're coffee comes thru quicker, or something like that.

https://cafec-jp.com/products/filterpaper/

I find Pact to be patchy really, of my three subs that’s the one I pause most often, then get a couple of bags when they send me another voucher. In fact I guess I’m only in it for the discounted bags at this point.

Extract and Union are my other two, I pause Extract when I’ve got too much but never Union, it’s definitely my favourite out of the three.

I bought a packet of Rombouts No 4 coffee filters for my clever. £1.50 for 40. They look almost identical to the filtropa ones, but feel a bit thinner. This seems to be reflected in the brew, as my cup this morning drew down in 50 seconds, rather than about 65-70s with the Filtropa. At my current grind, I think it made the cup slightly less bitter without significantly changing how extracted the cup was.

Not massively cheaper, but I can get them in my weekly shop and saves on unnecessary postage waste and reduces my use of amazon, which are two things I value.

Drinking one now from Skylark, their Deluxe blend which they describe as tasting like Neapolitan ice cream - I'm not really getting the choc note but it tastes like strawberry cream Quality St to me, that isn't a reach of a description either, it tastes very much like them.

It's an odd experience in a coffee to get such different tastes out of it.

Took delivery of a new Pact ltd edition which was described as tasting like milk choc truffles, which my other half insisted we buy. Need to let it rest for a bit as only roasted on Weds and apparently needs to let the CO2 out before you use (I read a week or so, it can taste OK but is still volatile early after roasting and what gets you a good cup 1 day won't be repeatable the next).

Re the Swedish thing looks nice, though I prefer tea with good cake/biscuits as it complements them more - my preference is to drink a coffee on its own and just enjoy it.

I much prefer the Swedish approach to work. You'll see little groups of people making their own drinks in the kitchen or at a table drinking a coffee for 10 mins or so and chatting at various points throughout the day.

In England you get someone making a round of tea so only one person has to stop working.

At my old place they also had a cheese and crackers break at 9:45 every day which served as a sort of whole office meeting where announcements were made, it was a much friendlier and sociable work environment.

It's difficult these days as we are all working flexibly, so there's never reliably people around the office, but if we do go back in on a more regular basis, it would certainly be nice to try to implement something like that.

I went to Newground on Saturday and tried an espresso, as I've been interested in specialty espresso. They had a choice of two beans and I think I picked the single origin rather than their house blend and I suspect I made a mistake as they probably brew with the latter far more. I had an incredibly sour and unpleasant espresso, but on the upshot, bought some really nice Ugandan beans. They're more expensive than my Pact beans (and I can't pick up beans regularly), but you can tell a difference.

Seen a bit of coverage on that Lagom mini, does look cool and is obviously cheaper than the Niche but not sure it's like for like grinder in terms of capability. 

My biggest concern would be the tiny motor in that small body, can't be as robust as that in a bigger unit.

The next stage in my quest for a cup of coffee that I really like will be to switch from making 2 big cups of coffee a day to making 4 small ones, I think.

I paused my Pact subscription as I thought every bag I got from them just produced 'meh' coffee, and bought a bag from a local roastery. That was a mistake, so when it was finished I bought a bag from Union, as I've heard good things in this thread.

Last night, after dinner I made myself a small cup to test it out and start the dialling in process, and it was a revelation. The best coffee I've had in months! I was so excited!

This morning I've made my usual 'large mug' sized coffee, and while it's still definitely head and shoulders above Pact and St. Martin's, after the first couple of mouthfuls, it's not as good as it was. I'm thinking it might be because the coffee's cooled, although my totally ignorant non-scientific brain would expect better flavours when it's not too hot. Happy to be totally wrong on that though, so I'm going to try halving the mug size, and doubling the number of cups I have a day.

On 17/02/2022 at 14:28, HarryBizzle said:

This thing is tiny and seems to be on par with the Niche in terms of performance, for roughly half the price. Looks quite ugly in the thumbnail, doesn't look too bad.

I think he might be drinking too much coffee.

I would like to get a coffee maker for my flat so I can spend a few moments each morning doing something ritualistic and simple in order to wake up and stop and feel calm before doing something else, and then drink a delicious beverage at the end of it.

I don't own a giant kitchen so I want something small and not electric and elegant and with white detailing.

I think I am going to get this but I wanted to run it past the forum minds first to see if I am being a moron or something. I assume all I need to get along with it is some filter coffee. Do I need to also get disposable filters or does this thing have some kind of in built filtering system?

51Me+TXM3AL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

That is a French Press, or Cafetiere, and they have a metal mesh to filter the coffee. They are a little bit of a pain to clean and tend to produce cups of coffee which are not as clean as something with paper filters, but you can certainly get good results with them.

I think the main alternatives would be an aeropress, clever dripper or V60. I prefer the Clever Dripper or Aeropress, but you can get excellent brews from all of them.

What kind of coffee would you be using? Shop bought, pre-ground?

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What kind of coffee would you be using? Shop bought, pre-ground?

Yeah, pre ground filter coffee.

I'm not sure if there is anything good on Amazon that I can order along with the Bodum but I work in King's Cross and there are at least 900 expensive coffee places in Coal Drops Yard so there's a lot I can experiment with.

Pretty much everything on Amazon is rubbish. I think you’d be mad to buy coffee online, though, given what you’ve got access to locally. 

Just be aware that preground goes stale very quickly. You really want to go through a bag in a week. The best way around this is to get a grinder, but that’s a bit of an expense if you want a good one. 

The Cafetiere will give a decent cup if you use the hoffman method. (basically leaving it until all the coffee settles) but that's not much of a ritual just popping coffee into a jug and pouring water over it.

Personally, I'd go for either a mokka pot or a pourover if the routine is important. A nice white ceramic v60 would give you a good cup and the method is quite involved. Weigh the coffee, pour the water over in stages until it reaches the weight you are looking for.

You may end up rapidly deciding you need a fancy grinder and a swan neck kettle though so for simplicity I'd look at a Mokka Pot.

A lot of people advise the least faff and most tolerant method is the clever dripper, it may not make the 'best' cup ever (whatever best is) but it's the most tolerant to produce an excellent one.

We got my other half's mother who is 70 a clever and she makes a couple of cups a day having been a lifelong instant drinker.

I've been messing with brew time recently as had overlooked that - typically would brew for 3m in the clever but now going up to 5m and the cups are much fuller, especially for lighter/medium roasts. 

On 06/03/2022 at 12:14, David Heath said:

I would like to get a coffee maker for my flat so I can spend a few moments each morning doing something ritualistic and simple in order to wake up and stop and feel calm before doing something else, and then drink a delicious beverage at the end of it.

I don't own a giant kitchen so I want something small and not electric and elegant and with white detailing.

I think I am going to get this but I wanted to run it past the forum minds first to see if I am being a moron or something. I assume all I need to get along with it is some filter coffee. Do I need to also get disposable filters or does this thing have some kind of in built filtering system?

That’s all I use every day, I’ve got one at work and one at home. Easy to use and easy to clean.

I do grind the beans though, but I use a £10 manual grinder that someone on the forum sent me for nothing. Perfect results every time.

You'll get a much nicer coffee with an Aeropress, imo, and it has a bit more ritual to it while being much less of a pain in the ass.

I moved from this to a Hario V60 with much happier and consistent results, quite ritualistic and less cleaning.  They aren't expensive at all.

• 2 weeks later...

definitely zeroing in on what we prefer now, chocolate/nutty flavour profiles with low fruit acidity and not floral.

had a couple of hits with our most recent new bags from the NW.

https://www.neighbourhoodcoffee.co.uk/shop/brazil-you-gotta-fight-for-your-right-to-latte/

https://mancoco.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/fazenda-pantano-yellow-bourbon-brazil

was almost put off by the legendary scouse wit in the neighbourhood coffee varieties, with every one having a stupid comedy name (makes a change from over earnest bearded hipsters in beanie hats I guess), but they were quite well regarded on a coffee forum so gave them a go. 

other thing is the 5m brew time in the clever has transformed things, it's literally turned round my view of some beans I wasn't that keen on and also seems to just balance things out, just make sure you stick the lid on the pot. I've seen some nutters wrapping their brewers in thermal blankets and insisting that you need to do 45m brews but screw that. 

• 3 weeks later...

New one for me today with my first taste of a Chinese coffee, in this Kiss The Hippo Donna Blend

Really good full bodied coffee taste with low acidity.

Found a few roasters now doing smaller 125g sample bags, so got a few lined up from Caribe Coffee (who were on Dragons Den) and Aroma Coffee.

After getting a new espresso and batch brewer machine last month, and after trying quite a few different coffees, I definitely prefer the more lighter-bodied and fruity variety.  I am currently drinking two delicious coffees from Square Mile and The Blending Rooms - the only roaster in Hull.

Think my other half just inadvertently paid homage to the alternative comedy evening heckling in Phoenix Nights earlier (tell us a joke we've heard before)

I was telling her about the latest blend with chinese beans in it (it was 715am so she may have not been super receptive in hindsight) and she just got cross and said 'all I want is a coffee I know and have had before'.

I think we're diverging where I always want half a dozen new ones lined up to try and she's reached saturation point for new beans.

I've got a confusing bag of single origin Colombian beans at the moment. I make it the exact same way every morning (espresso). Roughly two thirds of the time I get a horrible bitter cup of misery, but the one third where it works are really nice. Wish I knew why!

31 minutes ago, milko said:

I've got a confusing bag of single origin Colombian beans at the moment. I make it the exact same way every morning (espresso). Roughly two thirds of the time I get a horrible bitter cup of misery, but the one third where it works are really nice. Wish I knew why!

grind quality (you grinding yourself or buy pre-ground ?) or tamp pressure impacting the speed of the shot ?