IGNORED

Coffee

Stilly

I'm grinding it myself, same settings every day. I guess it could be tamp pressure, or small differences in the dose since I do that by eye. It's just such a stark difference!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will work for everybody but Pact sent me a code in the physical post (come on guys just email it) for 50% off your next 3 orders if you set up a plan, seeing as my other half still loves Zaroca £5 bags of that seems a good deal.

Code is PC50 so doesn't seem that personalised, but may not be activated on all accounts I guess.

Really enjoyed the sample size bags I got from Caribe and Aroma coffee, good to test out a few more and really hone in on the types you like.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, they have offers on like that all the time.

My Pact sub has gone up from £7.95 a bag to £8.95. Still cheaper than any other subs I've seen, but unwelcome all the same.

Hasbean subs are a bit cheaper than that if going for their house blends and the "new single origin coffee every time" option is the same as you are paying too (£9)

I've not subbed with them but I have bought 'a la carte' from them loads of times in the past

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Nice username combo! :D

250 euro... I am in Germany. I could look into shipping it to the UK (if that's where you are?)

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/gaggia-classic-kaffeemaschine-espresso/2094076605-176-9359

Ah, no worries, lets not bother with international shipping!

I do already have a Baby Gaggia but it leaks around the grouphead and I've been too lazy to fix it.

is that not just a new gasket? They're usually only a couple of quid, nice and easy. If it's from further in then yeah I'd definitely take a while to get the motivation together to get in there.

2 hours ago, milko said:

is that not just a new gasket? They're usually only a couple of quid, nice and easy. If it's from further in then yeah I'd definitely take a while to get the motivation together to get in there.

I've done all the o-rings and gasket, I think the problem is it was so limescaled up inside that there's not a smooth surface for the boiler to seal so I need to take it all back apart, scrape it all down and put it all back together.

It's not a complicated machine to take apart but I need to clear counter space and set aside an hour or so to mess with it and I've already torn it all down and rebuilt it about three times.

Typically when I decide I have a hankering for espresso I get the impetus to go at it and then promptly forget once I've made a filter coffee and sat down to do something else.

Going to mention Aroma coffee again as they are becoming one of my favourite roasters. Single site small operation but have a really good range of stuff, aren't super pricey and do everything in 125g bags if you'd rather get a wider range of tasters to see what you like. Plus free postage over £15 order which is quite easy to hit.

There is something quite exciting about getting a few different things to try and really liking what I've had from them so far.

https://www.aroma-coffee.co.uk

I'm currently enjoying a pricey (£15) bag of beans from Origin. I do like that you can generally taste the difference when you splurge for fancier stuff.

I'm currently eyeing up this: https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/products/barokah-trio

The same bean, processed in three different ways. Expensive (the bags are only 150g each), but I've not tried Indonesian coffee, the same bean with 3 different processes, or any anaerobic natural coffee, so lots to be excited about.

I’ve been pretty much sticking to James Gourmet for my coffee orders recently due to the price increases at a lot of roasters. 

James Hoffmann mentioned them being early pioneers of speciality coffee in one of his videos and I’ve certainly been impressed with what I’ve had.

They always have reasonably priced options (£5.50-£8 range) alongside their more expensive coffees. 

Yeah, I've been regularly buying from James in recent months, the "Los Amigos Perú" I got in my last order was really nice.  It was listed as a replacement item when their regular Chapin blend is not available so not sure how often they have it. 

I've given up on fancy coffee, I think, having reluctantly accepted that I have the palate of a heathen.

Anything other than really dark roast seems to taste weak and watery, no matter how much coffee I brew with. And having bought a cheap bag of espresso beans from a supermarket, it turns out I can't taste the difference between that and the bags I've bought from artisan roasters at 3 times the price.

I'm really disappointed, but at least my wallet will be happier.

On 13/05/2022 at 16:33, RadgyAdgy said:

I’ve been pretty much sticking to James Gourmet for my coffee orders recently due to the price increases at a lot of roasters. 

James Hoffmann mentioned them being early pioneers of speciality coffee in one of his videos and I’ve certainly been impressed with what I’ve had.

They always have reasonably priced options (£5.50-£8 range) alongside their more expensive coffees. 

Pound for pound I think they're still one of the best roasters around. The coffee equivalent of Kernel Brewery.

Joffmann has been on a couple of Podcasts recently. There's this ZOE Science and Nutrition one, which is really interesting. I think ZOE is some sort of pseudoscience nutrition subscription, but the podcast is good. As an extra bonus, the doctor and epidemiologist on the show calls espresso "expresso."

The other one is Milk Street Radio, and it's only about a 10-15 segment about the perfect coffee, but is also enjoyable (probably more so than the above).

https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/the-perfect-cup-great-homemade-coffee-with-james-hoffmann

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here have a gaggia classic pro?  I’ve had one for about a year. Regularly descale, backwash and maintain. 

Have a sage barista grinder to go with it and generally speaking my doses have been fine. 

weird thing I am finding now is that regardless of grind setting I seem to be under extracting each time. I normally aim for about a 2:1 ratio of dry to wet between 26-30 seconds. Over the last few days I’ve been setting the grind to two reaching 36g (18g dry) in about 18seconds (which is entirely relative to my grinder but when I first started out last year with the basket I have my setting was usually between 6-8). 

Any ideas what the hell is happening there?  Could it just be down to the beans? I think the flow of water through the screen seems to be like a steady set of jets rather than the droplets it used to come out as. However, not sure if that is just me looking for issues though. 

I've been going down a proper youtube rabbit hole of different types of drip brewers the last few days, I never realised the variety that existed.

conical versus flat bottom, different materials (plastic/glass/ceramic/metal) then you've got the paper filter free ones (metal or some even all glass), then there are the type in the most recent Hoffman video that are zero bypass.

as with most gadget/tech obsessed hobbies they all promise something different, something that will make the best coffee EVER and threaten to separate you from varying amounts of cash (there is an all glass German brewer called the RS16 that is about £100, very little info on it though). It all sounds plausible though, immersion different to pour over, of course a paper filter removes some oils etc etc.

I have decided to give a flat bottom brewer a try though so got a Orea v3 on order, which looks quite interesting. Was that or an April brewer.

Of course new brewers means you need to buy some more beans so that has been fun too, giving some Australian Skybury a go (they may be in the same camp as Jamaican Blue Mountain and Hawaiian Kona on being scarce rather than the pinnacle of coffee)

I can't help but think it's much of a muchness. The V60 and Kalita wave have been going up against each other for decades. I don't really see what any of them offer over an immersion brew, really. I watched that James Hoffmann video and he mentioned that an aeropress is non-bypass but didn't really comment on what either of those new brewers offer over it. 

On another note, after lots of frustration with coffee whilst travelling, I've just given in and started taking my scales with me and using preground coffee instead of my rubbish handgrinder. I went away last week with those things and my aeropress go and whilst the coffee did get a bit staler over the course of the week, it was still a million times better than awful hotel coffee.

23 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Anyone here have a gaggia classic pro?  I’ve had one for about a year. Regularly descale, backwash and maintain. 

Have a sage barista grinder to go with it and generally speaking my doses have been fine. 

weird thing I am finding now is that regardless of grind setting I seem to be under extracting each time. I normally aim for about a 2:1 ratio of dry to wet between 26-30 seconds. Over the last few days I’ve been setting the grind to two reaching 36g (18g dry) in about 18seconds (which is entirely relative to my grinder but when I first started out last year with the basket I have my setting was usually between 6-8). 

Any ideas what the hell is happening there?  Could it just be down to the beans? I think the flow of water through the screen seems to be like a steady set of jets rather than the droplets it used to come out as. However, not sure if that is just me looking for issues though. 

If you grind super-fine are you able to 'choke' the machine? 

If you can do that, you can work back up the grind settings from that point until you get it good again... I odn't weigh mine and it's an analogue setting on my grinder so it feels effectively almost infinite, I don't know how easy this is to mess with on the Sage.

Another alternative is to do some maintenance on the grinder, maybe the burrs need a good clean? If you use oily beans they can leave residue behind.

I've not got the same espresso machine but the two I've had both shot out jets rather than droplets I think.