Kings - New NBC Drama with Ian McShane

Couch Corpse

I was looking to see what's coming up this year and this one caught my eye. There was a preview at comic-con which went down well allegedly, bit early but hopefully we get a leaked ep.

Michael Green is the writer who had a hand in Heroes and Smallville, and the director Francis Lawrence Contantine and I am Legend. This doesn't bode well, will give it a chance though.

Someone who saw an early preview of the two hour pilot said it was very good. The premise is interesting but I don't wanna spoil things too much for myself or you guys.

I will mention there's a Baz Lurhmann's Romeo + Juliet vibe going on, which gets me pretty excited.

• 2 months later...

Kings is a flagship new modern day televisual retelling of David and Goliath. Ian McShane stars as the divine King Silas, appointed to his throne by God and ruler of the country of Gilboa. He sits in his throne atop a Half-Life 2-esque spire palace in the middle of Shiloh, the country's capital city, and commands his forces against the northern enemy state of Gath in a war caught in an unending stalemate. His daughter's a political activist who sometimes campaigns against him. His son is a wild child who'd be perfect fodder for the tabloids, if Silas didn't quash every story about him.

Enter David Shepherd, a country boy soldier who rescues the king's son from the Gath forces, facing down and destroying a Goliath tank in the process. While Silas welcomes him into the court with open arms it soon becomes clear the boy has great things ahead of him and Silas's continuing reign might not be as assured as he first thought.

While the show is terribly uneven and is haemorrhaging viewers after only three episodes it definitely deserves a look before it's cut. For a flagship TV show it's a very brave attempt at doing something different, and for the most part it works. The modern day launguage occasionally lapsing into ye olde speake is occasionally jarring, and the comedy palace guards are awful, but the politics and intrigue of the thing are all spot on. It also has a fantastic cast, with Ian McShane devouring the lavish sets, Eamon 'Oz' Walker, Becky Ann 'Freaks and Geeks' Baker, and the likes of Brian Cox and Miguel Ferrer showing up in the third episode. But the best thing about it is the epic nature of it, the feeling that one man can change the world, the growing tension between an almost tyrannical king and his naive future usurper. With the politics, familial backstabbing and spirituality it almost feels like it might be a successor to Battlestar Galactica. It's not likely to last very long, so if that sounds like your kind of thing you should check it out while you still can.

Still haven't watched episode 3 from Sunday, but I loved the first 2. It came as quite a shock to me seeing little Nick from Home & Away had grown up into a Matt Damon look and sound-alike. The resemblance is uncanny.

And yeah, it sucks about the ratings. The show doesn't have a chance.

It sounds interesting but how close is it in feel/scripting/acting to Heroes? Because I can't stand Heroes.

Heroes is the worst show on TV so it's a good bit above it. Don't read that as good though, besides McShane and Baker the acting overall is poor, but you could blame that on a dull script. It reminds me of Rome in feel, except shit.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While this is overtly religious I find myself totally engrossed in it. McShane is brilliant as always and the rest of the cast are very good too. It's a shame that it's not been renewed as it could really get going in the next series but alas we'll just have to hope that they ties it up sufficiently in the last few episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else keep up with this? Just watched the finale. Can't believe they ended it like that. :lol: Season 2 could've been so good. The plot was a bit all over the place at times and some stuff was clearly re-shot after they knew it got the axe in an attempt to give some form of closure, but I really enjoyed those 13 episodes, the last 5 especially. The thing I'll miss the most is the absolutely amazing cinematography. Very few shows put this much effort into the look of a show. It really was beautifully shot. Breaking Bad and Big Love are the only two shows currently on air I can think of that better it in that department. Maybe Mad Men, too. I bet if this was on a cable channel it would still be around. It deserved better than NBC.

I said this before when I watched Odyssey 5 recently, but for real this time, I'm never watching another show I know has already been cancelled ever again. :lol: It's just too upsetting.

I hope Chris Egan gets work after this. Good actor.

Not often a show snags me from the very beginning - especially when you think about the amount of drivel currently on the telly.

It really is shameful treatment from NBC, right there.

It'll be missed.

I had to confirm on TV Rage

Canceled/Ended

What the fuck? This wasn't an amazing show, the basis and execution of it at times was surreal to say the least, but as mentioned was shot so well. This abstract city seemed alive in it's own weird way, like some clinical toy town come to life with all it's huffyness and seriousness. But I found it really entertaining and loved all of the main actors- obv esp McShame, it deserved more than it's really unsatisfying ending. When someone unaware watches the finale and thinks it's a meh set up episode for a strong season 2, you know they fucked up.