IGNORED

Edge 198

Mr Do 71

Aionguard? What's all that about then.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205721

The first details emerged on Just Cause studio Avalanche's new open-world fantasy game, AionGuard, which is revealed in the new issue of Edge magazine.

AionGuard looks very much like a war game on an epic scale, with armies of thousands, pilot-able dragons souring through the skies and magical beasts the size of houses smashing through the battlefield.

The game, which has been in development for two years and doesn't have a publisher yet, follows the powerful AionGuard forces, an elite force who merge for life with symbiotic armour which grants them awesome magical powers. Avalanche describes them as a mix of "WWI dogfighter pilots, Samurai and medieval knights."

The AionGuard are out to recapture the world after the near-destruction of their civilization, and they do this by invading and capturing various dragon and wizard-filled regions from the occupying Nazurbaal, who are 'harvesting' the world of its magical energy source.

The end goal of recapturing each area is the enemy stronghold in the region, which you you'll ultimately thwart by leading a thousand-man army, that reacts to your success and defeat on the battlefield, against it.

But - this being an open-world effort - there's more strategy on the battlefield than just marching up to the front door; by exploring the world players can cripple supply lines or capture 'geo nodes', the power sources of a region's stronghold, making it much easier to attack.

In some circumstances players will also have to befriend local tribes for help and reinforcements, such as gaining more air units to attack a flying fortress.

Avalanche is desperate to emphasise that AionGuard's missions are designed to go up against the "finest set-pieces videogaming has to offer," it says.

It sounds promising and looks great. For much, much more see the massive preview in Edge issue 198, out January 15 and in subscribers' hands now.

Aionguard could be interesting. It certainly sounds more exciting than most fantasy games, a genre I haven't been interested in for ages.

It could've been interesting, but now that it has been featured on the cover of edge as a promising and potentially revolutionary title, it's guaranteed to get a 3/10 :lol:

It could've been interesting, but now that it has been featured on the cover of edge as a promising and potentially revolutionary title, it's guaranteed to get a 3/10 :)

Developer of Just Cause.

I'm off to Paddy Power to stick a monkey on it being shit.

I loved the idea of Destroy All Humans and the first game was decent with some great moments but in need of a lot of fine-tuning. It's a shame they just gave up on the franchise and left it to slowly die a death of indignity. That score will come as a surprise to no one. It didn't have to be this way.

Pandemic didn't develop it - THQ sourced the game out to third tier dev studio Sandblast.

I loved the idea of Destroy All Humans and the first game was decent with some great moments but in need of a lot of fine-tuning. It's a shame they just gave up on the franchise and left it to slowly die a death of indignity. That score will come as a surprise to no one. It didn't have to be this way.

One of the guys at Pandemic was so frustrated with the whole (initial) concept, he just left and made that silly

(the guy who did the music for that video -still works at Pandemic- also did the music for the DAH games btw), which made him a Youtube star. Truth be told that video is far more enjoyable than Destroy All Humans ever was.
Magazines are dead anyway.

The recent demise of EGM certainly seems to point that way...

But - this being an open-world effort - there's more strategy on the battlefield than just marching up to the front door; by exploring the world players can cripple supply lines or capture 'geo nodes', the power sources of a region's stronghold, making it much easier to attack.

Sounds a bit Crackdown-ish.

Edge 198 :)

This is why I always think games mags are written by journos first and games fans second. I'd say a decent amount of folks working as writers there aren't that bothered about the games angle, they'd be just as comfy on Top Gear mag or Which? magazine. Therefore the facade can slip sometimes and you get little whoopsies like that where you realise they dont quite know what they're talking about.

Or in this case it could've just been a typo. But from time to time I do wonder if there are journalists sitting in games rag offices staring out the window with a pile of pish to review on the table wishing that some periodical of great repute would get back to them and save them from such 'mindless drudgery'.

Or in this case it could've just been a typo. But from time to time I do wonder if there are journalists sitting in games rag offices staring out the window with a pile of pish to review on the table wishing that some periodical of great repute would get back to them and save them from such 'mindless drudgery'.

Aren't most Edge writers freelance? People like Keiron Gillen or other writers from other gaming magazines. Last time I bought it I think there were only two staff writers.

Yeah, it's a fairly wank issue. I'm pretty disappointed with Edge these days. They seem to have lost the flair for features they used to have that first drew me to them. I think in months like these where the news is slow and there's fuck all games of any consequence to talk about they should commission someone big in the industry who can write or a prominent journalist or someone to write an essay or long op-ed piece about some aspect of videogames, whether it's working practices in the industry, the varying approaches to sound design and their respective benefits or whatever. Call it the Edge Signature pieces, get the writers to put their name and signature at the end so Edge remains clean of accusations of bias or whatever.

DO IT!

Yeah, it's a fairly wank issue. I'm pretty disappointed with Edge these days. They seem to have lost the flair for features they used to have that first drew me to them. I think in months like these where the news is slow and there's fuck all games of any consequence to talk about they should commission someone big in the industry who can write or a prominent journalist or someone to write an essay or long op-ed piece about some aspect of videogames, whether it's working practices in the industry, the varying approaches to sound design and their respective benefits or whatever. Call it the Edge Signature pieces, get the writers to put their name and signature at the end so Edge remains clean of accusations of bias or whatever.

DO IT!

I'd like to see some investigative journalism pieces, rather than fawning developer interviews.

I just want some stuff about games, like The Making Of and Time Extend. Just more stuff as a gamer I can relate to. I'm fed up of reading about games which aren't out for months or even years, and as development cycles get bigger and bigger, what's the point?

I just want some stuff about games, like The Making Of and Time Extend. Just more stuff as a gamer I can relate to. I'm fed up of reading about games which aren't out for months or even years, and as development cycles get bigger and bigger, what's the point?

I just generally dislike developer interviews, they never yield anything terribly interesting as Edge never really ask any tough questions, presumeably because they wouldn't be invited in the first place if they did. I'm with you FOBT, 'making of' and 'time extend' are much more interesting.