Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Goose

That establishing shot of Ramona was great. Lots of those scenes gave me flashbacks to various panels actually, which I assume isn't just my brain playing tricks on me.

No tricks - I noticed that the punch and reversal we see on Patel towards the end of the teaser is a perfect match to the panels. And I mean perfect - same clothes, same body stances, even the exact same spelling and styling of the sound effect text. :)

So what makes you both feel like that? What do you think it's doing wrong? Obviously we've only seen two minutes worth, but so far I feel like it's capturing the style and action of the books well. We'd need to see more before we can judge if it's captured the characters and story, too.

I'm not a massive fan of the comic, but I have to say, this does look like good fun. Edgar Wright can't put a foot wrong.

My thoughts exactly. The trailer looks like it's got a very unique kinetic feel and style to it which only someone like Edgar could pull off. I could well watch this. Might get me into the comic. Might.

Saw the trailer for this before Kick Ass, and it certainly looks promising, given that I've never heard of any of it until seeing this thread.

The only thing that puts me off is Cera - I have pretty-much hated everything I've seen him in, and find him painful to watch.

The fact that it's more mock-manga than wannabe-manga helps - as the story and universe is basically real-world-Canada smashed into early-90's-console-game-logic (i.e. Japanese game-logic) makes the fact it's a Canadian artist using manga-stylings feel right somehow.

I manage to read all five volumes/books thanks to my local library. I've since bought two of them. Four and five are really nicely done, as published volumes.

Holy crap! I almost forgot there's libraries out there! I know my local library has an awesome graphic novel section too. Cheers.

Saw the trailer for this on Kick ass and tonight and thought it was absolutely awful. Not funny, or cool or exciting, just cringeworthy. Ive still got high hopes for the film cos it seems like the style just wont come across in between trailers for iron man and orange mobile phones, but man its a baaaaad trailer.

I got the first two volumes of the comic today, finally caving to pressure from friends who kept telling me to read it. Seems pretty fun so far!

I reread volumes 1 through 5 yesterday. It's probably the 5th time i've read some of them, but they're really lovely books. The last volume and this film can't come soon enough. I'm quite happy that the stories diverge around half way through as well, sometimes it's nice to have a reinterpretation of the same characters and premise rather than a strict adaptation.