IGNORED

When you were given/got your first gaming machine

xibxang

The first machines I ever played on -- the Acorn Electron and Atari 2600 -- didn't have very many games. I played the same few games to death. Chuckie Egg and Cylon Attack on the Electron, Defender and some other shooters on the 2600. I don't think I ever completed these games or even played them very well, but I would just enjoy playing the first few levels until I was beaten, over and over again. I never got bored. I was easily amused.

I have a slightly guilty memory of bugging my dad into typing out a BASIC listing from an Electron magazine. It took a full day of harassing and annoying him into doing it -- he didn't want to because it's fucking boring. But in the end he sat there for about 4 hours typing in the code... and then I played it for about 10 minutes because it was shit. I feel bad about that. :(

Anyway, when I was 13 I got an Amiga 500! I got the Cartoon Classics pack: Lemmings (yay), Bart vs the Space Mutants (only ever reached level 2, but boy did I play level 1 over and over again), and Captain Planet (again, I played the first couple of levels over and over). It also had Deluxe Paint III, which I tinkered with whenever I was bored. I made so many stick-man animations.

With the Amiga, I found that if I saved up my pocket money and bought a game, I played it thoroughly and tried to complete it. But when I went down to my mate's house and pirated a bunch of games every week, I never played them properly. I loaded them up once to see how good the graphics were, then stored them away. I'd sit there bored in the summer holidays thinking: "I've got no games to play!" Of course I had hundreds, but they had no value because I hadn't earned them. So... piracy is bad, mm-kay?

I remember spending a whole year of my life playing Frontier: Elite II. Seriously, I lost a year to that bitch. I could have had my first girlfriend around that time if I hadn't been doing that. Who am I kidding... I couldn't get a girlfriend!

Today's games are different. You're supposed to complete them. They are narrative cinematic experiences now. You wouldn't start a game if you didn't expect to finish it.

It bugs me when I let games pile up now. I have a few games that stayed on the "to do" pile for so ludicrously long that I know I'll never get round to them now. POP: The Sands of Time? It's been on the pile for four frigging years. I'll never play it. Gears Of War 1? It just somehow always got demoted when other things came along. And it always will.

My first console was a Master System II with Sonic, Asterix, and Alex Kidd (built in). I was about 9 years old.

They were all amazing and I played them all to death. Asterix especially is one of my favourite games ever.

I don't remember how long it was before I eventually got another game, but it was a fair amount of time. Back then I'd happily milk every game for everything it was worth, even if it was a bit shit.

My first machine was an Atari 800XL, I guess I was about 5 so that would have been 1984. It was awesome, it came with a pack of fairly forgettable games, but my Dad also bought me Action Biker :P

Action_Biker.gif

It's a game I'll still happily play today. The theme tune is a work of art!

I aquired a fair few £2.99 games over the next couple of years (Atari games were always a quid more than the Speccy for some reason), but honestly, I can't remember many of them. The ones that stand out were Ninja and Chop Suey:

nin-1.gif

chop_suey_2.png

Anyway, we moved house and I became friends with a guy who had a C64, we'd spend hours playing Bruce Lee, Raid Over Moscow, Aliens etc... I ended up getting one for Xmas 1988, it came with a light gun and a compilation of levels from various games... The hostage bit from Robocop, a couple of levels from Army Days and some other pish :(

I think Batman the Caped Crusader was also included along with the Shoot 'em up Contruction Kit :wub: Great days! The highlight of C64 gaming for me was Batman the Movie. I loved that game! There were disappointments though, "great" arcade games like Ninja Gaiden were single player only on the C64. I was gutted as me and my mate were addicted to the machine which was in the cafe in Perth Leisure Centre back then!

But mostly it was good; Rainbow Islands, Flimbo's Quest, Double Dragon 2 (rushed home to play it, after about 5 minutes my Quickshot joystick snapped hahaha!!!)

I made friends with a guy who's dad imported Megadrives. Back in 1990 (I think?) I had a shot of Ghouls n Ghosts and Strider. I'd never seen anything like it, the graphics were AMAZING! I HAD to have one. Sure enough, I got one for my birthday... the purple button Hong Kong version with a copy of Cyberball :( Now sure, it was a shocking game, but it was the only one I had and I loved it! I was genuinely ill on my birthday and had the day off school, so I spend the whole day in the livingroom with the Megadrive connected to the "big" telly.

My first machine in the seventies was a pong clone. It had switches so you could play ´football´and ´icehockey´ (just pong with more bats really).

My first proper gamesmachine was a Philips G7000 Videopac (living in Holland, Philips was a big player in the videogamesmarket for a while).

Cartridges were very expensive, so I had only a few games available. I fondly remember getting up really early to play a Space Invaders clone called ´Space Monster´ on my lovely new machine.

22front.jpg