IGNORED

Oscars '09

Deeptone

Completely disagree. The pace of the film, how a film finally looks, which cameras to use, along with the director to me it's a very important role

I only really notice editing if it's slick and stylised and the film makes a point of showing it off (Fight Club, Three Kings, etc), or if it's overdone and obscures the action (Quantum of Solace). I've never really paid attention to it in more subdued dramas.

I'm stunned that Australia wasn't nominated for best cinematography. Its faults are there for all to see, but visually it was breathtaking. Actually, why am I bothered? The whole thing is voted for by old people anyway isn't it and they're never right about anything anyway.

That's a good point - you never get a mediocre film that does something outstandingly well get nominated, and that's really unfair.

Editing is a tough, looong job that doesn't get appreciated much. David Fincher uses Final Cut Pro to edit his films now, doesn't he? He did for that serial killer film anyway. So it would be cool if the Best Editing award goes to a film edited with widely available consumer software rather than a million dollar editing suite.

That's a good point - you never get a mediocre film that does something outstandingly well get nominated, and that's really unfair.

In a lot of the so called fringe awards (Best Art Direction/Costume etc) they often have a lot of nominations for average or poor films that just happen to excel within that particular category.

In a lot of the so called fringe awards (Best Art Direction/Costume etc) they often have a lot of nominations for average or poor films that just happen to excel within that particular category.

Norbit last year being a prime example...

By the way, guys, express your interest for the 2009 Rllmuk Oscars pool! It should be a good laugh, and if we go down the prize route we're talking about in the thread, it could be worth your while!

My shouts on which way it will go (not the ones I think are worthy), for everyone who doesn't care!

Actor In A Leading Role

The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke

Actor In A Supporting Role

The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger

Actress In A Leading Role

Changeling - Angelina Jolie

Actress In A Supporting Role

The Wrestler - Marisa Tomei

Animated Feature

WALL-E

Art Direction

Changeling

Cinematography

Changeling

Costume Design

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Director

Slumdog Millionaire - Danny Boyle

Documentary Feature

Encounters at the End of the World

Documentary Short

The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306

Editing

Frost/Nixon

Best Foreign Language Film

Waltz with Bashir

Makeup

The Dark Knight

Original Score

Defiance - James Newton Howard

Original Song

WALL-E - "Down to Earth"

Best Picture

Frost/Nixon

Animated Short

This Way Up

Live Action Short

The Pig

Sound Editing

Iron Man

Sound Mixing

Wanted

Visual Effects

The Dark Knight

Adapted Screenplay

Doubt - John Patrick Shanley

Original Screenplay

Milk - Dustin Lance Black

I've not seen Changeling yet, but Winslet is absolutely exceptional in The Reader. As is her co-star, David Kross, who seems to have been overlooked at the major awards.

It's had very mixed reviews Stateside, but for my money is well deserving of its nomination for Best Picture. It's thoughtful and really quite affecting. I don't really rate Ralph Fiennes as an actor, but even he's terrific in this.

I've not seen Changeling yet, but Winslet is absolutely exceptional in The Reader. As is her co-star, David Kross, who seems to have been overlooked at the major awards.

I was going to post the same thing about Doubt. I've not seen any of the other films in the best actress category but Meryl Streep was brilliant in it. And somehow Philip Seymour Hoffman just seems to have to turn up to give a great performance now.

Yeah, I just watched Doubt - really good stuff, not nearly as heavy-going as I thought it'd be, and I'm not ordinarily a fan of Streep, but she was excellent.

Interesting to note that she won the SAG award, which is usually a pretty good indicator of where the Oscar's going to go. Looks like Winslet could miss out again, which would be a crying shame.

EDIT: You're right about Hoffman. Sometimes he seems like he's not even trying, but he's just so compelling to watch. His two sermons were two of the best bits of the film.

• 4 weeks later...