IGNORED

Lie To Me - Tim Roth "Deceptionist" TV drama.

Hexx

Lie To Me is an American television series that premiered on the Fox television network on January 21, 2009.[3] Main character Dr. Cal Lightman (played by Tim Roth) detects deception by observing body language, and uses this talent to assist law enforcement with the help of his group of researchers and psychologists.[3] The character is based on Paul Ekman, notable psychologist and expert on body language and facial expressions

Anyone else watch this/planning to watch this?

Pretty good, something I think I'd watch for the cast than the writing (Tim Roth!). I can see the premise becoming pretty weak, and some of the "zoom ins" on the tell were a little annoying.

Sky just got it for the UK

Sky1 acquires 'Lie To Me'

Thursday, January 22 2009, 08:00 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Sky1 has picked up the UK rights to new US crime drama Lie To Me.

The show, which premiered on Fox in the US last night, stars Tim Roth as an FBI-enlisted scientist who uses body language to detect deception.

"[This] is an exemplary procedural drama and we know it will resonate with Sky's customers," said David Smyth, head of acquisitions at Sky1. "The series has been generating tremendous buzz in the US and has been awarded the much coveted post-American Idol slot."

Lie To Me will air on Sky1 and Sky1 HD from later in the Spring.

I was going to download and possibly post about this today, but not had the time as of yet.

Would it be an idea to change the Topic Title to: Lie To Me ~ Tim Roth

Just wondering as it may cause issues with the search feature, if people use at least part of their brain, they'll hopefully include Roth in the search using titles.

I watched the leaked pilot a week or so ago (I don't know how or if the first episode differs) and thought it was excruciatingly bad. It has basically the same the premise as Numbers and The Mentalist (Mentalist is just about watchable).

Well it wouldn't really work in another genre.

Customer - I'd like Chocolate please!

Tim Roth - LIAR! You're eyes flitted sideways. What flavour Ice Cream do you want?

Customer - OK. I'd like Strawberry please!

Tim Roth - LIAR! You scratched your nose, and tapped your toes!

Customer - Fine. Vanilla.

Tim Roth - One of Two Scoops?

Customer - One?

Tim Roth - Get the hell out of my store.

Doesn't work, see?

Well it wouldn't really work in another genre.

Customer - I'd like Chocolate please!

Tim Roth - LIAR! You're eyes flitted sideways. What flavour Ice Cream do you want?

Customer - OK. I'd like Strawberry please!

Tim Roth - LIAR! You scratched your nose, and tapped your toes!

Customer - Fine. Vanilla.

Tim Roth - One of Two Scoops?

Customer - One?

Tim Roth - Get the hell out of my store.

Doesn't work, see?

I would bet that this little 10 second script excerpt was more entertaining than the entire pilot of Lie To Me. Your little script is pretty perfect for a sketch comedy, actually.

I haven't seen this, and don't really intend to, but it sounds like they've missed a trick by not taking the 'By day he assists law enforcement, with his expertise in body language and keen eye to spot a liar, by night he's a highly skilled underground poker player' angle.

Man, I should write for TV.

I think the people who write this stuff are skilled too, it's just that the network will only pay for shows that follow a formula. In this case, the 'Detective with a special skill' formula that's been done about 500 million times since Monk. And it's not just the premise, every episode will follow the same structure as every other one, and the main characters backstory arc (which is no doubt something to do with his special skill) will be filled out gradually throughout the series. It's writing by numbers.

Next, when he said Cal had no idea what he was talking about, he apparently gave a one-sided shrug. It's barely visible even in the slowed down footage, which leads me to believe this show must be a pain in the ass to be a guest star on. "Okay, shrug! Shrug smaller! Smaller! Tiny shrug! Wrong, wrong, wrong!"

:)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I've recently bought myself an online course related to this. You'd think it would be absolutely rubbish but so far it's been a real eye opener. I've started observing people and the subtle gestures their making. Although I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it's told me some of the easy ways to tell if someone's recalling a genuine memory or a fabricated one, picking up some of what they're really thinking (micro-expressions are covered later in the course), anxiety, whether someone's genuinely interested, feigning or hiding something. I've also tested on my housemate without her knowledge to backup some of what it's saying and so far seems to be pretty good :) It's quite complicated though as it can be based on environmental factors and a number of other factors. It also takes a lot of practise.

I guess it helps that I liked the original series, but it's definitely something I'm genuinely interested in and can see myself completing.