Games Industry Dead Pool

Superstar Saga is one of those games that seemed to come out of nowhere and was a constant succession of delightful surprises. Even if like most JRPGs I could never finish the end boss. (It also helped me through one of my worst train rides ever.)

Sounds like we'll be getting fewer games like Blood & Truth and Wipeout in the future, and more games like Twisted Metal VR: Come At Me Bro, where that clown guy shouts at you while drinking beer out of those red cups they have and tries to punch you in the tummy.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
9 hours ago, deKay said:

If the Xbox X Series X One S X Dash Alpha S doesn’t perform well I can see big cuts across all these devs MS pocketed.

Nah, MS are moving to the Netflix model.

If they don't have a good growth in game pass subs then yes, they are in trouble - but I don't think they will be judged in game sales or console sales, just active subs.

Perhaps they will get smart with it and look at time played / percentage game pass users downloaded.

Seems like Skip Ltd. (bit Generations, Captain Rainbow, Chibi-Robo!) might be on its way out/already gone as well :(

Skip’s website can no longer be accessed and simply brings up an error. Another troubling sign is that Skip’s name is missing entirely from the street placard where the studio was previously located, and it looks like another company now occupies that space. CEO Hiroshi Suzuki has even removed the official website from his Twitter bio.

Although there’s been no official notice regarding the company’s closure, things aren’t looking good at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Not dead, but Sega Sammy recently announced that most of their Sega Entertainment subsidiary, which manages their arcade locations, will be sold:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-04-sega-sammy-sells-arcade-business-sega-entertainment-to-genda-inc

Now Sega Sammy Holdings is looking for 650 employees to volunteer to leave the company:

https://soranews24.com/2020/11/06/segas-troubles-continue-as-parent-company-asks-hundreds-of-employees-to-to-quit-their-jobs/

Not a bad severance package though: 10 billion yen divided by 650 employees averages nearly $150k each!

Ugh, yet more consolidation.

I look forward to "Rockstar Leamington" being closed by Take 2 after their first slight commercial wobble.  As much as that would be poetic justice for the many times Codies have done the same.