IGNORED

Credit Crunch hits EVE Online

Rayn

Full article:

Stupidly complicated sci-fi MMO EVE Online is experiencing its very own financial crisis this week after a player ran of with ISK 80 billion.

The player in question, who goes by the name of Xabier, had been employed as an investments manager by player-run Dynasty Banking. His job gave him access to funds invested in the bank by other players.

As reported by Massively.com, Xabier has admitted to running off with ISK 86 billion worth of assets.

The bank's chairman, Manalapan, has issued a statement trying to clear things up.

"I would like to point out that it is still not known for certain whether Xabier has, for lack of a better word, scammed," said Manalapan.

"What we DO know is that he has missed a dividend payment on a personal bond." Oh. "And his bio now states, 'Thanks for all the fish.'" Ah.

Manalapan went on to promise investors that Dynasty Banking will cover the cost of any misdemeanours. "We assure you that we have enough ISK in reserves and, if the situation arises, assets to cover this loss and continue moving forward for the future."

Another player-run firm, EBANK, has offered to help out if things get really tough. "From what I have seen after talking to Manalapan it's quite likely EBANK won't need to assist at all but it can't hurt to have that extra backup just in case," said managing director Ricdic.

Source: Eurogamer

In some way, I think this is brilliant. It's sad for all the players this will affect, but a scam of this scale in a videogame must be a new one? If nothing else, these news has made me want to renew my 5 year old account :unsure:

Full article:

Source: Eurogamer

In some way, I think this is brilliant. It's sad for all the players this will affect, but a scam of this scale in a videogame must be a new one? If nothing else, these news has made me want to renew my 5 year old account :lol:

Awesome! MMOs need more player freedom so stories like this can arise. There are some truly brilliant EVE stories out there. I wish I could remember where it was, but there was a great story about a fake investment that ended up spilling over into the real world and causing all sorts of lols.

In some way, I think this is brilliant. It's sad for all the players this will affect, but a scam of this scale in a videogame must be a new one?

Nah, there have been bigger ones before. In Eve, unsurprisingly: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3331992. (I think the value of that one turned out to have been overestimated/exaggerated, but I'm sure it was still worth a lot more than 86 billion.)

I seem to recall in the European server of Star Wars Galaxies, a player was actually penalised by the devs. Apparently he was so wealthy that it was damaging to the player-run economy on his server. I remember seeing the floor of his house lined with holocrons; anyone who played SWG in the early days will know how much money that means he had.

How much did that Geordie bloke get? I remember watching his videos after the whole sent to jail, dying of cancer story.

He wasn't a Geordie, he was a Smoggie. :lol:

He claimed he'd got around 800-900 billion, but that turned out to be wildly exaggerated, I think. It was probably still more than this one, though (and ISK's not worth as much as it was then, as it's easier to come by afaik).

Rather strangely, reading that has made me want to play EVE Online now...

Would it be within the other players boundaries to launch a mass assault on this guy and royally fuck him over forever in-game, forcing him to retreat to a distant area of space, never to reveal his face again... or will he?

Is 86 billion Isk actually worth anything of use, though? I mean outside the game?

If someone just leaves the game and steals all of it, is he doing anything other than being a twat? I mean is ebay'ing Isk acceptable in EVE Online?

He has to have left EVE altogether, otherwise everyone in the entire galaxy will be looking for him.

They won't interfere with it because it's part of the game. You're allowed to rip people off in Eve: it's considered their own fault for not being careful enough to hold onto their possessions. As DNA implied, the solutions for player redress are available within the game.

And yeah, it's breaking T&Cs to eBay ISK (for a fair sum of real world money, or at least that's how it used to be), but that doesn't stop people.

Its all good publicity for the game in the end. Isnt there some new planetery atmosphere and walking around in space station stuff about to be launched.

Yeah... I even think it's already been released. From what I've gathered, you can now leave your ship when docked, and walk around the space stations.

See this is why I never put my money in a bank in eve. Not worth the risk. I would rather it be used to fund ships for me to die in.

Anyway 86 billion isk just happens to be roughly the right amount to buy a Titan.

For those of you that don't know the eve universe this kind of thing has happened quite a few times. Some of the scams are truely epic in their planning and scale.

The next expansion for eve in a couple of months will give us tech 3 ships aslo known as lego ships i.e make your own fly it and die horribly in it. The station ambulation stuff looks to be coming on a treat though and I plan on opening a bar in some seady shithole station and serve over priced drinks. Also I'll get the whip out to the exotic dancers for you all.

Even you would be welcome Gorf. :)

It's the largest class of ship in eve, only about 50 ish of them in the game. They are equiped with a "Doomsday" device which can wipe out hundreds of ships in a single shot. It takes people a lot of time, money and effort to build one or if someone sells one they tend to cost about 85 to 90 billion isk.

It's the largest class of ship in eve, only about 50 ish of them in the game. They are equiped with a "Doomsday" device which can wipe out hundreds of ships in a single shot. It takes people a lot of time, money and effort to build one or if someone sells one they tend to cost about 85 to 90 billion isk.

So if he does buy one then noone will be able to hunt him down and kill him? Amazing.

Awesome! MMOs need more player freedom so stories like this can arise. There are some truly brilliant EVE stories out there. I wish I could remember where it was, but there was a great story about a fake investment that ended up spilling over into the real world and causing all sorts of lols.

Could be in this topic. Whilst people say he made parts of it up, it's still a great, fun read and a lot more comprehensible than some of the other stuff.

I don't really understand this, but I'm fascinated. Who would build a Titan? Who would buy one? How long does it take to save up? How do you get money? Would people think you're amazing if you have one?

Please give me the dummies (insider) guide to EVE...

You get money from things like running missions (simple quests essentially), killing NPCs that hang around asteroid belts, mining and selling the resulting minerals or building stuff like ships and modules out of them.

Titans can only really be assembled in player controlled space. You basically need a very large number of minerals (mined or bought) and other components, stick them in a space station for a month or so and bingo bango you have a titan (well, not quite, but that's the idea).

However, you need to protect said station since if it goes pop, so does your embryonic titan. The amount of logistics required to get something like this out without it being destroyed by your enemies means it's pretty much the playground of Alliances who generally keep their capital ship yards and said logistics operations a closely guarded secret. Titan capable pilots are usually shared around a few people in the alliance so they can be available round the clock, they're that much of an investment.

If you were a suitably rich individual you could probably get someone to build you one, but they really require decent fleet support, and a titan caught on its own is often a dead titan. Getting a titan kill is still big news, and Eve players take great pleasure in depriving others of their expensive toys.