IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

So I started watching Buffy after my girlfriend lent me the set this week. Anyway I completed season 1 which was kind of hit and miss, I like some of the ideas and of course Whedon is funny as usual in his scripts. However, its season 2 which has really got me hooked with the whole Angel thing, death of Giles's totty and the amazingness of Spike and the principal who are both excellent. I was suprised how dark the stories are considering I remember watching them on occassions on BBC2 but also the monsters were pretty well done also.

Anyway anyone else enjoy Buffy?.

Edited by Silent Runner
Removed NSFW images.

It remains absolutely my favourite TV show. Others come and go, but I can always go back to Buffy and completely immerse myself in Sunnydale with those characters. Rarely approaching bad, and even at its lowest ebbs it's infinitely rewatchable to me. Season 2 in particular is pretty much perfect genre television but the whole thing is shot through with extraordinarily great episodes.

Other than the fish filler episode towards the end, season 2 is pretty much perfect throughout. It's possibly my favourite series of anything, ever. :lol:

The seasons following the third weren't up to quite the same standard, but personally I still loved every single one of them to some extent. Some of my favourite individual episodes came out of them, for a start, not least "The Body", which I won't spoil here.

loved it first time round on tv and for the past few years on and off have been working through the big boxset and are now in the final season.

it's fantastic although seasons 5, 6 and 7 can be a bit of a downbeat slog.

i have the full Angel set sitting here up next too, which i never really bothered with when it was on tv.

Angel's second season - much like Buffy's - is also Absolutely Bloody Brilliant.

Shame about the braindead mess that is season 4, and the rather emo season 3...

Oh, and season 5's also brill. And season 1, actually.

Angel's second season - much like Buffy's - is also Absolutely Bloody Brilliant.

Oddly enough I thought the third season was the best of the lot, followed by the second, fifth and first. Season 4 really was terrible though, not least for absolutely ruining Cordelia. :lol:

I like Buffy/Angel when it's a nice divide between wacky adventuring with a smatter of character development, and arc-heavy episodes with big bangs.

Season 3 of Angel started to lean toward the latter a little too much for me.

God I hated series 2 of Angel, so much so that it put me off the show - I gave up shortly into series 3. It's such a load of fucking boring emo bullshit, moping around over Darla for literally about 20 episodes. It goes absolutely nowhere.

I much preferred the first series, darker in places, lighter in others, Doyle's short tenure was thoroughly enjoyable and the monster of the week storylines were far more memorable than any of the over-arching go-nowhere bollocks the rest of the show seemed to get lost in.

I’m with everyone in this thread; season 2 and 3 are pretty much the best television ever made. The Buffy/Angel love story is brilliantly handled and the Angel/Angelus twist was amazing. From then through to the end of the season is just incredible, the last fight between Buffy and Angel is just heartbreaking. Season 3 is equally good (spoilered as the OP said he’s just up to season 2)

Faith, The Mayor, Angels comeback etc

Unfortunately the wheels kind of come off in season 4.

With the exception of Faith 2 parter and Hush it’s a bit of a mess; the Initiative, Reilly, Oz leaving and Xander, Giles and Spike all left with nothing to do.

I liked season 5 and I thought the ending of season 7 was pretty much perfect.

Season 1 - Patchy.

Season 2 - Amazinger

Season 3 - .Amazing.

Season 4 - Gets a bad rep, but it's actually better than 5, which is...

Season 5 - Still pretty good.

Season 6 - Dire.

Season 7 - Okish.

Done.

Fixed

And Angel

Season 1 - Pretty good. With some very good highs

Season 2 - Amazing

Season 3 - Amazing

Season 4 - Gets a bad rep, but I liked it because I like arcs. Some horrid choices though

Season 5 - Very Patchy. Veers from very horrid to very good, but is rarely "average"

I started rewatching the whole thing back at the start of December and I’m just coming up to the end of season 4. I can’t believe Clov and Hexx rate it. Nothing happens, the support characters are totally underused, the most boring character in the shows history

(Reilly)

is given a major role,

the Initiative (can someone explain why they pretended to be students and built their secret lab under a frat house?) Adam.

It’s almost as bad as Angel season 1 and that’s BAD.

Because they are near to the Hellmouth and it allows

a large group of young soldiers to operate in the area incognito.

I don't get why anybody had a problem with The Initiative or Adam, I liked them both and the final

dream episode

of the series was great! Plus it had

Hush, bullet time, and lesbianism.

Some good points there.

I think my problem with Adam was how rubbish he looked, just some guy with a half green face and a tinfoil mask on. He was pretty good as a baddie though, it was nice that they faced an unstoppable killer and not some supernatural thing. The last episode is excellent.

I started rewatching the whole thing back at the start of December and I’m just coming up to the end of season 4. I can’t believe Clov and Hexx rate it. Nothing happens, the support characters are totally underused, the most boring character in the shows history

(Reilly)

is given a major role,

the Initiative (can someone explain why they pretended to be students and built their secret lab under a frat house?) Adam.

It’s almost as bad as Angel season 1 and that’s BAD.

Because while in general it's pretty poo it has some very good highes.

4 and 5 are about the same actually.

My girlfriend is completely addicted to Buffy and she recently got the boxset since it was on offer for £50 on Amazon. Watched quite a few episodes and I can slowly feel myself getting hooked as well.

Hush is brilliant,

The Gentlemen are genuinely fucking terrifying

Well I finished the 2 parter from Season 2 and it was amazzzingg!!. Really loved the whole scene with Buffy's mom and Spike in the sitting room and like many have said the end was really well done. Season 3 here we go!. The only downer to the series was the Go Fish episode which was pretty lame in comparsion to everything that happened before and plus Xander, poor old Xander you deluded fool:).

Also is Angel that good?, I don't realy like Angel that much in the series he's bearable but I'm willingly to give the series ago after Buffy if enough people recommend it.

I loved that episode. I watched 'Bad Eggs' a few days ago, which was atrocious.

I absolutley love Go Fish - the Xander and Cordelia bits, the fishman eating the coach and the last shot of the fishmen swimming out to sea is all good.

Hush is brilliant,

The Gentlemen are genuinely fucking terrifying

The lead Gentleman was played by the same guy who played Pan in Pans Labrynth, according to the Buffywiki.

Also is Angel that good?, I don't realy like Angel that much in the series he's bearable but I'm willingly to give the series ago after Buffy if enough people recommend it.

It's brilliant. Cordelia is amazing, and new character Doyle is too.

Well I finished the 2 parter from Season 2 and it was amazzzingg!!. Really loved the whole scene with Buffy's mom and Spike in the sitting room and like many have said the end was really well done. Season 3 here we go!. The only downer to the series was the Go Fish episode which was pretty lame in comparsion to everything that happened before and plus Xander, poor old Xander you deluded fool:).

I remember I first watch Buffy on VHS. Which was odd because they realesed "Welcome to the Hellmouth" as 1, then 2 random episodes, then "Innocence" 2 parter then Becoming 2 parter.. Missed out everything inbetween :rolleyes:

Still loved it though. :)

Angel is well worth a go if you've liked the depressing/dark Buffy. It's also not just about Angel, then whole Ensemble are very good.If you want to "give it a go" it's set concurrently from season 4 - and there's some minor crossover elements.

I found the first season of Angel hard to get through. There’s 2 great Buffy crossovers and 1 really dramatic episode near the middle of the season. Other than that it was fairly pedestrian. Worth sticking with though.

Did Angel end properly like Buffy did? Or just get cancelled or whatever...

It received a proper ending with a huge stand off and a daft back of the head shot episode with Buffy in. Though Angel never received a real final Buffy crossover. The love story just petered out and I think it was down to Gellar being a bint refusing to make an appearance due to her movie career.