IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

Buffy was also my first experience of getting TV from the Internet because the UK was too slow or, in the case of Angel, censored to ribbons.

I used to download 90kbps rips of Buffy from EFNET in several parts on a 32k dial up connection up to season 5. It was so smudgy that I couldn't even make out the monster in eps like 'Listening to Fear'. The episode of Game of Thrones I got the other day is about 6000kbps.

When Sky used to put out episodes in the UK they were sped up and all weird sounding due to lazy NTSC->PAL conversion.

It's a real shame we'll never get to see decent HD versions, even though I do like the lower video quality in S1 and S2. Makes the show feel small and cosy.

• 8 months later...

Currently binging through this, having only ever seen bits of the final episode many years ago. Nearly up to the end of season 4. Going to blab on about some gender stuff now, yay.

The male characters (besides Riley) are becoming increasingly peripheral, and more comic relief than anything. I am particularly surprised by how Willow and Xander seem to have grown apart, he is now probably third in line (after Tara and Buffy) in terms of their importance to her. I feel she has grown as a character whereas he has remained pretty static. I guess most TV shows have the opposite problem though, so it's understandable. All the same I think Xander is a great character, the way his struggle with his own masculinity is portrayed is fantastic. Which is why it's a bit disappointing that in this season, that has mostly been ignored, save for some basement-related jokes.

The presentation of Tara and Willow's burgeoning relationship, devoid of any physical contact besides holding hands, borders on ridiculous. I understand there were some censorship issues, but there have been moments where it literally takes you out of the scene. Oh, so they've just affirmed their love for each other? Guess they better hug. I understand things are alluded to or whatever, but it's rather strange all the same.

It's brilliant, better than anything else I've seen from Whedon tbh. Pretty much every episode is good. Can see how much it's influenced TV since too.

Xander is a shit character, really. He has some awesome moments - such as 'The Zeppo' - but after the school years, he becomes increasingly irrelevant and annoying.

I really wish Whedon had the balls to follow through with the original plan for him in season 7.

After how ham fisted the handling of what happened to Willow was at the end of season 6 I can understand why they changed it. Of course if Serenity hadn't been cancelled and he hadn't decided to shoehorn Nathan Fillion into the show we might have ended up with something completely different to what we got.

Yeah, I listened to the full 30 minute version of that. I didn't think the early part of it would have been very persuasive for someone who'd never had any interest in the series - mostly short clips of season 1 Buffyspeak, which don't really represent why the series is great, and would probably put off more people than they'd attract. But there were some good comments by Whedon, Gaiman and Head*.

Also, the focus on BBC2's part in broadcasting the show, and why its success drove up prices and led to most later US imports going to commercial channels instead of the BBC, was interesting.

* Sounds like a law firm. A rival to Wolfram and Hart maybe? :D

• 3 months later...

Never really had an issue with xander looking too old. Just kind of felt it was normal for older people to play teens (i mean hannigan/Willow was 23 when it started) let alone cordilia/Charisma Carpenter being 37 when it started!! I think she was the only character that really stood out as being too old for the group but that's not to say she wasn't a great character (especially when she went to angel).

let alone cordilia/Charisma Carpenter being 37 when it started!!

WTF? Charisma Carpenter was born in 1970 and Buffy started in 1996. She was still only 34 when Angel finished in 2004.

• 7 months later...

I started watching Buffy again just before xmas. I've watched 6 episodes (doubt ill get through them that quick) and maybe it really does show how old some of them look!

In any case, it's darker than i remember it being even though season 1 as a whole was a bit so-so. I think the next episode is i robot, you jane which i remember as being one of the worst episodes but as season one is shorter it shouldn't be too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I was doing a ritual re-watch of Buffy/Angel recently, and I found that in the 'monster-of-the-week' episodes (as in, non-arc episodes) the writers seemed to be having lots of fun. The first ep I noticed it in was the preying-mantis-teacher one, but certainly up until the end of season 3, I found the 'non-essential' episodes to be great fun. I even enjoyed Go Fish!

On 1/18/2015 at 1:26 AM, Goose said:

Charisma Carpenter has made a 50 Shades of Grey knock-off

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4145324/

Sounds really good. Definitely need to check it for the ummm plot.

NSFW

Spoiler
Edited by Silent Runner
Link to NSFW

I think most of the "best" bits are in that reddit thread that jimmyzilla posted,although am tempted to give it a watch.

Finished season 2 last night, for some reason I though Faith made an appearance but that must be season 3. Thought she was in it longer than just season 3? Can't remember her showing up in Season 4, although maybe she does (i certainly remember she appears in one or two episodes of angel).