IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

• 1 year later...

Don't know if anyone has posted these before, might be interesting for some hardcore Buffy fans or just people generally interested in the work of stuntmen.

Jeff Pruitt, who was the stunt coordinator for the first 4 seasons of Buffy (and is married to Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy stunt double), took these videos while on set and has uploaded them over the past few years. They offer fans a nice look behind the scenes and into the stunt work of the first few years of the show. Loads more can be found on his channel :) 

You definitely should!!! :)

I've suggested two episodes

Spoiler

Hush and The Body

to my prof from the film sound and film music lecture, but he hasn't seen them,  so I will lend him the DVDs and then he might include them some time later in the semester. :wub:

Oh yeah, if you haven't started Angel, that's definitely a must! :omg:

When it comes to TV shows Buffy is and probably always will be my all time favourite, despite any problems it might have in the later seasons. It is absolutely worth watching and I've converted tons of people over the years who either had no clue what it was or thought it was "just a dumb teen show with monsters". 

Angel is fantastic as well, a truly well done spin-off that is clearly set in the same world but separate enough, with its own identity, to be worth watching and not feel like a repeat.

I've been trying to wait a few more years before I do another rewatch but talking about the shows makes that so much harder, argh! I miss those characters :(

You know, with the current TV trend of reviving old shows (24, Prison Break, Heroes, X-Files) and Joss Whedon now gone from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I'm shocked that there hasn't been rumblings of them trying to bring the show back for some sort of mini-series. It's not as if the cast are up to much these days.

Entertainment media have tried their best to create such rumblings, but nobody seems that interested in taking the bait. I think some of the cast have said it would be best to leave it as it is, for fear of it turning out shit. 

It's very rare any show can return after such a long time and successfully continue on with the same quality. Mostly it's better they don't try I think. Although I am looking forward to the return of Deadwood and I'd love to see that Quantum Leap mini series A Bold Leap Forward finally get made. 

I've been trying to wait a few more years before I do another rewatch but talking about the shows makes that so much harder, argh! I miss those characters 

I know what you mean. I did my big rewatch (of both Buffy *and* Angel. In order!) a year and a bit ago but I'm sorely tempted to go back (and to DS9 - thanks, Star Trek thread!). I even went on to the comics after I'd watched Angel season 5 for what must have been the hundredth time.

Did you ever get into the comics? The ones immediately following the shows (Buffy Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall) weren't much cop - in both cases they strayed too far from what had made the series great in the first place, especially After the Fall - imagine the Pylea arc from the end of season 2 but stretched out for a whole season and being neither funny nor any good. However the subsequent 'seasons' have been much better - in particular, anything written by a Mr Christos Gage. He's great, and really captures the voice of the characters. It's just like having them back! I also like how Buffy has grown with the comic - she's in her thirties now and wondering about the direction of her life. It gives things a nice Hellblazer-esque link to the real world.

I'm about a year behind on the comics, actually, so I've got a nice little binge there to look forward to!

After the Fall just struck me as tonally wrong - it was mean-spirited in places, and didn't in any way follow on thematically from the rather excellent season 5 of Angel. Buffy suffered a similar thing in season 8 - a sense of the writers going 'right, in a comic there is no budget' which is great up to a point, but not when you're forgetting the character stuff that made people fall in love with the series in the first place. The stuff IDW did after "After the Fall" was much better, but has been stricken from 'canon' as far as I know. Angel & Faith was much better, in any case, and Buffy season 9 onwards has been great.

Yeah I heard about that, and season 8 was like, WAY out there. Gonna allow myself the first two arcs of season 9 for my next birthday, methinks :) I have no idea when to get into the Angel comics though. One day, ooone day! 

Just do Angel & Faith rather than worry about reading them all - they're published alongside Buffy season 9/10 and the Christos Gage-written issues in particular are very good. If there's a downside, it's that it is literally just Angel and Faith - as far as I'm aware, not many other characters have shown up (though I believe your namesake has!).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to bring this thread back to life (appropriately enough) I though Season 6 did have a lot of positives.

While the Trip were deliberately light light hearted and their motives not always clear they did in many ways counter balance the darkness the main characters were going through, from Willows addiction to Buffy's depression etc and in many ways caught Buffy more off guard than more traditional demonic Big Bad's

They also acted as something of a smokescreen and then catalyst for the real Big Bad that series

Also I thought the series 6 episode "Normal Again" was one of the truly outstanding episode premises. It all fits. Very clever and references events in previous seasons (moment of lucidity last summer but her friends pulled her back in, she created a sister due to the need for a familial bond but that created inconsistencies etc)

Also thought the "Dead Things" episode had some nice connections back to series 3 and Faith for example

So Series 6 - not as bad as some

would have you believe

They reference the underwhelming Trio in the episode "Normal Again"

Series 6 is certainly divisive but I thought considering that Series 5 effectively ended the show neatly and they presumably weren't expecting to do more shows that they explored some interesting ideas and concepts in Series 6. 

3 is my favourite season of the show in terms of consistency (plus Faith is total win! She has some interesting character arcs in the two parter in Series 4 and particularly in Angel) however the highs of certain other series are arguably higher than anything in 3 but 3 is consistent I think.

43 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

They reference the underwhelming Trio in the episode "Normal Again"

Series 6 is certainly divisive but I thought considering that Series 5 effectively ended the show neatly and they presumably weren't expecting to do more shows that they explored some interesting ideas and concepts in Series 6. 

3 is my favourite season of the show in terms of consistency (plus Faith is total win! She has some interesting character arcs in the two parter in Series 4 and particularly in Angel) however the highs of certain other series are arguably higher than anything in 3 but 3 is consistent I think.

I think that a sixth season was always assured so when they ended Season 5 they definitely knew they were coming back for another season.