IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

It's hard to believe it was filmed sssooo long ago. I went back to series 1 recently and the sets looked tiny, cramped and terrible :lol: But it was such a great show for the time. I got into it back in the day when they released a few movie VHS films with the one in the mall with the Master, a bazooka and Buffy.

12 hours ago, mdn2 said:

They didn't. The show was up in the air after S5 and ended up switching networks for S6. 

Well, the announcement that the show was moving to UPN (and it was a bidding war, both UPN and the WB wanted the show) was made on April 21st - http://mobile.nytimes.com/2001/04/21/business/buffy-moving-to-upn-tries-to-be-wb-slayer.html?_r=0 - and the finale aired  on May 22nd.

I suppose it may not have absolutely clear cut at the time of filming the finale what would happen but I don't think cancellation was ever a serious possibility. WB was pretty pissed that the studio made the decision to move UPN rather than stay on CW. If UPN hadn't wanted the show a renewal on the WB was assured. 

• 4 months later...

Can't believe everytime i watch this from the beggining, i end up stop watching it during season 4. That's three times it's happened over the past 15 years. One day i shall just start from near the end of Season 4. (although i did watch it all on the original run).

God I used to love this show. I was convinced most people just couldn't see how clever it was and just dismissed it as frothy teen nonsense. The subtext and the way it tackled serious subjects with a darkly comic whimsy was just really well done. It's not inaccurate to say that it was one of the true breakthrough shows in the sense that it transcended its genre and reached beyond its core audience of teens and young adults. I was in my early 20's when I discovered it and it remains one of my favourite shows ever.

Wow, 20 years old. Hard to believe but now I definitely feel old. I wonder if I still have the dvd boxsets..

Even the BBC has a little article on it, albeit not really worth reading, it's incredibly lazy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: How the show influenced modern entertainment - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39229395

A.V. Club is doing an 11 Questions Buffy series:

Tom Lenk (Andrew)

Adam Busch (Warren)
Nicholas Brendon (Xander)

James Marsters (Spike)

Danny Strong (Jonathan)

Amber Benson (Tara)

Theres talk now and then about the lack of female role models on tv and i just think back to Buffy. Strong female role model, not just physically but mentally/emotionally to and then theres same sex relationships that arent tacky and seem organic as a person grows  and learns about themselves. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. But moreso than that its just good bloody telly! And i still lust after Willow :wub:

Angel season 5 is sensational and easily as good as best of the Buffster. 

4 hours ago, Illyria said:

David Boreanaz reflects on his time working on Buffy and Angel. The interview also features a little George Lucas anecdote.

What is your biggest takeaway from Buffy? Was there a piece of advice or something else you picked up while working on the show that you carried with you through the years that’s been useful in the projects that followed?

Technically, eyelines, finding your light. I was good at finding my light and recognizing it. 

Or avoiding his light, in his character's case. 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing amazing show. So many iconic characters, spectacular episodes and infinitely quotable dialogue. Truly landmark TV that has influenced a lot of other shows.

Angel too was just a truly brilliant show. One of the few spin offs from a mega popular show/franchise that was awesome in its own right, had its own feel but was still true to its origins and also had some amazing moments.

I think the biggest thing for me (in both shows) was the truly detailed and organic character

arca that many of the main characters went through. Wesley for example is, for me, a true stand out in terms of where his character began and the journey he went on and the character he became. It felt organic and right that he would become that character over that series of plot lines and events. However this is true for so many of the characters in both shows. They all had their chance to shine and a chance to develop and grow.

Masterful stuff.

*so tempted to break out the box sets again*

Wesley's journey is amazing, as is Cordelia's (before being somewhat de-railed by season 4 of Angel). My one regret of the two series is that there weren't a few more crossovers between the two - and I'd have much preferred, say, Xander showing up in Angel season 5 instead of

Spoiler

Andrew.

I fear my box-sets may be opening as we speak...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/03/2017 at 21:08, Grey Fox said:

Wesley for example is, for me, a true stand out in terms of where his character began and the journey he went on and the character he became. It felt organic and right that he would become that character over that series of plot lines and events.

He has the greatest arc of any character in any television show I've ever seen. He goes from:

Spoiler

Needing rules and his intellect to protect him, to needing first Buffy, then Angel to do that, to self-reliance through knowledge, then his dogmatic nature scuppering him when he chooses to believe the written word over his instincts and emotions, to self-hatred and disgust, and finally to wisdom and acceptance. 

I've mentioned his final scene in the series before, as it's utterly amazing and heartbreaking, but I also think the scene where he:

Spoiler

Shoots his 'Dad' dead, with no hesitation

...is absolutely amazing. A violent act, but it shows that Fred has made him connect - for the first time in his life - with his raw emotions. Having a set of writers who can develop that balance (over two shows, no less) is just fantastic. I put it above Jessie's arc in Breaking Bad as the greatest example of this in TV.