IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

5 hours ago, Treble said:

He has the greatest arc of any character in any television show I've ever seen. He goes from:

Reveal hidden contents

Needing rules and his intellect to protect him, to needing first Buffy, then Angel to do that, to self-reliance through knowledge, then his dogmatic nature scuppering him when he chooses to believe the written word over his instincts and emotions, to self-hatred and disgust, and finally to wisdom and acceptance. 

I've mentioned his final scene in the series before, as it's utterly amazing and heartbreaking, but I also think the scene where he:

Reveal hidden contents

Shoots his 'Dad' dead, with no hesitation

...is absolutely amazing. A violent act, but it shows that Fred has made him connect - for the first time in his life - with his raw emotions. Having a set of writers who can develop that balance (over two shows, no less) is just fantastic. I put it above Jessie's arc in Breaking Bad as the greatest example of this in TV.

Tottally! Ace post. 

If Alyson was in that pic i couldnt handle the sexiness, two fine, fine ladies and a handsome dude.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2018 at 15:52, Treble said:

He has the greatest arc of any character in any television show I've ever seen. He goes from:

Reveal hidden contents

Needing rules and his intellect to protect him, to needing first Buffy, then Angel to do that, to self-reliance through knowledge, then his dogmatic nature scuppering him when he chooses to believe the written word over his instincts and emotions, to self-hatred and disgust, and finally to wisdom and acceptance. 

I've mentioned his final scene in the series before, as it's utterly amazing and heartbreaking, but I also think the scene where he:

Reveal hidden contents

Shoots his 'Dad' dead, with no hesitation

...is absolutely amazing. A violent act, but it shows that Fred has made him connect - for the first time in his life - with his raw emotions. Having a set of writers who can develop that balance (over two shows, no less) is just fantastic. I put it above Jessie's arc in Breaking Bad as the greatest example of this in TV.

Wesley was fantastic - except in Season 4, where everyone was miserable, and he was jumping around in slow-motion with two pistols every other episode.

Angel always strikes me as a slightly unusual series in that it is more than the sum of it's parts. I love the series, but I can't easily name as many amazing single episodes as I can with Buffy (which, ironically is probably a series which is ultimately less than the sum of it's parts). That season 4 is one very long quite disjointed episode doesn't help. I often find with arc based series these days that you lose the one off amazing episodes that older series may have acidentally arrived at since whilst the series overall is very good, ultimately it often ends up being a bit of a samey blob in that the individual episodes always have to shoe horn in the overriding arc. 

I agree that Angel probably doesn’t have as many obviously standout episodes as Buffy (possibly due to there being less variance in quality/theme?), but I love the final season, and the series finale might still be my single favourite episode of anything ever.

I hadn’t realised it was on Prime now - that makes the rewatch I’ve never gotten around to slightly more likely, and I might go watch the last episode (or two) now...

2 hours ago, JDubYes said:

I agree that Angel probably doesn’t have as many obviously standout episodes as Buffy (possibly due to there being less variance in quality/theme?), but I love the final season, and the series finale might still be my single favourite episode of anything ever.

I hadn’t realised it was on Prime now - that makes the rewatch I’ve never gotten around to slightly more likely, and I might go watch the last episode (or two) now...

Very true. Great final season and much better finale episode than Buffy. We all bemoan it ended at 5 but perhaps that saved us from a Season 6/7 decline like Buffy. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 05/11/2018 at 00:09, McCoy said:

We all bemoan it ended at 5 but perhaps that saved us from a Season 6/7 decline like Buffy. 

I watched Buffy last year for the first time, absolutely amazing show, then halfway through season 7 I just... stopped. Just couldn't be bothered with it any more. The whole thing was so downbeat, the characters were just miserable constantly, and it didn't have any of the humour or energy that had drawn me to it originally. I only had about ten episodes left to go but had no motivation to watch them at all.

It's been said a million times but they had the perfect ending in season 5, and should have just quit at that point. Even "Once More With Feeling" didn't justify the two years that followed.