IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

Just finished watching the episode body and it has to be one of the best tv or movie moments I seen. Everything was pitched so perfectly and I was blubbering throughout the episode. The only snag although minor was the vampire in the last scene which for me wasn't needed with all the trauma already flying.

Anyway I post a better reply but I'm on my iPhone and going to watch thenext episode but I was so blown away I hadto log in and reply. Even thoughi invested alotof time in the characters the whole episode was just brilliant . Whedon observations and writing really now has me 100% converted.

But yeah damn:(

I concur. While I couldn't really call it my favourite episode of Buffy as the show hooked me with the blend of drama, comedy and action and this is pure drama I do think that on a technical level The Body is the finest piece of television ever made. It's certainly the finest piece of television dealing with the death of a loved one. It's all about Anya. The background of her character allows for an exploration of the tragedy far beyond anything that can be achieved in a non-fantasy show.

I think the vampire is a very important part of the episode, albeit done with less subtlety than other parts that push the same message. The world outside of the people around the body are still living their (un)lives. We see it with the Doctor lying to Buffy, the paramedics taking time to arrive, the children outside and Xander getting the parking ticket. The vampire is just a stark reminder of that fact. Even in a tragedy real life can still impede and has to be dealt with and for Buffy that meant killing a vampire. It was an important part of what the episode was about. the "negative space" around the body.

I concur. While I couldn't really call it my favourite episode of Buffy as the show hooked me with the blend of drama, comedy and action and this is pure drama...

While it's certainly less amusing than most episodes, for obvious reasons, Xander punching a hole through Willow's wall is hillarious. It shows how much skill went into the writing that a laugh out loud moment fits so perfectly within an otherwise incredibly sad episode.

Finally got to see Once More With Feeling and another notch for Whedon, simply another great TV moment and pretty saucy too with the Willow and Tata scene ohh eer. Simply loved it and a terrific change to the doom and gloom from the past few episodes which I talk about later. With the Body being one of my favourite episodes however, depressingly grim the flipside to this is the wonderful and joyous Once more with feeling which probably be joint favourite.

Anyway have to say started watching S5 and it began well however, the trio...jeeez thats a new low even for Buffy however, I know we go Dark Phoenix later on but man the trio suck and how come they even hater her, their reasons are stupid.

i fucking hated Once More With Feeling. when we saw it again recently it was one of the most uncomfortable tv shows i have ever endured. i just cannot stand musicals.

the Trio start out rubbish but the writing gets much better with Andrew especially.

Ted was fine. Nowhere near 'Bad Eggs'. And what's up with the start of season three? The first two were both fucking dreadful (well, Joss' opener just had no structure and felt really odd). I hate Marti Noxon. Her dialogue is so cringe-worthy. The Faith episode was good, though.

I'm a bit worried. I've seen season three before, but was I wrong to think it was better than the second? So far, it just feels strange.

i fucking hated Once More With Feeling. when we saw it again recently it was one of the most uncomfortable tv shows i have ever endured. i just cannot stand musicals.

If you hate musicals, it's not suprising really.

Once More With Feeling is a fantastic episode of Buffy. It was the perfect time in the season for it, with all the different self contained character stories from that season (and previous seasons even) unavoidably train wrecking. Buffy/Spike, Willow/Tara, Xander/Anya, Buffy/Giles, Buffy/Everyone, Dawn/...erm, yeah whatever. They all had their reveals in one way or another, with the Buffy vs Everyone uber reveal about being dragged from heaven crushing them all. There's no way they could have got all that into one episode with even half of the emotion that the musical genre gave to it. Amazing storytelling.

And musically, well obviously some of the actors aren't strong singers (or in Hannigan's case not even mediocre) but I actually quite like this within the context of the episode - after all the whole reason for the singing in the first place is a demon that makes everyone erupt into song. It doesn't make them good singers, it just makes them sing. This makes the (in places) dodgy singing and dancing plausible and acceptable (and more FUN for it, imo). That's not making excuses, it's just it's not just a musical episode, for the sake of it. Cleverly done, I think.

And as I mention, fun.

Overall I think it's wonderful. In fact, I'm going to watch it now.

• 7 months later...

Finished season 7 yesterday, its quite difficult to know if I liked it or not. It was waaaay more emo and down than all previous season with season 5 I think Buffy going to college being the worst. It was sad to see it end but I'm reading the comics now which is season 8 if it ever did happen and SMG stayed on.

Anyway stuff I liked from Season 7 were Andrew, he was just really funny and despite me hating the trio I liked him redeeming himself through the season.

Stuff I hated:

Poor Anya - Hated what they did to her. Firstly to split up and then to piss me royally off kill her.

Spike and Buffy.

• 5 months later...

Having caught a few scattered episodes from throughout the whole series' run over the years (including some of the second half of season 2, "The Body", "Normal Again" and some of the episodes leading up to the season 7 finale), over the last few months I've been working my way through the series from the start via Lovefilm rentals.

It turned out I'd never seen any episodes of season 3 before. I didn't think much of the start of the season, although of course the Mayor was a consistently fantastic villain right from the start. But from about a third of the way through, the season is an absolutely amazing run of episodes, with things like "The Wish", "Band Candy", "Lover's Walk", "Earshot" (hearing Oz's thoughts!) and "Doppelgangland". And just when I'm thinking that Xander's being really underused except to deliver the occasional one-liner, along comes "The Zeppo"! As a whole, I preferred season 3 to 2 - well, gosh! :wub:

I'm currently about three discs into season 4. From what I gather, it's mostly downhill from now on? :( Yeah, "Beer Bad" lived down to its reputation. And disappointing to know that

Oz's abrupt leaving will never really be properly resolved - from what I hear he hasn't even turned up in the season 8 comics yet

. But the other episodes have been pretty good. Spike and Harmony's wacky antics have been great fun (so far). Also liked Angel in "Pangs" wondering why everyone keeps assuming he's evil again.

I've never seen a single episode of Angel The Spin-Off Series Which Was Set In LA - I'll probably start watching that between Buffy seasons 4 and 5.

Having caught a few scattered episodes from throughout the whole series' run over the years (including some of the second half of season 2, "The Body", "Normal Again" and some of the episodes leading up to the season 7 finale), over the last few months I've been working my way through the series from the start via Lovefilm rentals.

It turned out I'd never seen any episodes of season 3 before. I didn't think much of the start of the season, although of course the Mayor was a consistently fantastic villain right from the start. But from about a third of the way through, the season is an absolutely amazing run of episodes, with things like "The Wish", "Band Candy", "Lover's Walk", "Earshot" (hearing Oz's thoughts!) and "Doppelgangland". And just when I'm thinking that Xander's being really underused except to deliver the occasional one-liner, along comes "The Zeppo"! As a whole, I preferred season 3 to 2 - well, gosh! :wub:

I'm currently about three discs into season 4. From what I gather, it's mostly downhill from now on? :unsure: Yeah, "Beer Bad" lived down to its reputation. And disappointing to know that

Oz's abrupt leaving will never really be properly resolved - from what I hear he hasn't even turned up in the season 8 comics yet

. But the other episodes have been pretty good. Spike and Harmony's wacky antics have been great fun (so far). Also liked Angel in "Pangs" wondering why everyone keeps assuming he's evil again.

I've never seen a single episode of Angel The Spin-Off Series Which Was Set In LA - I'll probably start watching that between Buffy seasons 4 and 5.

Season 2 had the best episodes - but season 3 was a much stronger overall package.

Yeah - it's all down hill from here. In case of Season 6 it may even go underground for a little bit :(

Oz has come up in the comics now, but the comics have gotten...really...really...wierd.

And yeah - watch Angel - It's brilliant, and surpassed the remaining Buffy for the most part

It's not all downhill from season 4... though this is the point of view of a die-hard Buffy fan, the remaining seasons are all peppered with truly outstanding episodes. I honestly never thought Buffy became crap - even when it didn't deliver its best it was always at the very least worth watching.

Angel left... Riley came into it... then the whole Initiative thing... then the music guy left... then we got some retard doing the music for the rest of the series...

The whole atmosphere of the show had changed for the worse; it'd gotten so bad that by season 7, when Joss picked up his pen and wrote "Conversations with Dead People", the absolute gulf that had developed between the quality of his script compared to every other writer on the show was ridiculously apparent.

And bloody Glory.

Oh, for sure.

Season 7's probably my least favourite of the lot, since it doesn't really have a lot of good stand-alone episodes like the ones you describe.

It's like they suddenly thought "let's make it all serialized!" and then realised they didn't have a fucking clue what to do with it.

It remains absolutely my favourite TV show. Others come and go, but I can always go back to Buffy and completely immerse myself in Sunnydale with those characters. Rarely approaching bad, and even at its lowest ebbs it's infinitely rewatchable to me. Season 2 in particular is pretty much perfect genre television but the whole thing is shot through with extraordinarily great episodes.

I've not seen this before (the thread, not buffy) and I immediately wondered how long it would take you to start professing your love for it. Three posts though, that's a bit tardy.

I didn't even finish season 7, and I was a massive fan back in series 2 and 3. Season 6 I finished out of a sense of duty, but I really wasn't liking it that much anymore. Still, no dead cats in bags though. Angel was the same, once Connor came into it I lost interest.

The whole atmosphere of the show had changed for the worse; it'd gotten so bad that by season 7, when Joss picked up his pen and wrote "Conversations with Dead People", the absolute gulf that had developed between the quality of his script compared to every other writer on the show was ridiculously apparent.

That would be a brilliant point if four writers hadn't co-written that episode, only one of whom was Whedon, who didn't even get a credit.

Sorry. Carry on. You were saying?

It's not all downhill from season 4... though this is the point of view of a die-hard Buffy fan, the remaining seasons are all peppered with truly outstanding episodes. I honestly never thought Buffy became crap - even when it didn't deliver its best it was always at the very least worth watching.

riley_s5.jpg

The defence rests your honour.

Yes! An over-abundance of Riley in my Buffy diet blinded me to the fact that one of my favourite episodes of all time was written by a rubbish-head.

I'm not taking responsibility for my almighty fuck-up whatsoever, so long as Riley exists.

I still don't look too fondly on S4 but I've certainly mellowed over the years to the point where I just tolerate it alongside the equally disappointing S6. I think my main issue is that it comes right after the sublime S3, it's probably not that bad really compared to normal telly. S7, on the other hand, DOES NOT EXIST. IT JUST DOESN'T.

Fuck S7. With barbed, poison-coated nuclear weapons.

I find "The Body" really uncomfortable. I often skip past it when I'm running through because it makes me grumpy. It's excellent obviously, but you need to be in a certain mood I think.

Like Ulala I've grown to find more appreciation for S4. The first time round I thought it was rubbish - when it was originally on TV - but as part of watching through the whole show I think it's pretty decent.

I even like Season 6 in some ways. More character-driven stuff, and another great villain (well, I thought so :wub:)

Some of it does get silly, but conversely some of the episodes do remain excellent and I do enjoy watching them time and time again.

On the subject of Oz -

it does get revisited in Season 4