IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

I rewatched all of Buffy and Angel last year, with my wife (who'd never seen them before but had become a Joss Whedon fan because if my incessant nagging). I'd forgotten just how bloody good they were, and thoroughly enjoyed both shows.

I also found, with hindsight, that the seasons were more even than I remembered. Buffy was the first show I watched while active on Internet fan sites (alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, represent) and I remember virulent fan wars about S5 being shit or S4 being terrible, etc etc. (Look, there's some happening just a post above this one.) But when I watched last year, I enjoyed each series for its own merits, and didn't feel any of them were worse off or out of place. I've probably mellowed with age.

There are good things about S5, but the bad outweighs the good. I liked how they tried to lighten up Buffy's character a bit early on, and trying to give Giles a proper place in the show again. There's some good stand-alone stuff in there, but anything involving Glory/Dawn just makes me sigh. Also that fucking music.

Season 5 is a masterpiece compared to 6. Evil Willow is the worst thing that has ever happened. Ever.

But everything pales in comparison to the final season of Angel. Talk about ending on a high. The Spike/Angel scenes were gold. I really need to watch it again.

Season 5 is a masterpiece compared to 6. Evil Willow is the worst thing that has ever happened. Ever.

But everything pales in comparison to the final season of Angel. Talk about ending on a high. The Spike/Angel scenes were gold. I really need to watch it again.

I didn't bother with Angel after Channel 5 (or 4?) stopped after season 1. Thought it was okay, but missing something BUT

Season 5 was on sky at the time a few years later and i thought sod it i'd give it another go. Borrowed my mates S2-S4 VHS tapes... and i was addicted. Some of the episodes where fantastic - the only episodes i didnt really enjoy where the Jasmine episodes at the end of Season 4. Think i ended up watching the three seasons in a couple of weeks, loved the cliff hangers too.

The good thing was, i managed to get the Season 5 episodes straight after and caught up with americas/skys schedule. I ended up watching the last 10 episodes as they where shown on TV. Just a shame they never got another series really but what an ending.

I'd love to rewatch buffy again as it was one of the first big tv shows i ever got into and i have fond memories (although i just remember it going downhill after season 3 somewhat.. although there were some episodes that really stood out - "Hush" springs to mind..

They did get it very firmly back on track for s7 though. Some brilliant moments with the potentials, and the finale was great.

I thought S7 was utterly terrible, bar like two episodes. The set-up was awesome, and then they pissed it down the drain with Buffy's boring speeches to the boring potentials. Was it ever explained WHY there was a seal over the Hellmouth?

Thinking of getting Angel too nice now. I never got into it as much but did see all of season 5. As said before that is how you end a show. Excellent last line. Oddly I've heard that the comics after were what season 6 was supposed to be? Don't see how they could have topped that. Honest, pragmatic and strangely nihilistic.

Been beasting this box set. On to season 3 of Buffy now. Loving it. First couple of episodes have great dialogue and the whole show seems more confident. I think prior to this the only other season I saw all the way though was 6 - which had lots of Spike but also proved you can have to much of a good thing. Was far too grim in tone after the first 6 episodes.

After watching Buffy front-to-back once a year since forever, I personally think (spoilers):

Seasons 4* and 6** are the only truly poor ones. Six clearly flounders because Buffy was meant to finish naturally with the end of season 5 (that perfect send off in The Gift).

Season 4’s just badly conceived from the off. Hey, let’s ditch all the things that make the series great in one go: isolate Xander (turn him back into the Zeppo after he broke out of the role in Graduation Day), ruin Oz’s character, sideline Giles, introduce the frankly awful Maggie and Riley characters, nerf Spike and introduce the weakest big bad of the entire run (Adam). For me, 4’s far and away the worst season.

I think 7 is fine once it gets going (not until episode 7, with the utterly superb Conversations with Dead People) and 5 is maligned because of Dawn but, in retrospect, she’s far less intrusive than you remember (especially when you know her history). Glory’s great and the last episode is amazing.

*with the exceptions of Hush; The Yoko Factor; Primeval

** with the exceptions of Once More, With Feeling; Entropy; Seeing Red

Were the writers really at fault for ruining Oz? From what I remember he said he wanted to leave the show mid season, causing a ton of rewrites were needed.

And am I the only person who absolutely HATED Once More With Feeling?

I cannot fathom how anyone can hate it - except the shit Willow/Tara song.

I didn't bother with Angel after Channel 5 (or 4?) stopped after season 1. Thought it was okay, but missing something.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Angel and thought it was good, but could never escape the feeling that I'd rather be watching Buffy instead. But then from season 3 onwards it's brilliant. OK, admittedly season 4 suffers from loads of obvious compromises in the production behind the scenes, but I still really enjoyed it - and season 5 is just superb.

For the record, clearly the cavemen would win.

Were the writers really at fault for ruining Oz? From what I remember he said he wanted to leave the show mid season, causing a ton of rewrites were needed.

Absolutely they were at fault! A universe of scenarios were at the writers' fingertips and, instead of sending him off in a style that befitted his character, they chose to have him cheat on Willow then leave her. Wretched, lazy decision!

IIRC (and some quick googling didn't say I'm wrong), Seth Green told Whedon he wanted to leave around the time S4 started airing. His last episode was S04E07, so given the lead time in producing episodes, that really doesn't give the writers much wriggle room to set up his departure. I have some sympathy, although I do admit it was clunky.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Angel and thought it was good, but could never escape the feeling that I'd rather be watching Buffy instead. But then from season 3 onwards it's brilliant. OK, admittedly season 4 suffers from loads of obvious compromises in the production behind the scenes, but I still really enjoyed it - and season 5 is just superb.

For the record, clearly the cavemen would win.

Yeah as I say, I did end up watching the entire series a few years later and really enjoyed it - probably more so than Buffy.

• 4 weeks later...