IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

I'm sad he's gone, as he was in lots of things I liked and seemed like a nice chap.

But I'm baffled why everywhere is saying "Buffy Star Dies". He was in, what, 4 episodes?

The BBC described him earlier as "Buffy's Nemesis Ethan Rain". I had a proper nerd strop :D

:(

I can't remember exactly the episode, but one of my favourite bits with Ethan Rayne was after whatever chaos he'd caused was starting to wind down, there's a shot of him essentially trying to tiptoe-sneak out of the scene, but he gets collared by Buffy. It always makes me laugh. I think it might be Band Candy.

I've been on a Buffy marathon over the last few weeks, having stopped watching it as it aired here somewhere in season 2, clearly I quit just as it found its feet. Currently in season 5 and although I'm still a bit baffled at how highly rated the show is, any number of sub-par episodes would be worth slogging through for how good Hush was.

Anyway, a question. Am I going to hate Angel (the series), if I hate Angel? Bad Angel was great but snivelling pussy, lovesick Angel has been incredibly boring to watch as he appears in Buffy.

You'll LOVE Angel. Promise.

I'm currently most of the way through season 7 on my own re-watch right now, and it works so much better as something watched one after the other. Also appreciating Caleb a lot more, because I didn't realise how much of a GOD Fillion was back then.

Yeah Defo go to Angel. It started off to MoTW, and became too serialised by season 4 (Season 5 strongly divides opinion, but still has some corkers) - but in general it was awesome. Better than Buffy at the same time, and really became a different beast.

S4 was far, far too serialised - which would have undoubtedly worked, if it hadn't run into a certain issue.

Still, it had ridiculous 'epic' battles with stupid slo-mo shotgun blasts, and Wesley dual-wielding pistols like a motherfucker. Plus Fat Angel looked ridiculous.

I completed my full Buffy watch though, Season 7 was by far the weakest IMO. The format seemed tired, the jokes didn't seem as funny and the actors (bar Fillion) seemed to be dialing it in. Spike, who is usually the funniest was boring... blah. Anyway, at least it felt like it finished at the right time.

UNLIKE ANGEL! Damn, I picked up season 5... superb, some really great moments. Spike back to being a cocky arsehole, him and Angel acting like an old married couple. A certain leather outfit, and brutal ending. Actually maybe that was the time to end it, leave the crowd wanting more.

Either way it worked, picked up a second hand copy of Season 1, working through it. Been good actually as I don't think I saw any of the episodes after "Hero". There is an episode called "She" however that is basically an episode of Stargate SG1. Seriously, watch it again, the writers have clearly been watching loads of SG1. Great dancing though.

Season 3 of Angel is ace but I think my favourite episode is the second of season two - Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been? It was the first episode of Angel I ever watched, and it really stuck with me - the atmosphere of the setting, the creepiness of the demonic influence - it transcends the rather condescending term 'genre television'.

I completed my full Buffy watch though, Season 7 was by far the weakest IMO. The format seemed tired, the jokes didn't seem as funny and the actors (bar Fillion) seemed to be dialing it in. Spike, who is usually the funniest was boring... blah. Anyway, at least it felt like it finished at the right time.

UNLIKE ANGEL! Damn, I picked up season 5... superb, some really great moments. Spike back to being a cocky arsehole, him and Angel acting like an old married couple. A certain leather outfit, and brutal ending. Actually maybe that was the time to end it, leave the crowd wanting more.

Either way it worked, picked up a second hand copy of Season 1, working through it. Been good actually as I don't think I saw any of the episodes after "Hero". There is an episode called "She" however that is basically an episode of Stargate SG1. Seriously, watch it again, the writers have clearly been watching loads of SG1. Great dancing though.

They did neuter Spike a bit too much - but his exchange with Andrew about onion blossoms while they're riding on his bike is oddly fucking hilarious.

I really didn't like how the last few episodes were handled - with the whole super axe thing, and Angel acting a bit weird (seriously, it was like pilot episode Angel had been sucked back into the show). Oh, and that bloody amulet.

Ah yes the mythic Super Axe :D

I really varied on Angel S5 on the whole hating the dis-connect from S1-4, the massive change in setting, seemingly thematic purpose and focus. Eve. Tempered Glass (or whatever if was called)

But naff me when it worked, it worked. "You're Welcome", "Origin" and the finale being ones that stand out. "Not Fade Away" indeed.

I still think season 5 is an astonishingly well-done bit of television, taken as a whole. As I understand it they were under instruction to drop the story-arc format after season 4 which forced them to be extremely clever in regards to threading a theme through season 5 and the way it all hangs together in the end, whilst, as mentioned above, leaving you wanting more is just amazing.

The whole show is just great, though. I think I might love it a bit more than Buffy, if only because I came to it very late after resisting it for so long.

Does anyone know why Chris Beck didn't do the vast, vast majority of music composing post-season 4? The guy that replaced him was fucking awful. S7 guy was alright, though. Nicely dramatic stuff that really kicked in at the finale.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved that scene. Angel's such a fucking weirdo, really.

Speaking of which, during my recent rewatch of it, in the pilot you see him being proper savvy with using computers and shit to figure stuff out. By season 4, I recall he barely even knows how to use a mouse.

Grr, season 4.