IGNORED

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

While the Buffy S2-S3 combo is as good as the whole thing gets, I'd say Angel is probably a consistently better series overall. Apart from the dreadful Pylea arc in the second half of S2 and the awful mishandling of Cordy in S4 and S5, it's otherwise gold all the way whereas Buffy seasons 4, 6 and oh god especially 7 are really disappointing. The way Joss fucks up his nod to the Phoenix Saga still dismays me to this day.

I was a huge Buffy fan and resisted watching Angel for years, but yeah, I think I may well even prefer it to its parent show. I've got to disagree about the Pylea arc, since I love it far more than is truly reasonable. Plus, coming at the end of quite a heavy season 2 (and finishing at, well, the same time as Buffy season 5) it's a welcome bit of redemptive fluff that sets up some important plot points later on.

I strongly agree about the handling of Cordy; in seasons1-3 she's golden but I find she dips in the latter part of season 3, after returning from holiday with Groo to find the Fang Gang gone to shit. I did enjoy her season 5 appearance, though, even if it didn't make up for the way she's treated in season 4.

Pylea arc is redeemed by a) Wesley's awesome "if you try not to get anyone killed, you get everyone killed" moment and b) "do the Dance of Joy, Numfar" (you all know Numfar was Whedon, right?)

• 1 month later...

I just read through this thread too and I agree, I actually enjoyed season 6 and didn't enjoy season 4. I watched maybe the first 3 seasons as they came out on tv but then my Mum stopped our cable. It was only last year I got all the seasons and marathoned them. It might be that I was/am going through my own quarter life crisis that I was able to appreciate season 6 for the pity party that it is, with Buffy trying to figure out what the hell she's supposed to do now, especially since she doesn't even want to be there. I just empathized. But then, I also like rather morose and/or dark themes anyway.

I've got Angel but I haven't watched it yet because I've seen a few episodes that laid the cheese on heavily which is the reason I didn't like season 4 of Buffy (A few episodes aside).

I think the fact that I watched all the episodes in rapid succession helped me out as well because it was all one stream of storyline, not fragmented as it would've been as broadcasted. I guess I understand the frustration with that season but I still really liked it, far more than the initiative/adam storyline of 4.

After finishing Fringe a while back I was wondering what show to watch next. Some guys on another forum I frequent had been on at me for ages to watch Buffy and Angel. I was really snobbish about it, like, "you want me to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seriously?" But I was bored one evening and thought, what the hell. I enjoyed the first episode, almost gave up after just the second episode, but stuck with it. Passion from season 2 is an episode I've already watched again, it's fucking excellent.

My favourite season is - perhaps controversially reading the comments above - season 6. With my least favourite being season 4 with Adam the demonator, now that was dogshit. But overall, that was fucking fantastic, and I'm gutted it's over.

I've been watching Angel as well, but I got bored of season 4 with two episodes left, fuck me what a shower of shit Angel S4 is. Is it worth sticking with for S5?

Stick with it. It's the low point of the show, but it does have an enjoyable everything-but-the-kitchen-sink appeal to it. The set-up for S5 is superb - as is S5 on the whole. There's not really a duff episode in it.

Thinking of getting Angel too nice now. I never got into it as much but did see all of season 5. As said before that is how you end a show. Excellent last line. Oddly I've heard that the comics after were what season 6 was supposed to be? Don't see how they could have topped that. Honest, pragmatic and strangely nihilistic.

Been beasting this box set. On to season 3 of Buffy now. Loving it. First couple of episodes have great dialogue and the whole show seems more confident. I think prior to this the only other season I saw all the way though was 6 - which had lots of Spike but also proved you can have to much of a good thing. Was far too grim in tone after the first 6 episodes.

Don't forget there are a few crossover episodes with Angel and Buffy, might be worth watching those together in the same way they were originally aired. Nothing major, but a few nice in-jokes and some links back to each other.

EDIT: Already mentioned, sorry! I'll never get the hang of this posting straight away, then reading the rest of the thread lark. That's twice this week I've been caught out :(

The Buffy one is lame, but IMO that's because season seven was the natural end for her as the whole premise of her show was growing up. The Angel ones are alright, but also got totally carried away with themselves.

The Angel ones have some of the worst artwork known to man.

The Angel ones have some of the worst artwork known to man.

The license passed to Dark Horse eventually (Angel and Faith again) and both art and story improved immensely. Still nothing Earth-shattering though.

As for the budget constraints thing, season 9 did start to bring things back down to Earth again but soon got a bit silly anyway. It was just sillyness on a smaller scale.

I've been watching Buffy recently too, mostly as I didn't really watch it regularly back in the day. Mostly as my Step Mum believed we watched too much TV (by "we" I mean my family) and access to the TV was strictly controlled until I got my own, aged 15, by then I was well behind on Buffy.

I'm currently on Season 4 which is around where I would have been if I'd have started watching it properly once I got said TV and yeah I'm finding it a bit of a slog now. It started off well, with Buffy feeling out of place at college but its mostly sidetracked that now that The Initiative is the main drive of the story. I did wonder though, the cell that Spike is in when he's captured, that block bares a slight resemblence to the facility in Cabin in the Woods. It could just be a typical TV "non-descript military facility" style set in both, but as Joss Whedon ws involved in both I thought it was some kind of nod to Buffy

Passion from season 2 is an episode I've already watched again, it's fucking excellent.

When it was originally airing I was watching it just because it was on at a convenient 'home from work' time, and I kinda liked it, but after I saw Passion I had a real Holy shit - this is the best thing on TV moment. One that pretty much lasted for another couple of years

If the first episode of S5 is anything to go by, then it's gonna rock! That was hilarious! 'Blondie bear?' :lol:

That's just the start. While it has some foreboding and doom and gloom, it resets the characters enough so that they actually seem like heroes again, and not a broody bunch of dickheads. You have some utterly jaw-dropping shit ahead of you.

So was out tonight with randoms, I asked the question which man would you like to walk in now, two girls said James Marsters... I said do you mean Spike like the actual character? They did. Sexy beast

Amazing. Shame he's just too damn old for the role now. You could see in S5 of Angel that the years were catching up.

That's just the start. While it has some foreboding and doom and gloom, it resets the characters enough so that they actually seem like heroes again, and not a broody bunch of dickheads. You have some utterly jaw-dropping shit ahead of you.

Amazing. Shame he's just too damn old for the role now. You could see in S5 of Angel that the years were catching up.

I know right? it seemed they liked him as even though he was a cock to everyone he was nice to Buffy.I asked what about the rape thing, they didn't have an answer to that!

I would agree with that. I'm also a fan of Season 6 (even though it probably did hammer the characters a bit tooo much - got a bit tedious), in a show all about allegory Spike is the abusive boyfriend / domestic violence figure. Among other things, obviously there was more going on there and he was quite likable for an evil shit. They did it before with Angel and to an extent Ted, now I think about it, but I suppose with Spike they point was she effectively let herself become a victim until she turned it around.

Back when Buffy was still airing (ten years ago! TEN!!), there was an incredibly active level of discussion on newsgroups and forums. One of the biggest arguments that raged for years was "Spike Redemptionists" versus "Spike Haters". Whether Spike was capable of loving Buffy and being a decent man was the subject of millions of words of fan debate.

(I'm getting deja-vu... have I typed this before?)

(Woah, I'm getting deja-vu about typing, "I'm getting deja-vu... have I typed this before?" Have I typed this twice before?)

Back when Buffy was still airing (ten years ago! TEN!!), there was an incredibly active level of discussion on newsgroups and forums.

alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, represent. One of the first TV shows where I was getting a pseudo director's commentary via Internet back channels. That's really common now, of course.