rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

The Last Guardian

Video of me playing around halfway through. Trico being an absolute jerk of the highest order.

Spoiler

• Upvote 4

The button prompts have mostly stopped for me as I've got deep into the game, they just creep in when there is a tricky 'puzzle' that requires a specific command. Sort of a 'You might want to use this command to solve this puzzle! wink wink!' thing.

took me three goes on that section in your vid @Capwn:)

a lot of the time the prompts are pointless though ; ''hang' comes up, no thanks I'll keep walk - shuffling along the ledge. I'd almost tuned them out by the end.

I'm sure everyone will know this and I'm the last to figure it out but

Spoiler

You can direct Trico while on his head using a combination of the l2 and the face buttons? I have the boy pointing forward with this and Trico immediately moves in that direction.

Or am I imagining it?

I've gone straight into a second play through! I'm gonna try to get all the barrels without using a guide. There's a sneaky one in the first water room you come to that I completely missed. 

People who also got a download code for the soundtrack: I've activated the code on PSN and have apparently "purchased" the soundtrack, but is it possible to download it as an MP3 now, or am I only ever allowed to listen to it through playstation music, or whatever?

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Hide contents

You can direct Trico while on his head using a combination of the l2 and the face buttons? I have the boy pointing forward with this and Trico immediately moves in that direction.

Or am I imagining it?

I just do that out of instinct ,perhaps that's why I'm having more success with it than some people.

I find Trico to be not a problem in terms of his behaviour. It's a team game where you look for a solution and so does Trico . On many occasions Trico has figured it out before I have.

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Reveal hidden contents

Or am I imagining it?

The game tells you this partway through, you didn't see it?

• Upvote 1

I finished this earlier. Any frustrations that I felt throughout the journey completely melted away towards the end, It's magic.

Also: Totally not a spoiler because it's clearly listed in the instruction manual, but just in case...

Spoiler

Trico R1 + face button controls are clearly defined in the manual but not at all in game.

Actual big endgame spoiler:

Spoiler

Possibly the most perfect ending to a videogame I have ever experienced.

• Upvote 4

Oh do you get something new if you get all the barrels? I figured they were like collectibles but did a quick hunt online and couldn't see any mention of them being that important, just that they healed Trico. I've been exploring thoughourly but skipped some at the start so considered restarting because I didn't want to miss anything, now I wish I had restarted! I don't think its a game I really want to play again, its too linear for that. 

16 minutes ago, iloverage said:

I finished this earlier. Any frustrations that I felt throughout the journey completely melted away towards the end, It's magic.

Also: Totally not a spoiler because it's clearly listed in the instruction manual, but just in case...

Hide contents

Trico R1 + face button controls are clearly defined in the manual but not at all in game.

Actual big endgame spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Possibly the most perfect ending to a videogame I have ever experienced.

I didn't get an instruction manual with my copy. 

Ah thank you I get it now. There is a point in the game where It says something in the game but I didn't realise it was like that. So effectively hold R1 and jump to make Trico jump.

Just now, clumpyjamie said:

I didn't get an instruction manual with my copy. 

The digital instruction manual accessed through the dashboard game menu.

28 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Oh do you get something new if you get all the barrels? I figured they were like collectibles but did a quick hunt online and couldn't see any mention of them being that important, just that they healed Trico. I've been exploring thoughourly but skipped some at the start so considered restarting because I didn't want to miss anything, now I wish I had restarted! I don't think its a game I really want to play again, its too linear for that. 

Barrels do unlock things, but you have to wait until NG+ to see what.  Personally, I enjoyed searching for them in the first place. Follow the blue butterflies! 

• Upvote 1

And done . What a wonderful game . Not really giving anything away but

whilst I guess there is some room for discussion I think the ending ties up pretty much all unanswered questions I had throughout the game .

Finished it also tonight. Mega spoilers ahead.

There was really something special and boundary pushing with the relationship that I was hoping they would do a King Kong but use the medium to make it even more intense. You know how in SOTC you have to 'let go' at the end or in MGS4 you have the 'mircowave' section. Either have the creature sacrifice itself for you or for your character to die and have a moment of controlling Trico, taking the boy back to a safe place and burying him. Or have some creative and interactive way of saying goodbye to each other. Argh so many possibilities really but a least they did have 'moments' that hinted to these kind of ideas. Really focusing on Tricos scars and this slow long death, could have been the KingKong of videogames. Had a weird discussion with my partner afterwards, she seemed super happy that it didn't go that way and thought it would be immoral to have a game that builds this friendship and then to kill off a good character or something. That often happens in cinema doesn't it? but for some reason nobody ever attempts it in games. Shame because as I say, the medium has the ability to make it so more intense but first you have to believe and care about a character which is rare in games. This is why I felt disappointed, they had the perfect setup to go in that direction. I worry this opportunity will never come again.  I also think the post credits was a bit cheap too, was the same with SOTC and wanted them to rectify that here. You could control the boy as an elder, perhaps he has a dog who you stroke and give orders just like Trico or something. You know, some kind of connection through the mechanics rather than just a cut scene.

10 hours ago, Capwn said:

Finished it also tonight. Mega spoilers ahead.

Hide contents

There was really something special and boundary pushing with the relationship that I was hoping they would do a King Kong but use the medium to make it even more intense. You know how in SOTC you have to 'let go' at the end or in MGS4 you have the 'mircowave' section. Either have the creature sacrifice itself for you or for your character to die and have a moment of controlling Trico, taking the boy back to a safe place and burying him. Or have some creative and interactive way of saying goodbye to each other. Argh so many possibilities really but a least they did have 'moments' that hinted to these kind of ideas. Really focusing on Tricos scars and this slow long death, could have been the KingKong of videogames. Had a weird discussion with my partner afterwards, she seemed super happy that it didn't go that way and thought it would be immoral to have a game that builds this friendship and then to kill off a good character or something. That often happens in cinema doesn't it? but for some reason nobody ever attempts it in games. Shame because as I say, the medium has the ability to make it so more intense but first you have to believe and care about a character which is rare in games. This is why I felt disappointed, they had the perfect setup to go in that direction. I worry this opportunity will never come again.  I also think the post credits was a bit cheap too, was the same with SOTC and wanted them to rectify that here. You could control the boy as an elder, perhaps he has a dog who you stroke and give orders just like Trico or something. You know, some kind of connection through the mechanics rather than just a cut scene.

***BIG ENDING SPOILERS***

Killing the beast would have been the most boring and predictable way to finish it - from the moment it was announced that's what everyone assumed they'd do. I'm thoroughly glad they chose the ending they did. In a grim old year I'm glad this finished on an optimistic note. It's hardly as if it was manipulative or mawkish - the beast was badly wounded, distrusted by the villagers and eventually separated from the boy.

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

***BIG ENDING SPOILERS***

Hide contents

Killing the beast would have been the most boring and predictable way to finish it - from the moment it was announced that's what everyone assumed they'd do. I'm thoroughly glad they chose the ending they did. In a grim old year I'm glad this finished on an optimistic note. It's hardly as if it was manipulative or mawkish - the beast was badly wounded, distrusted by the villagers and eventually separated from the boy.

I concur

It is a surprise that the game did not end in total tragedy , and instead, was bittersweet

• Upvote 1

More major ending spoilers:

It was almost more heartbreaking to have to send Trico away after everything than to simply have him die. The after-credits bit was wonderful though, and ambiguous enough to not simply be a "surprise! Trico was happy ever after" turnaround. The Boy/Man suggests Trico probably didn't have long to live after the rescue, and all we see after the credits is two sets of eyes. We know that at least some of the beasts survived, so whether or not Trico is among them it's still hopeful. It's certainly the happiest ending to a Team Ico game, and left me feeling pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Further ending spoilers.

At no point from the game's very first unveiling to the credits rolling did I expect Trico to survive. I'm glad Ueda is less predictable than I and many others gave him credit for.

It could be argued that Trico didn't survive. We see a pair of eyes with another set which we assume to be a baby Trico, but then why isn't the other Trico that is shown to have survived there too? Which one of the two had the better chance of survival?

But then the location and the massive spoiler that is the name of the trophy for finishing the game would suggest more strongly that it is our Trico.

Ultimately, the epilogue as a whole with that music is one of the great emotional moments in gaming.

After a few days percolating, I've come to consider the framing of this, as someone recounting an adventure, is a large part of its success with me. The sparse but evocative dialogue and voice work and even the font of the subtitles really made it feel like classic Japanese cinema.

BIG ENDING SPOILERS:

I believe the line "I doubt he has long to live" is the only dialogue not written in italics so it's likely being spoken by someone in the group, huddled around the injured Boy, rather than as part of his own recollection. This leads to some of the only ambiguity from the ending as to whether the Man knows Trico is still alive or not.

I think he does.

• Upvote 1

I agree with all the agreement.

Spoiler

I loved the ending! Wasn't expecting it either. 

Any theories as to the title? Why the last guardian? Who's the guardian, and of what? 

Regarding the title:

I think the "Last Guardian" could be either of three things; the Boy, Trico or maybe the "Master of the Valley" you destroy at the end. The Boy seemed to end up in charge of the village (maybe the last person to be?), and also was the last protector of Trico. Trico protected the Boy, obviously, and the Master was the guardian of the valley. All of them were the last guardian of something.

I'm more interested in what was actually going on in the valley. Obviously the Master was in control of the beasts, who kidnap children and protect it. The kidnapped children seem to be turned into whatever's in the barrels, which is maybe the same substance Trico was so obsessed with in those urns. I'm guessing it was involved in animating the armour suits too, in a similar way to Ico's shadows. The question is, why?

• Upvote 1

Something I missed during the ending (and others too) is that...

(super spoilers obs)

Spoiler

The very last scene where you see Trico if you look to the left of it you see another pair of dimmer eyes appear too. Suggesting he has had a kid or a friend. Can't wait to tell my girlfriend, even in bed she was saying the she was sad (because of the game, not me!). That's why I was a bit confused people saying the ending was uplifting? Trico gets beat up and the boy has no choice to send him away. Then at the end you see him alone in a cave :( but now I know about the second pair of eyes that is at least something I guess.

Not sure anyone missed that. ;)

Again though, I don't think there's anything that shows either is Trico specifically, although one of them could be. All we know is some of the beasts survived.