IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Wow, I guess you guys feel differently about the game than I do. Again, I am not saying that RDR is ugly by any stretch of the imagination (its odd how any point you try to make on the internet gets interpreted that you are strongly for or strongly against something)

So you're saying it's the ugliest game ever created and we're all pigfucking shitbags with dicks for eyes?

Thanks Nayson. Thanks a LOT.

If the PS3 version is easier to find in shops or you want to take it online to see what the fuss is about then just get it. I'm certainly not annoyed I bought it on Playstation.

Cheers :eyebrows:

Now, where do I get a copy 8.30 on a Friday night in West London?

Wow, I guess you guys feel differently about the game than I do. Again, I am not saying that RDR is ugly by any stretch of the imagination (its odd how any point you try to make on the internet gets interpreted that you are strongly for or strongly against something) but I dont feel that you buy a sandbox game like RDR to be blown away by the graphics. RDR is a fine looking game but I havent had a jaw dropping moment in it yet. Maybe it is because I have the "ugly" version on PS3 or maybe its because I got the fix some people are getting when the look across the world in RDR when I played Fallout 3 on PC with everything set to maximum. Either way we are moving further and further away from my original comment to the guy who was wondering if he would regret buying the PS3 version over the 360 one. I dont think he will.

I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and I'm probably the most well known PC graphics elitist around these here parts!

Meh, the duels make no sense. It doesn't matter how many times I read descriptions of how they're sposed to work, half the time people still pull their gun and kill you before you've even had the chance to press anything. I just don't get it.

RDR is a fine looking game but I havent had a jaw dropping moment in it yet. Maybe it is because I have the "ugly" version on PS3 or maybe its because I got the fix some people are getting when the look across the world in RDR when I played Fallout 3 on PC with everything set to maximum.

I hadn't even heard this game was comng out until last Thursday, and I decided to take a look because I was blown away by the screenshots Vemsie posted:

ssl254241.jpg

ssl254261.jpg

ssl254191.jpg

ssl254281.jpg

Gorgeous.

I've put more than 100 hours into Fallout 3 on the 360, and it's a great looking game. It has some fabulous views. I've not played it on PC with "everything" set to maximum, but I doubt it would look as stunning as the above shots. Probably because "everything" doesn't include extra artistry and atmosphere, and it wouldn't improve the awful human character models. So yeah, I reckon I did buy this particular sandbox game because of how it looks. And those shots don't even include any of the amazing sunrises or sunsets. If they don't drop your jaw then what the hell does?

Please don't say Fallout 3, because as great as that game's exteriors are, most of the time you're actually playing it, it looks like this:

windowslivewriterfallout3pcreview-11002fallout3-2008-11-18-21-16-58-62-2.jpg

Which is you know, fine. But RDR is finer. :eyebrows:

Meh, the duels make no sense. It doesn't matter how many times I read descriptions of how they're sposed to work, half the time people still pull their gun and kill you before you've even had the chance to press anything. I just don't get it.

I don't get how you don't get it. Fill the blue bar up before they fill the red bar up. The closer to white each target you place is, the more you fill your bar up.

Fallout 3 on max is pretty stunning. I played it on max everything :eyebrows:

Even maximum sunsets and thunderstorms? ;)

I don't get how you don't get it. Fill the blue bar up before they fill the red bar up. The closer to white each target you place is, the more you fill your bar up.

Even maximum sunsets and thunderstorms? :eyebrows:

That's exactly what I'm doing, and it's fucked. I'm dropping white arrows on his head, bang on, every time. Why on earth do they change the duelling mechanic half way through the game, without ever explaining either mechanic properly?

Did you take your time over it? Was his red bar filling up quicker than your blue bar?

No, not even half as quickly, and then magically it was higher than mine. Four times now.

That's exactly what I'm doing, and it's fucked. I'm dropping white arrows on his head, bang on, every time. Why on earth do they change the duelling mechanic half way through the game, without ever explaining either mechanic properly?

I dunno, perhaps I should wait until I'm as far in as you, as it sounds like it's not the same as it is for me.

That was fucking weird, on the fifth time my reticule went white, then stayed white after the first shot and never went back to red. Once I realised I hammered shoot about 20 times on his chest and won. Eh?

They don't change the duelling mechanic. It's just that it's so poorly explained early on that people can coast through early duels not really knowing what they're doing up until they start meeting tough opponents where being very accurate actually means something because the tough opponents can actually shoot.

And of course, never rule out that your game just bugged up.

There are parts of the landscape in mexico where you just have to stop and stare and not want to move. As if you were actually there.

I just got a weird bug. Claimed a bounty, cashed it in then went wondering around town (Chuparosa). Stuck up a bank, but got killed and then respawned down at irish's shack. The bounty mission had restarted, but I still had the $400 from bringing him in alive.

Wow, I guess you guys feel differently about the game than I do. Again, I am not saying that RDR is ugly by any stretch of the imagination (its odd how any point you try to make on the internet gets interpreted that you are strongly for or strongly against something) but I dont feel that you buy a sandbox game like RDR to be blown away by the graphics. RDR is a fine looking game but I havent had a jaw dropping moment in it yet.

I am sorry but just one look at this fogless draw distance, where things actually exist and don't magically materialize when you approach, with these kind of physics and animation, is a first in the industry.

It certainly is, along with Uncharted 2, the most beautiful game of this generation.

Everyone I've shown this has been blown away. I mean "console-buying" away.

Man did anyone manage to do the second treasure hunt by themselves? I had to look it up on the web as I had no idea where to look.

The 2nd one was pretty easy I thought. It even tells you the location on the map (albeit in slightly faded writing).

In my first duel after the episode with the German I painted five or more shots all over a guy's chest and... got shot and died without firing a single shot myself. I'm still totally boggled by it.

Quite honestly, I'm the reverse. I've been in about 5 or 6 duels now, just picked out the head and hammered away at the R2 button. I've won each time without working out exactly what's going on!

The secret to the cougar challenge is apparently to stay on your horse. Somehow I managed to wrangle it so that they didn't immediately eat my horse, so all I had to do was chase after them and stab them from aboooooove.

Abooooooove.

Here how you duel took me ages to figure this out cause it's not explained well.

Hit the trigger when the marker turns white this will fill your bar up faster, i haven't lost a duel since figuring this out. Pick a spot wait for it to turn white pull trigger rinse repeat, you actually have a lot more time then you think you do and as long as your bar is higher then his when he pulls the trigger you win

When trying to kill things with your hunting knife, remember that you can press X whilst holding down the left trigger to roll. It can be useful for dodging lunges.

Latter challenge spoiler:

I had a bit of hard time taking on a bear with the knife, albeit not for the reasons you might think! My issue was landing the killing blow, because it tried to run away and moves as fast as Marston's sprint. It all went a bit Benny Hill, my hardened outlaw chasing a fleeing bear round and round a small clearing.

I am sorry but just one look at this fogless draw distance, where things actually exist and don't magically materialize when you approach, with these kind of physics and animation, is a first in the industry.

Well, I dunno. Just Cause 2 looks pretty amazing, and has an incredible draw distance too. Although, settlements certainly don't feel as lived in, or part of the landscape in the same way as RDR.

This... is starting to get dull. Three or four missions into Mexico and I'm getting bored of going somewhere, shooting some guys, then 'escaping', taking out a couple of waves of guys, then the mission ending. The cars in GTA4 were a joy to drive. Horses by nature are a lot less interesting to control.

It's an incredible game in so many ways, but if they don't increase the variety in these missions somewhat I might not even bother finishing this. It doesn't help that it's all so easy it almost plays itself. Expert aiming still has a lot of assistance.

All I know is this game makes me want to invest in a capture device. Some of the sunrises and sunsets in Mexico are beautiful. And just when I thought the game had revealed all of it's ambient distractions,

I suddenly have to race down stagecoaches being attacked by bandits.

OK how the flying fuck do you do a duel where you shoot the gun out of someone's hand with one bullet? I am trying to do a certain side mission and I believe it requires me to do this. I draw my gun out, put a white cross hair on the guys arm, my meter is higher than his but NOTHING time runs out, my guy doesn't fire, I get shot. How the flipping hell do you fire before time runs out? Not a single fucking thing I found on the net seems to explain it properly.