IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Sure! I guess I just find that this plays itself a little bit too much. I like to be challenged. I generally like pretty intense games, so that could be the problem. I think it's a wonderful game, I'm actually a little upset that I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. Looking forward to getting my hands on some dynamite and blowing some cows up, though.

The GTA cars were great, but I'm more attached to my golden horse buddy than an SUV. We've been on so many adventures and he can also teleport! Cars were just tools to get somewhere.

Maybe controlling a horse does feel too 'easy' though, and you should fall off or trip your horse sometimes.

How can you disagree with fact and me stating what my opinion is? The missions started varied but now are all pretty much identical. I'm saying that I hope it changes.

Also -

Riding a horse - press A every other second. Every horse is the same other than speed. Infinite grip.

Driving a car - take into consideration traffic, brake at the right time, control the weight of the car. Inertia. Weather. Every car is different. Incredibly rewarding when you get good. I wasn't the biggest fan of GTAIV, but the car handling was wonderful. Pulling off a weave through traffic followed by a perfect corner was brilliant and took a lot of skill.

I finished Red Dead and went straight on to Gay Tony which I hadn't played before. I know exactly what you mean. Taking a ride out to a mission in GTA is a world apart from holding down A while occasionally correcting your horse's path in Red Dead.

For what it's worth, I was finding this very dull from Mexico onwards. I was just trudging through and skipping cutscenes all over the place, Landon Rickett's missions were the last ones I really enjoyed.

Riding a horse - press A every other second.

Not quite. Tap A for a speed burst, sure, but you only need to hold it to maintain a constant speed. Holding A when following someone will also match your speed to theirs.

And there's also the not insignificant fact that shooting from horseback is intensely satisfying and fun, as is lassoing from horseback. I absolutely love galloping after some escaping ne'er do well, slowing my speed to a canter with RB as I catch up with them, lassoing them, dragging them along for a bit, before finally hog-tieing and putting them on the horse for some rough justice.

I don't think you could do any of that in a boring old car. :)

There's also the stagecoaches and wagons to ride, and donkeys as well I believe. Or you can take the train. Or ride along next to the train and leap from your horse onto it.

Tom, your horse will throw you off if you push him too hard.

It's the same gangs at the same locations yeah, but there are 20 separate places on the whole map where the bounties will be hiding out. Each of those will add 0.1% to your completion stat.

Here's the full list of everything you need to do, including bounty locations. No spoilers on that page (other than very minor stuff like names of weapons you can get, etc), but lots of spoilers elsewhere on the site so be careful with clicking links.

Thanks.

There's never any skill to it though. And surely rythmically tapping A every other second is faster than holding A down? It always seemed that way to me. If you're right that's even less to do.

Gunplay is absolutely better on horse though, yes. As is gunplay in general. I hated how enemies in GTAIV felt like bullet sponges. In this the guns feel totally brutal. The expense is any kind of challenge, however.

I also find Mexico a bit of a lull, maybe because the story takes a bit of a dip here due to less likeable characters... but then I have been playing this on a daily basis for a week now. I think I'll head back over to the US tonight and do some bountyhunting for a change of pace. But I must say I was more taken with West Dickens and his gang of misfits than these Mexican fellows.

I agree with a lot of what Timmo is saying, But i don't think it's a backlash. I just prefer cars/bikes to horses

I think most of the mechanics of this game are an improvement on GTAIV.

I speaking in general, not just about what people are saying here.

Cars? Meh. I guess I'm not a petrol head, but I'd rather ride a horse than drive a car.

I'm a petrol head, but I rate horses higher! :)

Or ride along next to the train and leap from your horse onto it.

Or leap from a train onto your horse!

Yes, it's possible!

And for those who think the missions are getting a bit dull and samey after a while: Yes, they do. But it picks up very quickly again, SO KEEP PLAYING IT because it's soooooo worth it if you do. Don't give up now!

You will thank me for this later. Trust Me(erman).

I think I'm just burnt out on the whole GTA formula to be honest.

Walk into cross/coloured circle, ride/drive to location, have shootout with sticky cover mechanics, drive/ride home or escape.

They've dressed it up a fair bit with RDR but the deja vu still crept in very quickly for me. I think they really missed a trick with the exploration in this game. There's just no point to it. I've ridden off several times looking for something interesting and there's never anything good. Like GTA4 it's only worth randomly exploring for the sight seeing but whereas GTA4 could offer miles of diverse locations and buildings this is just hours of sand and cacti. And then you get to a settlement and wander around for 5 minutes before realising you can't do anything there but you'll probably have a shootout there in a couple of hours when Rockstar say you can.

The nuts and bolts are very obviously an improvement but I feel like I've been playing this formula for years. It feels kinda old to me now.

I love this game. Its the first time in a longtime that I actually FEEL I am the character I am playing. I don't know if its down to the animation or voice acting or both, but it works so well. I was mortified when my first horse died when I jumped off of a hill :)

I think I'm just burnt out on the whole GTA formula to be honest.

Walk into cross/coloured circle, ride/drive to location, have shootout with sticky cover mechanics, drive/ride home or escape.

You could break down literally any game into its constituent parts like that, and make it sound tired. I will concede though that I don't play many games like this, so perhaps I haven't had the same opportunity as you to see behind the mirror.

Anyway, weapons and item related question - I've done the first few missions in Mexico now

just done the train mission where you have to board it and stop it

. Should I have

The sniper rifle, dynamite, or binoculars

?

I wouldn't normally ask but I would really like to use that last item in particular while I'm still only 45% through, rather than getting it at the last minute.

This is it, it's exactly why I gave up on Demon's Souls. I appreciate it's an ace game but have zero tolerance for the punishing nature of it. Totally my fault for being shit but too much effort to get good. I'll take easy/moderately challenging and entertaining over bastard hard any day of the week

Anyway, weapons and item related question - I've done the first few missions in Mexico now

. Should I have

?

I didn't have any of them at that moment, the

sniper rifle

appears a few missions down the road, not sure about the other ones.

This is it, it's exactly why I gave up on Demon's Souls. I appreciate it's an ace game but have zero tolerance for the punishing nature of it. Totally my fault for being shit but too much effort to get good. I'll take easy/moderately challenging and entertaining over bastard hard any day of the week

Same here. It's one of those 'oldcore' things, I suppose. I just don't have the time or patience anymore to plough through the same bit of game over and over and over again. My gaming time is limited, and I want to have fun and be entertained rather than fighting frustrating and unfair difficulty spikes. Although there are exceptions, I completed Prototype twice while it was notorious for having some really nasty bosses in it.

But generally I like games to be a bit more easygoing, unless a game is build around that principle, I love TrialsHD for example. Red Dead Redemption is a bit on the easy side, it could have been a bit tougher but rather this than the hairtearing GTA experience.

Like GTA4 it's only worth randomly exploring for the sight seeing but whereas GTA4 could offer miles of diverse locations and buildings this is just hours of sand and cacti.

That's not quite fair. It's sand, cacti, and blue dots which appear and require you to shoot two to three people for a $5 to $20 reward.

Also, and sorry to harp on, but this is not a fair representation of the average mission/gameplay session in RDR.

It's more like

Walk into cross, have interesting conversation/well acted cut scene, protect train from bandits in exciting hi-speed shoot out, then chase after said train again when it gets captured by bandits, jump on train, stop it plummeting down ravine. Then ride back, hunting and a shootin' en route. Arrive back where you started, then break up a fight between a prossie and her pimp, opening up a quest. Decide to ride off into the night, spot a man building a glider, get given another quest. Finally ride home, but only after playing a bit of poker

Sure there are missions that are broadly as you describe, but they aren't the only type, and there is a massive variety of things to do in between.

In short, boo Majora! Boo!

Guys, I've gotta say, Blackwater and Tall Trees are really taking the shine off this for me now. Bad framerates and an annoying professor that looks like a ginger harry potter. :)

Also, I was expecting a far more 'cinematic' farewell to

Bill Williamson

edit: ANOTHER FUCKING GATLING GUN MISSION!! FOR FUCK'S SAKE R*

I'm now crossing this off my GOTY list. Perhaps this great ending people keep talking about will make me think twice. But right now I'm just pissed off with the game.

And ... I'm feeling the love again now that

Van Der Linde

is dead.

I've had no bad framerates in New Elizabeth at all. And Tall Trees is just bloody spooky, not just because the ambient music is generally eerie, but also because it's the most dangerous place to be in the whole game with wolves, cougars and bears attacking you with very little warning due to all the trees blocking your vision. Picking flowers or skinning animals there I find very nerve wracking.....it's the place where I've lost the most horses.

And as for the Prairies, where the buffalo roam, there's just so much wildlife there and you can see for miles. It's certainly been my favourite place for hunting.

Something that hasn't been mentioned much amongst all the nit picking over gaming mechanics are the characters you meet. They are all so bloody well done; the actors voicing them is done so well as to make their avatars feel human and I can imagine these charactors could have been real back then. HOWEVER, there are two characters that don't meet the level of the others; you mentioned one,

the professor is just over the top and bloody annoying

and the

Indian you meet at the same time has the worst voice acting in the whole game

. But, as you know, you then meet the excellent

Van Der Linde

. What a character, and definitely one of my favourites.

For me the natural environments are a much bigger pull than the cities of GTA. I jus love galloping accros the plains while the sun is shining. It's much more than cacti and sand. There are little towns and settlements, lots of natural diversity, wildlife, the occasional NPC and random events... To me it's like a far more detailed and realistic version of the overworld in the Zelda series.

. Should I have

?

You mean that you should have it by now? No I don't think so, but you're getting closer. In order, I think it's the

sniper rifle

you'll get first, before the

binoculars

and lastly the

dynamite

But then, as you know, you finally meet the excellent

Van Der Linde

. What a character!

I'm not so taken with him. For a start, I just had to Google his name to find out who he was.

Like Williamson, as far as the plot goes he's just a guy who shows up every now and then to throw some insults at John during cutscenes and then disappears when the mission actually starts. Still, better than the mexican guy who just showed up in one mission with no build up and got shot/lasso'd.

I was kinda surprised to find that almost every character from Mexico onwards is pretty dislikeable. Even before that, the good guys are happy to give John a tongue lashing at times. No doubt it's deliberate, but it grates a little having to keep doing missions for these guys the whole time.

I even include John's family in that, though at least they flesh out his character a little bit.

I will give them props for the voice acting, it's great virtually across the board. If it weren't for those performances I doubt the story would have much credibility.

How do the stranger missions work when you've finished the game and running around the world ? Do they just appear randonly etc ? I'm pretty certain I've never met the guy with the flying contraption etc.