IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

I'll be paying that madman with his flying contraption a visit in Mexico.

It took me ages finding some beavers! Finally found some across the rainroad bridge northeast of McFarlane's ranch.

You could break down literally any game into its constituent parts like that, and make it sound tired. I will concede though that I don't play many games like this, so perhaps I haven't had the same opportunity as you to see behind the mirror.

Anyway, weapons and item related question - I've done the first few missions in Mexico now

just done the train mission where you have to board it and stop it

. Should I have

The sniper rifle, dynamite, or binoculars

?

I wouldn't normally ask but I would really like to use that last item in particular while I'm still only 45% through, rather than getting it at the last minute.

You don't get the

binoculars until you have done a few missions in Blackwater

Is anybody abusing the auto aim as much as I am? I just cleared out one of those criminal hideout basins hardly missing a shot. Scope in and fire with every single shot and stuff just dies. I am using a Winchester Repeater at the moment. I might get bored with blowing peoples brains out so easily after a while, but for now its oddly empowering. Cant wait to unlock a super powerful rifle.

For me the natural environments are a much bigger pull than the cities of GTA. I jus love galloping accros the plains while the sun is shining. It's much more than cacti and sand. There are little towns and settlements, lots of natural diversity, wildlife, the occasional NPC and random events... To me it's like a far more detailed and realistic version of the overworld in the Zelda series.

Absolutely. I figured you felt that way about the environment from the excellent sight-seeing shots you took. Incidentally, what is your set up? You seem to have excellent PQ.

I dunno, perhaps I'm just an easy target for this sort of thing. I argued very strongly in favour of the empty overworld in SotC, as I just enjoyed wandering about in it, and this is even more amazing for that sort of thing. Just trotting your horse up to a clifftop and looking at the vista. Breathtaking.

In fact, I'd love this game even if it were just the landscape plus a never ending supply of increasingly cryptic treasure maps.

I'm not so taken with him. For a start, I just had to Google his name to find out who he was.

Like Williamson, as far as the plot goes he's just a guy who shows up every now and then to throw some insults at John during cutscenes and then disappears when the mission actually starts. Still, better than the mexican guy who just showed up in one mission with no build up and got shot/lasso'd.

I was kinda surprised to find that almost every character from Mexico onwards is pretty dislikeable. Even before that, the good guys are happy to give John a tongue lashing at times. No doubt it's deliberate, but it grates a little having to keep doing missions for these guys the whole time.

I even include John's family in that, though at least they flesh out his character a little bit.

I will give them props for the voice acting, it's great virtually across the board. If it weren't for those performances I doubt the story would have much credibility.

But Van Der Linde is mentioned so much throughout the course of the game, he's THE main character who has affected John Marton's life, his father figure, who made him into who he is. You spend half the game thinking he's long dead but then it's rumoured he's alive, and then you finally get to meet him in the flesh.

It was a great coming together I thought.

Is anybody abusing the auto aim as much as I am? I just cleared out one of those criminal hideout basins hardly missing a shot. Scope in and fire with every single shot and stuff just dies. I am using a Winchester Repeater at the moment. I might get bored with blowing peoples brains out so easily after a while, but for now its oddly empowering. Cant wait to unlock a super powerful rifle.

I've not even tried the auto aim. I put in on expert before I started, having read the advice on here.

But it's still massively empowering, I agree. I hate to say it, but my favourite thing to do at the moment is to headshot a speeding horse, as it often sends the rider flying. Looks especially good in slo-mo too.

As for sending people flying

shooting the dynamite dudes off the cliff during the raft section was pure :)

I think some people are skipping the conversational bits that are happening while you ride shotgun in certain missions.

Yeah that's the vibe I'm getting, it's where all the characters get fleshed out even further, including Marston himself. The unlikeable characters even show sides to them that give you a glimpse into the circumstances they were brought up in and why they are like they are. It's not always possible to say, "They're a goodie, and they're a baddie".

It took me ages finding some beavers! Finally found some across the rainroad bridge northeast of McFarlane's ranch.

:)

I'm still heavilly in love with this. I have a funny thing with games like these, I only put them on when I have a good 5-10 hours free time to get stuck into it and soak it up. I stopped playing this last Sunday after a marathon weekend session that saw me reach Mexico. (:lol:) and only started playing again last night.

There's just so much atmosphere and so much to see and do.

Horses vs GTA IV cars - I agree with Timmo on this one. The car handling in GTA IV was tricky but just sublime. I still play GTA Racing each week with other Mukkers.

I do prefer the setting in this game and the gunplay and on foot action is on a different planet.

I'm going to admit something a bit daft here. I can't bring myself to fast-travel anywhere so, sometimes when I have a long journey ahead of me I'll get on a stagecoach and leave it to make the journey for me while I make a coffee and maybe sit there watching the journey, or I'll come check on Rllmuk in the other room.........the sound of clip-clopping echoing across my hallway. Sometimes I'll suddenly hear the sound of gunshots as my stage coach is held up by bandits and I have to run the length of my flat to grab the controller and kill them.

Does this sound daft? It does, doesn't it.

Got to the part where it told me to

shoot a welshman

Switched it off, don't intend to play it ever again.

I kept reloading that bit again, and again, and again.

I've got a special save slot for it.

It's become my favourite mini-game before I go to bed.

Definite GotY.

:)

I'm still heavilly in love with this. I have a funny thing with games like these, I only put them on when I have a good 5-10 hours free time to get stuck into it and soak it up. I stopped playing this last Sunday after a marathon weekend session that saw me reach Mexico. (:lol:) and only started playing again last night.

There's just so much atmosphere and so much to see and do.

I knew someone would tackle me on the beaver remark. Never expected it to be you, Gussy!

I agree with you here, apart from the horses bit. Horses are awesome!

I'm going to admit something a bit daft here. I can't bring myself to fast-travel anywhere so, sometimes when I have a long journey ahead of me I'll get on a stagecoach and leave it to make the journey for me while I make a coffee and maybe sit there watching the journey, or I'll come check on Rllmuk in the other room.........the sound of clip-clopping echoing across my hallway. Sometimes I'll suddenly hear the sound of gunshots as my stage coach is held up by bandits and I have to run the length of my flat to grab the controller and kill them.

Does this sound daft? It does, doesn't it.

You are me and I claim my £5. Apart from the flat thing.

I've not even tried the auto aim. I put in on expert before I started, having read the advice on here.

I didnt really get that advice. If the game gives you an "I win" button with the deadeye anyway then having expert targeting to remove the auto aim doest make the game better or more satisfying (for me at least) I'll stick with MW2 to get my kick there.

I didnt really get that advice. If the game gives you an "I win" button with the deadeye anyway then having expert targeting to remove the auto aim doest make the game better or more satisfying (for me at least) I'll stick with MW2 to get my kick there.

Well I can't really comment as I haven't tried it with auto-aim on. All I know is that it's superbly satisfying on the setting I currently use.

I wouldn't call Dead-Eye an "I win" button though. It requires skill to use and to top up (headshots refill the meter more quickly etc), and if you over-use it and find yourself out of chewing baccy, you're often in trouble.

Well, I often am.

Incidentally, what are everyone's game-time stats? Mine is at 26 hours, 30 minutes and 33 seconds, with 46.8% of the game complete. Man, I had no idea I'd pumped so much time into it!

I've put in on the casual aiming mode last night for the first time

(while doing that turret mission in the armoured car)

, which is essentially auto-aim (every time you press LT, it snaps to an enemy). Normally I can aim pretty well with my right thumb in games like this (I'm a Southpawer, remember?) but that mission was just impossible for me.

Well I can't really comment as I haven't tried it with auto-aim on. All I know is that it's superbly satisfying on the setting I currently use.

I wouldn't call Dead-Eye an "I win" button though. It requires skill to use and to top up (headshots refill the meter more quickly etc), and if you over-use it and find yourself out of chewing baccy, you're often in trouble.

Well, I often am.

Incidentally, what are everyone's game-time stats? Mine is at 26 hours, 30 minutes and 33 seconds, with 46.8% of the game complete. Man, I had no idea I'd pumped so much time into it!

I crossed the 2 day mark yesterday. Still haven't finished the main story and I have loads of sub quests to do as well.

And I'm looking forward to starting the whole thing again but NOT buying that rabbit's foot to get more/save more money, instead I'm going to get money by playing as a baddie and robbing as many people and banks as possible. I'm also going to try and set a record for the biggest bounty on a person's head ever. I'm going to turn towns into ghost towns, and my name will be feared across the land.

Guys, I'm in Mexico, up to rank 6 on treasure hunter, but can't figure out the map for the seventh bit of gold. It's basically three rocks, one at the top, two at the bottom. The rock bottom left has a big dotted circle around the top of it, the rock bottom right is where the treasure is. I thought I'd found a rock that looked like the one on the map, but no joy. I think I'm doing this one wrong. Any pointers?

My playtime is just over 66 hours. Still in Mexico.

Guys, I'm in Mexico, up to rank 6 on treasure hunter, but can't figure out the map for the seventh bit of gold. It's basically three rocks, one at the top, two at the bottom. The rock bottom left has a big dotted circle around the top of it, the rock bottom right is where the treasure is. I thought I'd found a rock that looked like the one on the map, but no joy. I think I'm doing this one wrong. Any pointers?

I spent quite a while looking for that one. So much so that once I found it, the next 3 were a piece of piss as I instantly knew where they were from all that sightseeing. Without telling you eactly where it is, the clue I'll give you is that its

a short distance east of Escalera - look for toes

That's the one I'm on, although I haven't come across any areas that look like that yet. I still have loads of Mexico to explore.

I have discovered a couple of things that might be useful.. Thinking about it, it might tell you that you could do this, however; Tapping the left and right on the D-Pad will change will shoulder the camera looks over. I was getting slightly irritated trying to see round corners before an enemy saw me, and just getting shotgunned in the face. Also I kept having problems with two achievements; Dastardly and Buckin' awesome! For Dastardly

I kept getting some random woman in-front of the station and placing her on the tracks, she would explode and I wouldn't get the achievement. I tried this at least three times before it would actually work... It worked when I went to get a hooker, so if you are having the same problem, try a hooker!

Then for Buckin' Awesome

I knew the different colours of the horses and knew for certain I was breaking the correct horses, however, for some strange reason the achievement was not showing up, so not only did I break the horses I hitched them, which seemed to work very well.

If this wasn't any help then... Oh well! :)

But Van Der Linde is mentioned so much throughout the course of the game, he's THE main character who has affected John Marton's life, his father figure, who made him into who he is. You spend half the game thinking he's long dead but then it's rumoured he's alive, and then you finally get to meet him in the flesh.

It was a great coming together I thought.

I heard him mentioned a couple of times early on, I don't remember if he was named. What I do remember is that you are directed early on to capture or kill three dudes, so I don't think he was meant to be dead unless I skipped something. I skipped a lot of cutscenes that didn't seem very interesting to be fair, so I got the gist but I might have missed some details.

However I did hear plenty that the old gang left him for dead and their leader went crazy, so I didn't really get John's reluctance to kill him. Considering the character is handled almost the same way as Williamson in terms of the gameplay, it felt like a bare-faced mechanic to draw things out. Just as it did when that fool was in another castle.

I'm not going to ding it marks for the story though as that's never what I was interested in. I certainly enjoyed the change of pace towards the end and there's no doubt the finale will go down as one of the great videogame endings.

I spent quite a while looking for that one. So much so that once I found it, the next 3 were a piece of piss as I instantly knew where they were from all that sightseeing. Without telling you eactly where it is, the clue I'll give you is that its

a short distance east of Escalera - look for toes

Thanks for that! Found it. :)

I skipped a lot of cutscenes that didn't seem very interesting to be fair, so I got the gist but I might have missed some details.

You must have skipped loads if you thought

Escualera

was 'some random Mexican guy'.

He's mentioned in literally every mission in Mexico

That ending, though... :lol::facepalm: