Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

You must have skipped loads if you thought

Escualera

was 'some random Mexican guy'.

He's mentioned in literally every mission in Mexico

I didn't know who he was other than one of the guys you have to get for the plot to progress. I certainly did skip a fair amount the cutscenes in Mexico, but when he was brought up it was always "You do this one thing for us and then we give you this guy". Since that happens about twenty times, I suppose you could say he was brought up in every mission!

For the other two you got a little hint of some of the bad things they did. I don't remember hearing about Escuela's escapades at any point. You see him in his cell, John once again decides he doesn't want to shoot this guy (fool never learns apparently), he says they were brothers until the gang left him for dead, then Escuela makes his escape. Maybe there's a longer exchange if you capture him, I just shot him. He doesn't even get a cinematic death. Even the Red Dead Wikia describes this guy as a minor character.

Those two idiots from the government show up and lambasted me for not taking him alive, to show that this is a living breathing world where your actions have consequences. They made no such song and dance about Williamson and Dutch though, clever boys that they are. One of them even complains that you didn't shoot Dutch.

I see the Grand Theft Auto iced cream van thing is in this game too. You know what I mean, in GTA when you decide to do the car collecting missions and when you come to collect a certain type of vehicle it goes from being absolutely everywhere to being rarer than rocking horse shit. I couldnt turn a corner without being attacked by coyotes earlier. Now I need to kill them for one of the challenges they have all gone on holiday. Even if I look on the map (the in game one and the paper one) and head to the areas where coyotes are supposed to be, the fuckers arent there.

I see the Grand Theft Auto iced cream van thing is in this game too. You know what I mean, in GTA when you decide to do the car collecting missions and when you come to collect a certain type of vehicle it goes from being absolutely everywhere to being rarer than rocking horse shit. I couldnt turn a corner without being attacked by coyotes earlier. Now I need to kill them for one of the challenges they have all gone on holiday. Even if I look on the map (the in game one and the paper one) and head to the areas where coyotes are supposed to be, the fuckers arent there.

Buy some bait from a shop, head to where they are on the map and use it.

Tried that. Some wolves turned up!

Have a look on the paper map that comes with the game. I've found it a lot more detailed (and accurate) than the in-game map for finding specific animals.

I completed all the main missions in Mexico yesterday, but instead of heading to Blackwater I find myself exploring Mexico at my own leisurely pace, hunting for tresoro, herbs, and bounties. I think I'll head up north sometime next week, I am no rush at all. One of the best games ever for losing yourself in an incredibly immersive world. :lol:

My stats say for 'total time played' 3 days, 3hours, 44 min and 56 seconds - that can't be right surely :facepalm:

My stats say for 'total time played' 3 days, 3hours, 44 min and 56 seconds - that can't be right surely :facepalm:

Well, either you've left the 360 running when you haven't been on it or you really really really like this game.

Well, either you've left the 360 running when you haven't been on it or you really really really like this game.

I only leave it running for a quick check on rllmuk, and only for longer during a long train ride or stagecoach ride without dialogue as I refuse to skip to destination. I do really really really like this game though, it's just that if anything I felt like I wasn't getting enough RDR time in due to that damned real life getting in the way!

I completed all the main missions in Mexico yesterday, but instead of heading to Blackwater I find myself exploring Mexico at my own leisurely pace, hunting for tresoro, herbs, and bounties. I think I'll head up north sometime next week, I am no rush at all. One of the best games ever for losing yourself in an incredibly immersive world. :lol:

I was about to head off up north myself after completing what I'm assuming will be the final Mexico mission. I didn't get around to even starting that mission though and ended up bumping into even more stranger missions whilst taking some detours and I'm now drawn into completing a couple of costume checklists and ambient challenges as a result. So yeah, with regards to the criticisms from some about the game not rewarding exploration - if I may be so bold - stop talking shite please.

Shot a cougar in the leg, didn't seem to phase it one bit. It was even less fazed when I whipped out my knife to finish the job, and decided to snack on my throat instead.

I just completed the hunter challenge 'melee 2 cougars', and tried to hobble a couple by shooting them in the hindleg first. Instakill. Bit annoying. Got it now though.

Sounds like I'm in roughly the same place as you guys anyway. Just made it to blackwater, but haven't done much yet. Spent a while en route from mexico doing various side-jobs, unlocking costumes, hunting, etc.

Bit disappointed I didn't get to kneecap

Reyes

Anoyingly just missed out on the high roller achievement in blackwater. Won 1933 chips in a hand, but could have had the 2000 if my opponent hadn't wussed out. Just signed up with the R* social club so I can use the gentlemans suit to enter the high stakes game.

Was out picking flowers (supposed to be herbs :facepalm: ) and heard gunfire so ran off in the direction it was coming from only to see 2 guys shooting some poor man who was on his own next to his cart. I was too late to save this guy, but the 2 men then started shooting at me so I headshot the one with my rifle and shoot the other in the shoulder (which I thought was his head at the time). I run in to loot both men and check on the guy (who I thought was still alive at this point) only for the guy who I shot in the shoulder to get up in front of me, much to my suprise. But to my bigger suprise I pull the trigger on my rifle and, because I was so close I guess, instead of a normal shot, I point the rifle upwards under his chin and blow his brains out :lol:

Also whats up with Jenny? She on the herbs I'm picking or what? Mental woman!

Also I been out in the wilderness now for hours, probably days, after the Marshal and I followed some guy to his hideout. I'm just killing critters and stuff and picking flowers and helping strangers etc. Found one treasure chest too. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, but I dont care, I'm having enough fun anyways.

Where do boar hang out? Can't seem to see a picture of them on the map. I'm still in Mexico.

In theory,

north of the MacFarlane place, where the picture is on the map

but I had more luck

a bit south and east of there, more or less dead east of the ranch

In theory,

north of the MacFarlane place, where the picture is on the map

but I had more luck

a bit south and east of there, more or less dead east of the ranch

Cheers. I have seen a few, but it was so long ago now, I couldn't remember where.

That's where I hung out to do do my boar and cougar challenges.

The boar in particular are noticeably more active in dawn and dusk. They were quite a big bigger and grumpier than I'd expected. :facepalm:

I'm onto racoons, skunks and foxes now. I've not seen any foxes, and only one racoon. Which is very dead.

Oh, and due to my cackhanded attempts to get to grips with cheating at poker, I've had the opportunity to try out duelling in more depth. If you place your shots accurately it's quite possible to take the average duellist out with one or two shots to the chest or head. In fact I've had some great animations due to this method. While it is nice to send them twisting and spasming all over the place in fountains of blood and a flurry of bullets, a couple of well placed shots sometimes leaves them just stood woobly for a moment, before they flop to the ground. Pretty amusing.

Wonderful glitch tonight: Had a stranger quest where I had to buy a whore's freedom from her pimp. As I pressed the button to pay up and the cutscene started the game rendered two of the woman - one in the grateful animation and one occupying the same space but in the crying animation. The grateful version ran off to become a nun or something, leaving the other one standing there sobbing. I think I witnessed quantum mechanics in action.

Aside from this poker thing, which may not even be a bug, the only one I've had is where my poncho kept going wierdly flappy and angular in cutscenes one day. Hasn't persisted though.

Incidentally, I think the constant fighting at thieves landing may be intentional. I was walking through town today and witnessed a shootout between the occupants of two neighbouring buildings. I just casually strided past into the saloon. A couple of stray bullets whizzed by but they otherwise left me alone. On the occasions that someone does target me, I can often kill them, a couple of their mates get involved, I kill them too, and everyone else ignores it. I think it's as fractious a town as the name would suggest.

To be fair, when I did enter the saloon the doors fell off. That might be a bug. :facepalm:

I won over 2000 chips in a 5 man game in Mexico but the bastard Achievement didnt drop. Is it only to be had in this mythical high stakes game then?

Still loving this so veyr much.

Oh my! Now the credits are rolling!! THAT ... that was perfect! It wasn't anything different from what the game had done already, but it was just so ... fitting. In all, what a brilliant fucking ending!

all of that done to make sure his son had a better future than the parents, and the cycle just begins again. Absolutely loved it. I managed to avoid spoilers on the ending but as soon as he said he was going to send them off and join them later, I knew what was coming. I might have even got a bit sad at that point

I think you have to win 2000 chips in a single hand, I've cleared out plenty of tables without the achievement dropping, highest win in one hand was something like 1700.

I was playing at the $250 table in the Hotel in Blackwater last night on a sure fire winner with a full house and more than 5k worth of chips on the table, me and the other guy both were all in and he had a higher full house than me so I lost :lol:

The really shit thing is that if you kill everyone at a poker table, it's not like you get any more money that you would killing someone out in the wilderness.

Nice bug in Thieves Landing; as I left my safehouse two strings of sausages fell out of the sky. It's raining meat! :facepalm:

I had some weird bug in mexico where I went to move into cover and ended up leaping about 100 feet into the air instead then died when I hit the ground. I also saw some weird shit where there was a guy that melted into the ground whilst on his horse in the middle of the great plains. I don't know it was a bug or a patch of quicksand though.

I have just completed the mission

where I hand over Javier Escuella to the feds

how much of the game is left?

I did love the change of pace with the

brief stealth moments as you got onto the train to hijack it

Wonderful glitch tonight: Had a stranger quest where I had to buy a whore's freedom from her pimp. As I pressed the button to pay up and the cutscene started the game rendered two of the woman - one in the grateful animation and one occupying the same space but in the crying animation. The grateful version ran off to become a nun or something, leaving the other one standing there sobbing. I think I witnessed quantum mechanics in action.

I had this happen to me as well and what was weird is that the even though I passed the mission I had the mission failed text come up on screen as well. The following mission still popped up later on though. Very weird.