IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

for me the the thunderstorms are the best in a game ever. Rolling all over the sky, sometime near, sometimes far. Astonishing audio as well. Stunning.

They remind me of Unforgiven.

Anyway, think I might bow out of this thread now. A few of you have completed it, or are near to completing it. I'm still in Mexico, so don't want to accidentally spoil anything for myself.

Im just looking at the wiki (reading up on trophies and unlocks) and it says that there is a PS3 exclusive mission called Solomon's Folly. What's that all about?

I think it's a gang hideout you can do.

I think it's a gang hideout you can do.

I've just been there on the 360 version and Marston said "looks like someone cleared out in a hurry" when I arrived there. No mission though. Maybe they heard me coming and decided to hide out in the PS3 version since nobody would ever go there, at least not voluntarily.

I noticed I missed most of the gang hideouts in New Austin so I went back for a bit to do those and gather some herbs and hunts some animals while I'm at it. I also still have the Fort Mercer hideout left to do, so that's an excellent opportunity to gather some red sage which I need for a Stranger mission back down in Mexico. I don't like exploring that area though because of all those scary cougars....

Oh and my trusty steed and loyal companion Golden Arse, which I got from Miss Bonnie in one of the first tutorial missions, just died :lol: He had been with me for 3 days and 5 hours total playing time (according to my stats) and he will always be remembered. I actually felt sad when he suddenly dropped dead. It was during a mission, he took one bullet too many. After killing all the bandits I did look and check to see if he was allright and it looked like he was. He was still walking around an then I guess he bled out because he slumped over and died :)

And then I skinned him.

Anyway, now I have new horse, the first horse I actually bought in the game. No name yet, but I doubt he will be as loyal and trustworthy as Golden Arse.

Was out and about picking some flowers earlier (ingame, not in real life). Whistled to my horse and spun the camera around to watch him approach, and barely noticed a cougar just sitting there in the tall grass near to me. Fastest draw you ever did see, I can tell you.

The really shit thing is that if you kill everyone at a poker table, it's not like you get any more money that you would killing someone out in the wilderness

Yeah, that's the biggest drawback to being caught cheating. Not that you get booted from the game, but that you have to kill a player. They take a while to respawn. Yesterday I kept getting called out as a cheat until there was only me and one other player left. He had the sense to not say anything, but it's no good if you're playing for a big pot.

I was quite enjoying the dice game on this last night but I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. It seems like everyone just guesses their way through it (since there's no way of knowing what dice the others have) til you're sure someone is obviously ridiculously bluffing and you call them out. Saying that someone guessed correctly seems way too risky for the potential gains.

I mentioned this yesterday but the money rewards are all out of whack with this because of that five finger fillet. I've actually banned myself from playing it since it's way too easy to rack up money with it and it makes the rewards for completing quests and finding treasure seem rather menial when you compare the effort involved.

Finished the Mexico bit, the last few missions were a lovely crescendo to a pretty climactic finale :lol:

Now I have an appointment in Blackwater, too bad my daugther just woke up...

We are pretty much at the some point :)

I was quite enjoying the dice game on this last night but I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. It seems like everyone just guesses their way through it (since there's no way of knowing what dice the others have) til you're sure someone is obviously ridiculously bluffing and you call them out. Saying that someone guessed correctly seems way too risky for the potential gains.

I've become quite addicted to Liar's Dice. Yeah it's all about guessing as you say, but it can be more of an educated guess most of the time. You know exactly what you've got, and you know how many dice the opponents have at least. After that it's just thinking about the odds. If a guy says there are two 3s, and you have a 3 yourself, you can fairly safely increase the claim to three 3s - I've found that the opponents never claim to have more of a particular number than they have. As your opponents run out of dice it just gets easier, because the scope of what's available is cut down.

On the other hand I'm totally useless at Five Finger Fillet, because I'm tragically bad at QTEs.

I've noticed that the players in Liar's Dice seem to have personalities, with some of them calling bluff at the drop of a hat, others that always tell the truth, the odd one that always bluffs, et cetera. I've never seen the AI call a Spot On, mind.

I needed to win a game in Mexico last night to unlock the last scrap of an outfit, and I ended up playing a flawless game and unlocking an Achievement for my trouble. I'm not saying there isn't luck involved, but there's definitely scope for reading your virtual opponents and you can make some pretty educated guesses based on how many dice are on the table.

On the other hand I'm totally useless at Five Finger Fillet, because I'm tragically bad at QTEs.

Don't think of it as a QTE; you aren't supposed to be reacting to what's on screen. The idea is that you observe the button pattern of your opponent's stabs, memorise it and then bang through it as fast as you can. It's a memory game, really.

I was struggling like sin at FFF, on the final one. What is it? ABAYAXAYAB x3? I couldn't do it when looking at the screen, the jump from the end of one cycle to the start of another. My brain shat blood everytime. So I instead changed it up and dealt with it as a pad pattern and didn't bother with the TV. I numbered B=1, Y=2, X=3. There's an A in between every other button so I ended up with a pattern of something like 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1 etc, with the A presses punctuating each 'number' button.

I never once failed it after that and could blast the pattern out at android-like speeds.

With FFF, if you look at the pad, it's a piece of piss. It's just a- B -a- Y -a- X -a- B -a- Y ----->start again at the first a

Kinda like cycling through B,Y,X on the 360 pad in an anti-clockwise direction, staring the sequence with A and then hitting A between each button press from that point onwards. Once you hit Y a second time, start the pattern again. Don't bother counting how many times you've repeated the pattern, just keep going until the game flags you as winning the round.

I was struggling like sin at FFF, on the final one. What is it? ABAYAXAYAB x3? I couldn't do it when looking at the screen, the jump from the end of one cycle to the start of another. My brain shat blood everytime. So I instead changed it up and dealt with it as a pad pattern and didn't bother with the TV. I numbered B=1, Y=2, X=3. There's an A in between every other button so I ended up with a pattern of something like 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1 etc, with the A presses punctuating each 'number' button.

I never once failed it after that and could blast the pattern out at android-like speeds.

abayaxabay abayaxabay

It's actually the previous one I find harder due to the switch back to the beginning. abayabayab abayabayab

It's the double ab bit. Still piss easy money though.

With horseshoes I find it helps to swing his arm a few times to check it's actually lined up properly. You can't just centre-screen the target and hope for the best, there seems to be a bit of variation in camera angles and such.

Was out and about picking some flowers earlier (ingame, not in real life). Whistled to my horse and spun the camera around to watch him approach, and barely noticed a cougar just sitting there in the tall grass near to me. Fastest draw you ever did see, I can tell you.

This must be at least the tenth comment in this thread that's triggered the fresh prince theme tune in my head. I think it's the fact that people don't use "whistled" commonly these days.

I finished the game last night and it's just been glorious throughout.

On the last pair of main missions...

The Dutch-hunting missions at the end were not the greatest to be honest. I've not enjoyed the Gatling/machine gun missions generally but this one was just a step too far into the random. Guys shooting from close positions you can't hit because of the armour and dynamite blowing you up. It was more of a puzzle game, remembering the best order to take the guys in to reduce the chance of death. But this is all minor really.

Started on the 100% completion now. Some highlights so far:

- The final Sharpshooter Challenge is a great one. Not easy so makes it worthy of the finale.

- The Master hunter challenge to knife a bear to death is brilliant. I felt like a proper mentalist chasing a bear around with just a blade out. Great actually achieving it.

About to set off collecting all the herbs/flowers for the last Survivalist Challenge

The people you meet at the gambling tables definitely have wildly varying abilities. I was playing in Blackwater trying to net an outfit piece and just couldn't defeat this little Chinese dude. Put on my cheating clothes and failed miserably at it, so ended up dueling him outside. After plugging him full of holes I went back to the table and only one totally rubbish guy had respawned. Pretty efficient way of winning a game of poker really.

Anyway, as millions of other people have said the end is pretty amaze. Definitely feels a little weird going back to finish stuff off.

Got the gentleman's attire? Then play poker at the Blackwater Hotel @ $250 stake and tell me if you can win the full pot or not.

No, I got a message that it would appear after saving after I signed up for the R* Social Club, but it hasn't appeared. I tried the tailor in Thieves Landing and Blackwater to no avail. I only have the suit that allows you to cheat, but I don't think that's the one. It's not in my collection of 'discovered yet uncompleted' suits either.

The people you meet at the gambling tables definitely have wildly varying abilities. I was playing in Blackwater trying to net an outfit piece and just couldn't defeat this little Chinese dude.

Ha, fucking Wong Bing. He's a right bastard.

Yeah I suck badly at Five Finger Fillet and can't throw a horseshoe if my life depended on it.

I'm a demon on the card and dice games though.

I tried horseshoes once and that was enough for me. Completely forgot about the arm wrestling though so I'll have to go back and try that at some point.

No, I got a message that it would appear after saving after I signed up for the R* Social Club, but it hasn't appeared. I tried the tailor in Thieves Landing and Blackwater to no avail. I only have the suit that allows you to cheat, but I don't think that's the one. It's not in my collection of 'discovered yet uncompleted' suits either.

You get it after you have signed into the social club from the console and gone to a safehouse.

The people you meet at the gambling tables definitely have wildly varying abilities.

Christopher Wolfe makes me laugh all the time with his snappy one-liners. Looks a bit like Clint as well.

No, I got a message that it would appear after saving after I signed up for the R* Social Club, but it hasn't appeared. I tried the tailor in Thieves Landing and Blackwater to no avail.

Did it link your gamertag correctly? It should be there after a 'hard save' in one of your houses.

so, i've not paid ANY attention to this, read any previews, reviews, seen any videos.. nothing.

i have heard it's quick to finish though, worth buying or renting? and what's the online like? i saw someone playing free for all earlier on my friends list

whats the fairest review from this?