IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Alrighty! I started playing this today. Spent about 3 or 4 hours this afternoon. I'm going to give my first impressions. I hope you don't mind if I don't bother using spoiler tags for this first few hours of observation. If you need it behind spoiler tags, just let me know.

What a beautiful game! Truly beautiful environment graphics, realistic horses, believable human faces.

The soundtrack also makes me smile. Sparse guitar twangs to keep you company, it's so atmospheric.

Although it's beautiful, I don't get as much desire to explore as a game like Fallout 3. I don't really see buildings in the distance and think "Ooh lets ride there and see what it is." Though it's good to have such a draw distance anyway! However, I spent a while reading lots of gravestones. One of the MacFarlanes died of chronic diarrhea?

I'd prefer a proper health bar to this "blood on the screen" malarkey that games do these days. Also it seems to only take a few hits to kill Marston. I'm sensing the game could get quite tough.

Got the first treasure map, but I can't figure out where to go. I know it must be around Hanging Rock because I see the place drawn in fig. 1. But then what? I spent ages trying to stand in a place that looked exactly as drawn on the treasure map, but couldn't find anything.

I suck at poker. Lost every game I've played. Do you have to defeat everyone at the table? I was scared to leave the table in case it counts as losing. It doesn't tell me if it's "tournament" rules, or if I can leave with whatever chips I have. I got bored of a game that looked like it would never end... me and this other guy left at the table, back and forth with each others chips for an hour. I went all-in on a bad hand just to end the boredom.

Not seen any dangerous wildlife yet. But from watching Youtube videos, I'm terrified of the sound cougars make. I dread meeting them.

That stallion you get in Bonnie's mission to teach you about capturing horses... it lasted 5 minutes. My first bounty mission, lasso'd the guy, put him on my horse... then his friends showed up and killed my horse as soon as the "putting him on the horse" animation finished.

I'm getting "masterpiece game" vibe here. But I'm sure there'll be frustrations along the way :blink:

Got the first treasure map, but I can't figure out where to go. I know it must be around Hanging Rock because I see the place drawn in fig. 1. But then what? I spent ages trying to stand in a place that looked exactly as drawn on the treasure map, but couldn't find anything.

You're looking in the right place, but

the map is two views of the same thing

If you kill a store owner do they respawn?

I was playing Poker in Armadillo with the guy who hates Jews, when he said "That John Marston used to be a hired killer for the Jews" like I wasn't sat right in front of him :blink:

Guess I'm kind of a big deal, having finished Mexico. But everyone keeps saying my name and praising/talking shit, even through walls in the saloon, and it's becoming annoying.

Neither Nintendo or Bethesda can do this.

Agreed. But to be brutally honest, before RDR came out I didn't think anyone could do this.The next Elder Scrolls having a world of similar quality (and on top of that everything that makes an Elder Scrolls game so great) is wishful thinking, but who knows - they've been working on part 5 since finishing Oblivion and it was already in the planning stages before that, so they've had plenty of development time...

RDR also makes me look forward to LA Noir, if Rockstar can make the LA Noir world as immersive and atmospheric as in RDR but in a film noir setting... it's going to be the best thing ever! RDR also proves that a GTA-like game works wonderfully well at a slower pace, so I'm expecting big things now.

Only Bungie's new action RPG can deliver something like this! :blink:

:wub:

The only criticism I have of the environment in RDR is that it is (perhaps necessarily) idealised, for maximum eye-candy. So you have lots of very diverse areas in fairly close proximity, and each of those areas is fairly dense with interesting geographical features. I'm not saying I'd like a featureless desert, but a degree of sparseness would make the interesting features stand out more.

It's the only thing that makes the environment feel videogamey. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

The only criticism I have of the environment in RDR is that it is (perhaps necessarily) idealised, for maximum eye-candy. So you have lots of very diverse areas in fairly close proximity, and each of those areas is fairly dense with interesting geographical features. I'm not saying I'd like a featureless desert, but a degree of sparseness would make the interesting features stand out more.

It's the only thing that makes the environment feel videogamey. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. It's never really a problem until you get to experience the Great Plains, which should really be referred to as just a Sort-of-big-Plain.

I understand why it's like this though, and chances are if they expanded the distances involved to make it more realistic, we'd all be moaning. And it does convince more often than not when you get up high and look across a vista - it's just that you can be in snowy mountains one minute, and red-rock desert mesas the next, or at least after only a few minutes of riding.

Yeah, I think the first two regions transferred from one locale type to another pretty flawlessly, but the West Elizabeth microcosm's just a little too crammed in for the illusion to pass by unnoticed.

I have just completed the mission

where I hand over Javier Escuella to the feds

how much of the game is left?

I did love the change of pace with the

brief stealth moments as you got onto the train to hijack it

I dont know why I keep banging this drum, but as you are a mod Im gonna try again, in the hope if I educate you that you might spread the holy gospel.

Can you tell me how I would ever have any clue, unless I had finished the game, as to whether I could reveal those spoilers? INCLUDE SOME SORT OF DESCRIPTION AS TO WHAT ITS ABOUT! Make it vague and as cryptic as you want, people who have played the mission will know what you are talking about.

I dont know why I keep banging this drum, but as you are a mod Im gonna try again, in the hope if I educate you that you might spread the holy gospel.

Can you tell me how I would ever have any clue, unless I had finished the game, as to whether I could reveal those spoilers? INCLUDE SOME SORT OF DESCRIPTION AS TO WHAT ITS ABOUT! Make it vague and as cryptic as you want, people who have played the mission will know what you are talking about.

Will remember it in future, could of been done a bit better on my part. Apologies.

I think the geography of the world is fine really. If anything I'd like things to be more condensed. I haven't gotten to Mexico yet but I'm already occasionally fast-travelling if one mission is far away from where another one ends. Not if it's across an area I haven't been to but there's some areas, like between Armadillo and the starting town, or between there and Thieves Landing which I'm just sick of the sight of now. I got on a train for the first time earlier this afternoon and after a couple of minutes I was like 'boring!' Nothing to look at but flat plains in 4 different directions. And before anyone starts I loved sightseeing in SOTC :blink: There's no doubt there's some beautiful areas in the game, especially when the lighting is right, I just don't think the landscape needs to be any more spread out than it is. It's just the plains that bore me really. I'm sure everyone has different opinions but I'd rather have a condensed version of reality for the sake of fun and interest than one which favours 'realism' purely for the sake of it.

Anyway does that Bollard Twins outfit have any use at all? After all the trouble I had to go to to earn it I'm not sure what possible use I can put it to. I've already cleared the hideout once I think.

I haven't watched that half-hour machinima, but from what people are saying on other boards, it's mostly just cutscenes from the first third of the game with some different camera angles and transitions, and no way of knowing what exactly John Hillcoat did to "direct" it.

So far I'm absolutely loving this. I had a bit of an iffy start when on my first or second mission I tried to climb up a rock and fell through the world. Other than that I've had one other crash which inside 15 hours of gaming isn't great but isn't a disaster either.

Other than that though, it's incredible. Stunning and immersive in equal measure. Your arrival into Mexico trumps anything I've had in a video game for years. The feeling of pulling off six or more headshots in a row with Deadeye is epic. My biggest problem is not wanting to finish it but I imagine there's probably plenty that opens up when you do.

Is there a list anywhere of films that it references? I've gotten most of the Man with no Name ones but I'd like to watch or re-watch ones that I've missed out on. I must admit I was hoping for a Dark Tower reference or two but I've not seen any yet.

Also, I don't have internet access, so if anyone wants my PS3 War Horse code drop me a PM :blink:

I think the geography of the world is fine really. If anything I'd like things to be more condensed. I haven't gotten to Mexico yet but I'm already occasionally fast-travelling if one mission is far away from where another one ends. Not if it's across an area I haven't been to but there's some areas, like between Armadillo and the starting town, or between there and Thieves Landing which I'm just sick of the sight of now. I got on a train for the first time earlier this afternoon and after a couple of minutes I was like 'boring!' Nothing to look at but flat plains in 4 different directions. And before anyone starts I loved sightseeing in SOTC :blink: There's no doubt there's some beautiful areas in the game, especially when the lighting is right, I just don't think the landscape needs to be any more spread out than it is. It's just the plains that bore me really. I'm sure everyone has different opinions but I'd rather have a condensed version of reality for the sake of fun and interest than one which favours 'realism' purely for the sake of it.

Anyway does that Bollard Twins outfit have any use at all? After all the trouble I had to go to to earn it I'm not sure what possible use I can put it to. I've already cleared the hideout once I think.

That's why you get on the roof of the train and shoot things. makes the journey more fun. Especially when you have to watch out for branches and wires.

I never really found much use for the Bollard Twins outfit. Maybe it helps to sneak up when going for Bollard gang bounties. I was a little disappointed that it's just John's normal getup with added chaps and neckerchief.

The whole entrance to Mexico... I must have done it wrong somehow? My mate said to me there was some cool tune playing etc. But I don't recall anything like that...

Just a pretty average gun fight along the river on the barge?

Just watched the short film (it's 24 mins long).....hmmm. As has been said, it is just the cut scenes strung together, so it is hard to see what the director "directed".

There are some new camera angles, especially as some real time segments are played out as cut scenes - much like when you see trailers for Rockstar games in general. But for anyone starting the game just now, there are some spoilers of course. It plays out the main cutscenes up until

the shootout at Fort Mercer

but doesn't include any of the Bonnie stuff.

It does go to show though, how well Rockstar do direction and voice acting compared to other games out there.

Watching it now. One bit that stood out as odd so far was the change to John's response when asked by West-Dickens to verify that his eyesight's improved from "If you say so..." to a badly dubbed "Yep!", which seems less fitting to the character.

Also, the sudden change to the elegant suit.

The dog, why the hell do I know that.

So you didn't know who

Van Der Linde

was and you didn't know who

Escualera

was but you did know that Rufus is the dog?!?

I had an odd quirk on one of the challenges which asks me to kill two types of wildlife within one deadeye meter, so I promptly blew away a bird and a deer but nothing happened.

Yeah I found this. I believe that birds don't count as 'wildlife' for this challenge. I got it when I tried killing a skunk and a racoon.

I got it by popping a buffalo and the cougar chasing it. In fact, I've spent most of the day either hunting on the great plains or playing poker. Both have been suitably epic - I'm nearing the end of the ambient challenges, have my highroller achievement and also knocked out all opponents in a seperate game as part of an outfit unlock.

Got my highroller with an epic 2700 chip hand; I had something like a king high straight flush, and it turns out all the other guys, who had all been betting hard, were bluffing with shit like a pair of 5's! Knocked out 2 of them instantly and reduced a third to barely a few hundred chips. Very satisfying once you know how to play.

Cougar found and went for me whilst I was in the area of Irish, collecting wolf skins. The bastard scared the shit out of me whilst minding my own business.

Makes me want to start up hunting again, used to love it with my dad. The skill, the quietness, the experience. We only hunted rabbit and fessant for eating mind. :blink:

We used to try for this heron that wondered his massive fish pond in the very early hours of the morning that used to pluck the carp up onto the dry and leave them, cruel git; least to say we never got him. :wub:

Mexico's been amazing. It's all about wandering around a dusty little town at dusk, listening to the clatter of pots and the chirping crickets. And you're wearing a poncho. Best Rockstar game ever.

One irritation for me is the save system. From what I can tell if I'm just exploring then there's no autosave as that only happens if I've had some vaguely significant event. So yesterday I trot around the place finding new locations, opening a few chests, hunting, etc. Then I end up dying in a rather comical and unexpected fashion which I won't bore you with here.

When I restart those locations I've found are unexplored again right? Because when I went back the chests had to be opened again, that seems irritating in a game that's all about exploring - having to camp to save just seems like a pain when you're getting lost in it all.

That said it's still great stuff.

Went to Thieves Landing for the 1st time with the horse you get (light colored one) from breaking it in with Bonnie and I guess I didnt hitch it. Whistled and got some brown colored horse instead :blink:

I've heard theres a 20 mission with same horse achievement, so I guess I'll have to buy the deed for it and start again remembering to hitch it in towns this time or something.