IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

I've not had the best of luck ith horses today.

First of all I heard a growl, but I hit deadeye and shot the cougars head just before it got too me. Then a bit down the road another bolted past and swiped at my horse on it's way. Dead. I killed that one as well, and waited till I could whistle for a new horse. So I carried on my journey when yet another cougar managed too kill my horse.

A little while after that I was set upon by a apck of wolves. I thought I'd killed them all, but one had managed too hide under my horse and it took great pleasure in depriving me of my third stead.

Everything went well for a while, until a woman was screaming for help. So I went over to see what was happening. It turned out she had lured me into an ambush. However, I amanged too kill all the thugs she's set upon me and I hogtied her. Just as I was putting her on my horse it dropped dead. :quote:

TO. NOT TOO. TO.

They only take 2 knife swipes, it's not very hard. That said I may have been quite lucky, because sometimes they run at you relentlessly giving you very little chance to do anything, but in my situation they just kept circling but sometimes going in for 1 swipe (which doesn't usually kill you)

How the fuck do you kill cougars with a knife?? They keep swiping and slicing me up

Just make sure you're not holding the Left trigger down while swiping with the Right Trigger otherwise you're just slashing outwards at head height. Without the Left Trigger you can aim downwards.

I 100%-ed it today. It took me 84 hours.

What's the criteria to 100% the game Meerman?

Also, anyone know if/how stranger missions can be replayed? It appears I need one or two doing for outfits, I assume I've failed them or not discovered them.

What's the criteria to 100% the game Meerman?

Also, anyone know if/how stranger missions can be replayed? It appears I need one or two doing for outfits, I assume I've failed them or not discovered them.

The following should let you know everything you need: http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%25

On the R* Social Club site there's a checklist that tracks progress for you but it's bugged and a number of things won't track properly.

If a stranger mission is failed then it will turn up again at a later point for you to try again. If you've completed it you can't replay it. Some missions will go INACTIVE, a few game days later they normally come back to life with the character appearing somewhere new on the map to find.

Cougars are easy with the knife. Killing a bear with a knife... now that's giving me nightmares. I'm sure I'll do it one day.

I cheated and did soften up the bear. Having said that though it's much easier to make a bear run from you and just chase it around with your knife.

The following should let you know everything you need: http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%25

On the R* Social Club site there's a checklist that tracks progress for you but it's bugged and a number of things won't track properly.

If a stranger mission is failed then it will turn up again at a later point for you to try again. If you've completed it you can't replay it. Some missions will go INACTIVE, a few game days later they normally come back to life with the character appearing somewhere new on the map to find.

I cheated and did soften up the bear. Having said that though it's much easier to make a bear run from you and just chase it around with your knife.

Can you gimp yourself from ever reaching 100%? i.e by doing a mission in the wrong way, or by missing something?

Also, I'm not seeing any bollard twins wanted posters at the Macfaralane ranch any more, and I need to bring one in alive for the outfit. Have I gimped this for myself by completing the bounty by killing them all?

I swear that a wolf I was trying to shoot was deliberating strafing.

I too had a brief lull in interest a little way into the Mexico missions, but found that switching the aiming to Expert actually helps a lot keeping the gameplay fresh. When you get a string of missions that involve little more than riding somewhere and shooting people, it's much more interesting and intense without the incredibly liberal auto-aiming in Normal, but not really that much harder. Casual must literal snap straight to someone when you press the shoulder button?

One thing I want help for: I want to get the cool sounding uniform, a scrap of which you need to buy from the tailor in Blackwater. I've done the other 5 things you need for it, yet when I go to the tailor the scrap is listed but 'unavailable'. The list for the costume in the menu isn't grayed out or anything so looks like I should be able to buy it?

Even after I've completed it 100% I still won't lay RDR to rest. I'm going for the achievements now, which is a first for me; I never bother getting achievements in games deliberately.

Right now I'm hogtying bankers and cracking safes, and with wearing my new bureau uniform nobody bats an eyelid at me doing it!

One thing I want help for: I want to get the cool sounding uniform, a scrap of which you need to buy from the tailor in Blackwater. I've done the other 5 things you need for it, yet when I go to the tailor the scrap is listed but 'unavailable'. The list for the costume in the menu isn't grayed out or anything so looks like I should be able to buy it?

US Army

? It doesn't tell you, but it will only become available after you complete the final story mission. Unless DLC makes use of it that tailors is kinda pointless, selling a single scrap of clothing and nothing else.

Guys, regarding the random 'stuttering' many of us have come across. I now know what causes mine: friends coming online. Any stuttering I notice is shortly succeeded by a "so-and-so is online" notification. So stop playing your 360s when I'm playing this, you selfish bastards, you're ruining my game! :rolleyes:

:coffee:

I turned notifications off especially for RDR, not because of the stuttering but because the constant notifications of who's online ruined the incredible immersion in this game world somewhat.

Well that was fun - I've changed my mind about MP. Its flawed, glitchy but provided you go about it the right way its fun.

The basic freeroam is a bit rubbish on your own - and the PvP stuff is just bone. BUT...

We started at just after 7 last night. What a lovely chap Mr. Do is - next thing its half one I've managed to ignore my wife coming in I'm lost as to where the night has gone. We started off with a private freeroam which was great fun. Lots of amusing banter (plus civilised breaks for cans of Guiness / beer / toilet trips / putting ducks & rabbits to bed). Smashing up the gang hideouts with headsets is brilliant and without randoms murdering you from three miles away. It was also nice as we unlocked lots of snacky kit ... until the game crashed.

I've kept my XP and unlockable characters etc but lost ALL my guns.

:wub:

Knobbling gangs is great - will be doing some more of this (plus getting my guns back hopefully). We had a quick sniffle round a certain "haunted house" ...

And it was glitch city. I don't think its actually haunted.

This bodes well for co-op.

We then public as we were a bit more tooled up and had some brilliant hours gettting bountied and trying to stay alive once most wanted for 10 minutes. This is harder than it looks - and easier if there's a couple of you in party. We ended up holed up on a roof murdering lawmen and randoms. My issue was that I simply hadn't got the kit as the game crashing put me right back to basics.

So I reckon there's potential there. Private freeroam is limited - you can rip through the hideouts in a few hours - but worth it for the guns and XP plus the kick of the banter of doing it with a few mates.

Public is again fun once you're in with a party of friends. But we found oursleves a few times up against a level 35 or higher random who insta-killed us as soon as we respawned. Probably either a bug or some kind of exploit.

Anyway back to single player until next time - I've got cougars to skin.

PS. Mr. Do. is lovely.

:rolleyes:

Aye it was good fun last night, and I'll definitely be playing more of the multiplayer now. After you left, I did go for the public enemy achievement again, but some random twat in a posse came into the saloon and killed me :(

Just to let everyone know, you can get the gang hideout achievement, by playing them all in a private free roam with a friend. But then all you have to do is play one more gang hideout of your choice in a public match, and it'll unlock like it did for me.

Cheers David Blunkett :coffee:

Oh yeah, this game has the most beautiful weather system I've ever seen in a game. Just watching the sun rise whilst we murdered the bandits at the mansion was a delight.

This. I stabbed two cougars to death without softening them up or staying on my horse. Hunting for cougars separates the men from the boys it seems.

Yeah well I punched one to death so I suppose they separate the women from the men as well :rolleyes:

Even after I've completed it 100% I still won't lay RDR to rest. I'm going for the achievements now, which is a first for me; I never bother getting achievements in games deliberately.

Right now I'm hogtying bankers and cracking safes, and with wearing my new bureau uniform nobody bats an eyelid at me doing it!

Have you managed the one in Blackwater? I can't get through the locked door at all, even tried shooting out the windows and couldn't jump through.

A shotgun in the face will also kill bears in one hit.

To make knifing cougars and such easier, you only need to get the final hit in with a knife. Shoot them in the chest with a pistol, then the knife should only take one hit.

I used a sniper rifle. One well-aimed headshot did the job.

I found it a lot easier to use the Buffalo rifle and take headshots. That way you can use dead eye to make sure your aim is perfect and you also won't get caught off guard when the buggers sneak up on you and end up at close range.

Way behind most as I seem to have a love life now, but I finally reached

Mexico

yesterday. Man, the visuals in this game keep impressing me. Nice song as well. Also, the last mission before you reach it, was pretty damn cool.

Especially when you hit TNT and bodies are flying through the air before landing in the water with a big splash. Seeing them roll off cliff was fun as well.

And man, some of the strangers (most of them really) are fucked up. :rolleyes: