IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Right, so nowt happens then I take it. Shame, they could have done something good with the setting.

Yes something's happening alright.

Go there, wander about the house around midnight. Listen carefully. Better if you have 5.1 sound. Then go see what's causing the sounds.

15 hours in now and I've just made it to Mexico. I'm taking my time with it and only doing the story missions occasionally and spent most of time going after Wanted criminals, playing cards or doing stranger missions. Compared to the GTA games where I ignore the side missions and mainline the game as quickly as possible I'm having too much fun in Red Dead just messing around in the world instead of trying to get to the end credits as quickly as possible.

Some of the Mexico missions make me feel like I've been ignoring the story too much to find my own way, like it's just walked me through a mission to teach the face-off which I've done about 15 of already. I know how to bloody shoot!

Once you start doing the missions with (West Elizabeth pre end-game spoilers)

your son and uncle etc, does it ever pick up again? It was really tremendous up until then but now its become a bit tedious. I mean there was one mission that literally involved riding a stagecoach to a waypoint, watching a cutscene and then riding back.

Awful.

Edited by Uncle Mike
spoiler tags

Once you start doing the missions with

your son and uncle etc, does it ever pick up again? It was really tremendous up until then but now its become a bit tedious. I mean there was one mission that literally involved riding a stagecoach to a waypoint, watching a cutscene and then riding back.

Awful.

You're awful. Keep playing, dagnabbit! :)

You can thank me later for that advice.

Edited by Uncle Mike
spoiler tags

I finished this on Saturday :)

It really started to drag for me in Mexico, but picked up again when i went back north. I don't think I'm gonna go back and play the single player again, but i have started to enjoy the multiplayer a bit more.

Spoiler that shit sdm/meerman. :)

Suddenly returning home and hanging out with your old lady, your kid and your tar-lipped uncle is a wonderful little moment after all the shit you went through. A genuinely surprising change of pace. But not if you're playing the game wondering when exactly the bit is when you hang out with your old lady, your kid and your tar-lipped uncle.

Yeah cheers for that mate.

That's a bit of a problem with this game - I was playing for 24 hours before I even got to Mexico. It'll probably be another 24 before I get near the end of the story, yet I like coming into this thread and reading about people's experiences. I expect this amazing ending that people keep talking about will be spoiled at some point.

At least he didn't mention the [spoiler ] alien invasion. [/spoiler ]

I quite liked how the Greys were merely humans from the future trying to avoid their inevitable demise. Or the alternative ending where the Greys were a species from another planet where they could no longer reproduce and had to experiment with alternative DNA from other species, explaining all the abductions and experimentation.

Spoiler that shit sdm/meerman. :blink:

:facepalm: I'm so sorry guys. It never occurred to me it was a spoiler what he posted there. Still, if I had spoilered his quote, his original post would still be left unspoilered.

I went to the Tumbleweed mansion in the middle of the night, during a storm, and though I was slightly nervous due to expecting bad shit, I swear I heard some voices in the basement, really soft, that weren't coming from anyone.

So I completed this over the weekend.

Didn't want to leave the west behind so I continued to faff around for a bit. Then checked my percentage complete and I was on 98.6%.

So I got 100% completion over the weekend :facepalm:

Realistically achievable for once, absolutely fantastic game and I'm still tempted to dip back in just to take in the stunning scenery and atmosphere.

But...

END SPOILERS

I miss John sadface.jpg

I think I may be a little burnt out by it, I've got to Mexico (after realising I couldn't get there over the train bridge and plummeting to my death. Horses have a massive turning circle) but feeling a bit apathetic to traipsing about. Couple of days break with some Blur and Split Second methinks.

I think I may be a little burnt out by it, I've got to Mexico (after realising I couldn't get there over the train bridge and plummeting to my death. Horses have a massive turning circle) but feeling a bit apathetic to traipsing about. Couple of days break with some Blur and Split Second methinks.

Lots of people seem to have a brief lull in the first third or so of the Mexico section. It gets more interesting towards the end of that bit, then stays great.

I think in retrospect the problem with Mexico, in terms of narrative - mild plot spoilers for Mexico - , is that

the whole rebellion/revolution angle has very little to do with the narrative of the game as a whole. Only the last handful of missions get the plot back on track. This whole section is mostly about John being prevented from pursuing his goals by other groups dragging things out, but this kind of frustrates the player in the same way it does John!

One little thing I do love about the game comes from Marston himself. I like how he has very little patience for being fucked about, but realises he has to grit his teeth and get on with it, rather than just keep going without mentioning how much doing trivial errands for people is making them want to shove a gun in their face. He's a brilliant character.