IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Being in a western kind of mood, I watched Open Range last night. Goddamn, that's a great movie.

I've been hovering around the 70% mark in the game for over a week now, not wanting the game to end. :facepalm:

I saw that at the cinema, the end gunfight is so epic. The start is quite slow, so the first time i heard a gun being fired (in the bar) i jumped about 5 ft off my chair, great stuff :blink:

Yeah well, I apologised. I imagine we've all done far worse things in our time than give hints as to where the plot of a video game is headed.

Context sir. It isn't as if you have announced that

The Titanic has sunk

. You have though compromised peoples enjoyment of discovery within the game, therefore I can understand the frustration.

You have apologised though, so it is all good :facepalm:

I can't find a bloody seagull to shoot :P

Im fairly sure that is the only animal I haven't killed in the game. I've been near the sea on the far western edge of the map but still no joy.

Any ideas anyone??

I'm sure I've heard seagulls by the docks in Blackwater.

Cheers for that, I need to go to blackwater as I have to defeat all other players in a game of poker( :P ) so i'll have a wander around the docks. :P

I saw one on the Gunsmith's roof in Blackwater. Stairs all around the back of the shops.

Cheers for that, I need to go to blackwater as I have to defeat all other players in a game of poker( :P ) so i'll have a wander around the docks. :P

One tip is that different numbers of people are around at different times of days. I THINK that you only need to defeat all the people at the table at any one time, so if you go to play when there's only one person there it's much much easier!

This helped a lot with the Liars' Dice for one of the outfits.

Now I've got the hang of liars dice I think it's a piece of piss. The AI is a bit moronic as well, making bids that are obviously fake. I don't have a clue about poker though. Never really played it before, the tutorial is rubbish and I don't know what are good hands and what are bad hands. I was dismayed when it came up in an early Mexico mission but I think it was rigged because I just kept bidding and everyone else kept folding, I didn't have a clue what was going on :P

I love the poker. The 'skip to your turn' button just makes it. On the XBLA Texas Hold 'Em I'll often call whatever my hand, just because sitting watching the AI play out the rest of the hand took ages. Now if I have shit cards it's X to fold then RB to skip and it's my go again. Great stuff.

Also I've just stuck the soundtrack on and it's pretty sweet stuff to work to. I'm pretty convinced there's a rattlesnake in here somewhere though :P

Anyway, most of the way through Blackwater spoilers (govt missions complete):

Fucking hell what a LOVELY surprise. I just assumed I'd take down Dutch and that would be it. Then it became apparent that wasn't going to be the case but I still didn't expect to go back to the ranch and the family. :P I'd only been thinking about the cattle driving earlier on that day; it seemed that out of all the stuff Bonnie teaches you at the outset that was the only one that had no practical use throughout the game. If all that stuff felt a bit grindy at the time it makes perfect sense now - because you have to go home and teach it all to your son.

Amazing, AMAZING stuff. No idea where it goes from here, either. I can only assume things get truly awful at some point.

I think I might finally understand Poker for the first time ever as a result of playing this.

One question though, what does Side Pot/Main Pot to award mean?

Briefly before someone else comes in and describes it perfectly and I feel, and look, stupid:

Say three of you are in a hand and everyone's raising, to the point where one player runs out of chips. At that point everyone meets said guy's final raise and the main pot is essentially closed. Then the two remaining guys carry on playing the hand between themselves and that's the side pot. At the end of the hand the side pot goes to one of the two remaining guys then the main pot is dealt with as normal.

if somone has gone all-in but then other players have continued to bet the person who is out of money obviously can't continue, so the pot is split at that point.

I love how the cheating is implemented, makes it much easier to beat those damned chinamen in Blackwater.

I found the (end of game spoilers)

missions after you return home to your family

tense as all buggery, waiting for

it all to go horrible wrong for John, Abigail and Jack

:P

Briefly before someone else comes in and describes it perfectly and I feel, and look, stupid:

Say three of you are in a hand and everyone's raising, to the point where one player runs out of chips. At that point everyone meets said guy's final raise and the main pot is essentially closed. Then the two remaining guys carry on playing the hand between themselves and that's the side pot. At the end of the hand the side pot goes to one of the two remaining guys then the main pot is dealt with as normal.

Is correct.

I love how the cheating is implemented, makes it much easier to beat those damned chinamen in Blackwater.

Surely you can't cheat on the Blackwater table, because you need to wear the Gentleman's attire, no?

I've never tried the cheating anyway, never needed to. Wiped the floor with those pussies on the high roller table without it, they really do suck hard at poker. What exactly does the 'cheating' allow you to do?

Thank you, I've been wondering about it myself.

I've never tried the cheating anyway, never needed to. Wiped the floor with those pussies on the high roller table without it, they really do suck hard at poker. What exactly does the 'cheating' allow you to do?

gameplay mechanic spoilers?

you swipe a random card from the deck and can swap it into your current hand. If you get caught you have to duel the guy.

I probably could win without cheating but I like sitting around smugly ripping the arse of the other guys.

I imagine there's almost no chance of them implementing online poker etc cos it would compete with MS's own efforts on XBLA.

Im not brilliant at poker so games tend to go on for aaaaaaages. Good tip about the time of day, I'll go in the early hours of the morning! :)

The best time to get 1 or 2 players is actually in the early afternoon. At about 1am the table is always full.

It's easy to clear that table, especially once you can cheat. I did it the first game I played there. 5000 chips, the "2000 in one hand achievement". :P

I love the poker - I do genuinely feel like I'm playing against 'characters'. It's brilliant seeing them milling about the place afterwards. I was an arm wrestling contest with one Jesus Quintero way out in the desert, then the next day I'm playing poker against him.

Is it me or do they seem to bed hard with fuck all quite a lot? Makes for good games! I guess if they were really good players they'd just be folding a load more, which isn't as fun.

I've never actually successfully cheated. I feel so bad having to kill the guy who has got me bang to rights that I can't face trying it on again.

There's a poker table outside of the Blackwater Saloon, you can wear what you like.

Corrected.

The Hotel has the $250 table on the 1st floor. That one requires the gentleman's attire (sign up to the Rockstar Social club to get it).

Is there any way to find out how well you're doing in Blackjack? There doesn't seem to be any indication as to how many chips the other players have, short of writing down all the plays they make.

It's you versus the dealer (the 'house'). You're not playing against the other players at all in Blackjack.

Does anyone need help with these mini-games? Let me know via PM and I'll help you out the best I can.

It's you versus the dealer (the 'house'). You're not playing against the other players at all in Blackjack.

Thanks. So how do you tell how well you're doing against the dealer? I was in a game that was lasting so long that I had to quit out of it...