Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Played it yesterday for 5 hours.

It really is incredible. I mean, it's so incredible that I actually put the controller down and started pondering about the future of Videogames (which I hope they include the carriage & horse bug. Every future game should have a carriage & horse bug.)

I only did two story missions I think, because most of the time I spent helping around at the ranch, playing poker, taming horses, hunting deer and birds and helping out people on the way from the ranch to Armadillo.

I started playing poker and the table was filled with proper in-game characters that live in the ranch, talking and cursing, slaming the cards on the table. One of them got up and left, he lost all his money. I managed to win 4 dollars in the end, I am sure the ranch sheriff was cheating though. I was so enthralled that I looked outside the window and I realised the whole night had passed!

Jesus, get up and do so some work mr. Marshton. I decided to search from my first treasure. While on the way I apprehended two fleeing thieves, shot some birds and managed to make my horse kick me down due to careless overwork. Sorry, boy.

I arrived at Armadillo because I needed provisions. Rain started to fall and it got darker and darker. I bought some apples for my horse, a new medicine for me and a rabbit's foot, you know, for luck, which I put on my hat.

I heard gunfire. I went out of the store and I saw some members of a local gang with weird hats entering the town in their horses, shooting in the air and yelling. "Bastards" I thought. Suddenly I realised they weren't just playing around. They had tied a woman in one of the horses and they were dragging her around.

That was it. I took out my revolver and using my amazing dead eye skill shot and cut the rope that the woman was tied to. I actually cut the rope. She got up, crying and screaming and ran away. The gang was pissed and came back shooting at me.

I killed them all in the pouring rain.

As I was looting their corpses, looking for money and ammo, another gang member with a tall hat came out and challenged me in a duel. We stood face to face and drew our weapons. I shot his hand and his pistol dropped, humiliating him. He ran away cursing.

That was that. I had a treasure to find.

:unsure:

Played it yesterday for 5 hours.

It really is incredible. I mean, it's so incredible that I actually put the controller down and started pondering about the future of Videogames (which I hope they include the carriage & horse bug. Every future game should have a carriage & horse bug.)

I only did two story missions I think, because most of the time I spent helping around at the ranch, playing poker, taming horses, hunting deer and birds and helping out people on the way from the ranch to Armadillo.

I started playing poker and the table was filled with proper in-game characters that live in the ranch, talking and cursing, slaming the cards on the table. One of them got up and left, he lost all his money. I managed to win 4 dollars in the end, I am sure the ranch sheriff was cheating though. I was so enthralled that I looked outside the window and I realised the whole night had passed!

Jesus, get up and do so some work mr. Marshton. I decided to search from my first treasure. While on the way I apprehended two fleeing thieves, shot some birds and managed to make my horse kick me down due to careless overwork. Sorry, boy.

I arrived at Armadillo because I needed provisions. Rain started to fall and it got darker and darker. I bought some apples for my horse, a new medicine for me and a rabbit's foot, you know, for luck, which I put on my hat.

I heard gunfire. I went out of the store and I saw some members of a local gang with weird hats entering the town in their horses, shooting in the air and yelling. "Bastards" I thought. Suddenly I realised they weren't just playing around. They had tied a woman in one of the horses and they were dragging her around.

That was it. I took out my revolver and using my amazing dead eye skill shot and cut the rope that the woman was tied to. I actually cut the rope. She got up, crying and screaming and ran away. The gang was pissed and came back shooting at me.

I killed them all in the pouring rain.

As I was looting their corpses, looking for money and ammo, another gang member with a tall hat came out and challenged me in a duel. We stood face to face and drew our weapons. I shot his hand and his pistol dropped, humiliating him. He ran away cursing.

That was that. I had a treasure to find.

:unsure:

And just when I thought I couldn't be any more excited about picking this up :(

I'm getting a real Assassin's Creed 2 vibe from this, what with the historical setting and numerous things to do (and the horseriding).

I wish my first couple of hours were as good as Talk Show Hosts, I spent them squinting at the screen trying to work out who to kill and accidentally killing my horse whilst I was riding it at top speed. Must be my eyes but I can't read the font and HUD that well :unsure:

I did lasso a dog though, that was quite funny.

In a story not quite as romantic as Talk Show Host's, I was going full pelt towards a cliff edge to see if the horse would jump off. It was around that point I discovered that if you whip the horse too much it has a tendency to throw you off its back.

How many radio channels are there in this game then?

They replaced the radio channels with the best game soundtrack I've ever heard. Ennio Morricone with some slightly more modern acoustic guitar stuff chucked in.

I managed to reserve the last PS3 copy at my Argos. Still unsure if my one is doing that trade in deal but £33.99 is still a pretty good price otherwise.

Just did the same, Last copy also in my local store :unsure: Was panicing I wouldnt get a PS3 copy and I never even thought of checking Argos.

Just been into hmv to pick up my ltd edition pre order...and got the 800 points thrown at my face, wooo!

Now to buy milk, after I get these keys cut...an exciting life I lead , indeed.

Haven't played much, but it's just such a lovely word to explore. The tumbleweeds, the wildlife, the odd stranger, a train passing by (particularly at night)... it's wonderful. It's a beast of an engine with its incredible draw distance. None of Oblivion's awful grass pop up every five meters here.

Animation is wonderful, the gunfights (Expert aiming for the win) have punch, dialogue and voice acting are leagues ahead of basically anything in this industry not made by Naughty Dog and I love those nice little open world moments. Yesterday I left a village at night when a gang rode by, with every member firing its guns in the air and the smoke slowly dissolving when I continued my way. Great soundtrack as well.

I didn't get my 800 points from Tesco... The staff seem inept, so wondering if it is worth the hassle to try and get them.

£37.90 in store by the way.

So, what do you reckon the chances are of me getting 800 points from Tesco if I take my receipt in?

Go in with your receipt and explain you didn't receive the 800 points which you should have done.

I'll try to find the ad to scan while at work and post it on here for you forumites.

Just as well you didn't try riding off a cliff. My stupid horse fell off a cliff. Managed to get back $4 for the meat and hide.

At least it came running the next morning when I whistled for it.

I seem to be dying less now (5+ hours in), though the guy who I discouraged from trying to kill a prostitute did make a serious attempt to kill me.

Had my first duel in Armadillo. The slow-mo thing made it easy to shoot the gun out of the other guy's hand.

Now broke in three horses, the last I got to keep (not sure that is such a good thing as I had the LE and was riding the Warhorse).

Nice advantage over GTA IV... I bought a room in Armadillo for saving purposes. Renting rooms is a rip-off. You pay the rent. Get to do a save and it is up for rent again (won't be using that feature again in a hurry).

It is. There are 3 levels of dead eye, although the first seems good enough to me.

Another crazy thing: rode into Armadillo to stock up when I hear a woman screaming for help and a man yelling 'LAUGH AT ME, WILL YA? FUCKING WHORE!' I head over to see the guy straddling the woman shouting in her face as she screams 'HELP HELP!' and just as I realise what's happening and pull my pistol out, the sumbitch knifes the woman repeatedly, spits on her and walks off. So I shoots 'im in the back of the noggin. Cue John saying 'You shouldn't treat wimmin that way!'