Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

HUT FAIL.

No Red Dead Redemption for me this weekend.

Going to go and have a little cry now.

aww no! Has anyone got their Hut copies? My postie hasn't been yet so I dunno if mine's coming.

I'm genuinely having trouble working out who is who, and I can't read the text either. Maybe my eyes are fucked, I'm about 8 feet away from a 42" plasma. I also can't see enemies when they're far away - they appear as indistinct brown blobs on the brown horizon.

Yeah! Why is everything so brown? EVERYBODY knows cowboys actually dressed like this:

marty-cowboy-hat3.jpg

sunset.gif

:unsure:

Figured what out anyway? That the PS3 hardware is less capable in various important ways than the 360? They can stick their theoretical max FLOPS where the sun doesn't shine; the only way people are getting comparable performance is by investing vastly more development time relative to the 360 and targetting the PS3 as the lowest common denominator. It's a pain in the arse to develop for and it's absurd that Sony are still pulling this crap several generations in, when they barely got away with it on PS2.

What's the deal with your stats in the game? Some guy shouted me for help in the wilderness, and when I got near him the fucker pulled me off my horse and rode off! Yet when I shot him in the back and knocked him back off, I lost honour.

Similarly, I sat down at a random camp while some guy told stories. When I stood up, one of them started shooting at me, so I killed him, and lost honour again.

I didn't fire the first shot or seemingly do anything wrong in either case.

:unsure:

Sat down and had a good few hours playthrough last night. It's epic on every scale! The world is simply stunning came out of one story mission exiting a canyon in the dead of night. The moon in full view, coyotes crying out, starry sky across the wastelands and the hills in the distance :unsure: Never played anything so beautiful at setting the scene. Also when the sun goes down and the red sky hits just :( and more :omg:

I just didn't get the horse controls at first felt a bit wooden but after playing the game for awhile you start to appreciate just how well suited it all is, the control schemes works perfectly once it all clicks.

Only had 1 bug so far where the game froze in Armadillo. Some guy was sat on an invisible chair and only way to get anything to happen was a restart.

What's the deal with your stats in the game? Some guy shouted me for help in the wilderness, and when I got near him the fucker pulled me off my horse and rode off! Yet when I shot him in the back and knocked him back off, I lost honour.

Similarly, I sat down at a random camp while some guy told stories. When I stood up, one of them started shooting at me, so I killed him, and lost honour again.

I didn't fire the first shot or seemingly do anything wrong in either case.

:(

This happened to me too. But I accidentally climbed on his horse. :unsure:

so I guess this really is just GTA: wild west, after all?

and also Im a bit worried because I wanna get this today but I dont have my xbox online and I heard that there was some pretty annoying bug in the game that r* just patched, will it be that bad?

Not at all. It seems a bit similar when you first start out and you get used to the controls but everything is just so much more....slow paced. Generally better than GTA.

and also Im a bit worried because I wanna get this today but I dont have my xbox online and I heard that there was some pretty annoying bug in the game that r* just patched, will it be that bad?

No, there are LOTS of similarities but it's pretty different. The setting alone means the gameplay is very different - large open expanses rather than tight crowded cities. It's not just GTA with horses. It feels completely different to GTA in tone, even if the technology and mission structures are kind of similar.

It's closer to something like Oblivion in how immersive and explorable the gameworld is.

Edit: my fantastic description of this brilliant game would be "think Oblivion or Fallout 3, in a realistic Wild West setting, with the RPG elements stripped out but the exploration, immersion, and pace left in, and a mission-structure that is like GTA but better thanks to the checkpoints and generally superior design. Oh and it's the prettiest open world game ever"

If that makes sense :unsure:

oh yeah and does the honor/ fame thing effect the game world in any meaningful way, whats the point of it?

and is the map really bigger the san andreas?

Yes. Town folk, NPC's etc act differently towards you. The only thing they don't effect is story missions.

Allow me to bump this:

Alright, the xbox 360 gamertag for Red Dead Redemption is:

rllmukRDR

Everyone send that gamertag a friend request, and I'll accept it a.s.a.p.

Still a good 25 spots left!

So had a few good hours play last night again and i am about 14% through now cant wait to get home again, from last nights play really enjoyed using lasso for different people and animals although i thought it took a while to get used to. Also really enjoyed get chased by the law all over town then hiding in a room upstaires in a building waiting on them to burst threw the door one by one and then shooting them close up through the bottom of their head then riding into the sunset until next time!

and is the map really bigger the san andreas?

I am wondering this also - I looked at a video which showed the map, and it didn't look that big relative to where the player was.

I can't believe it is bigger than SA from looking at it.