Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

I'm struggling with the actual horse riding - I.e. Riding fast whilst keeping stamina. Tips anyone?

Also, with duels - I've won all but one. Yet I still don't actually know what I'm doing.

Tap A to get to desired speed. Thenn hold A to keep that speed and keep stamina.

Jesus fucking Christ, it's like some of you half wits have never played a video game before. Try using your brains huh.

Fuck me, 20 years of the same old shit and you still don't know what you're doing.

On topic, it's a mixture of the best and worst thing I've ever played. Herding cows, breaking horses, and cantering between checkpoints. Fuck off. (yes I know I can camp-fire and skip the traveling)

Awesome gunfights, cinematic shit, emergent game play and such, more more more.

I'm really, really impressed that they've managed to reduce pop up so much, given the nature of the landscape's wide open plains. I was expecting houses to pop up whole, cacti to spring up one by one as you rode towards them, but I haven't encountered anything like that in a few hours of playing. It's not perfect, obviously, but it's really minimal. It usually ruins open world games for me, so to see them significantly refine the streamed loading here pleases me lots.

I'm struggling with the actual horse riding - I.e. Riding fast whilst keeping stamina. Tips anyone?

Also, with duels - I've won all but one. Yet I still don't actually know what I'm doing.

I spoke to someone else who was similarly confused with the horse riding. They'd mistook the horse's ability to sprint for the horse's top speed which isn't the case. Here's what I told him so they knew how it worked...

Starting from not moving at all, a double tap of A will get you walking/trotting (holding down the second tap to maintain that speed). Another double tap ups your speed again then another ups it even more. A succession of taps will quickly take you to full speed (full speed should not be mistaken for stamina sprinting which is just that, sprinting). When you get to a speed you like, just hold down the A button, pumping it only if you want a quick burst of sprint speed at the expense of stamina. Constantly sprinting by hammering A is not what you're supposed to be doing.

What I usually do when setting off into the wilderness is just vigorously pump the A button from stand still until I'm going full pelt and holding A from there. If I want to reduce my speed, whilst still holding A, I tap the right bumper with each tap decreasing my speed even further. And remember that the horses in the game will run faster when following a road/trail.

To maintain a race gallop (as opposed to just the holding-down-the-button gallop), get up to the top gait and then tap the run button occasionally. You want it to be slow and separated enough so that your stamina bar isn't dropping markedly faster than it regenerates, but often enough so that the horse doesn't drop back down to regular gallop. Try something like one tap every three gallop cycles (though I suspect it depends on the horsey).

EDIT: What Sie said is all true, but there's a pretty noticeable difference in speed between gallop and the low sprint (what I called race gallop). It's not difficult to keep it going indefinitely either, plus I'd argue it's a bit easier on the thumb than holding the button down permanently for several minutes at a time.

I'm really, really impressed that they've managed to reduce pop up so much, given the nature of the landscape's wide open plains. I was expecting houses to pop up whole, cacti to spring up one by one as you rode towards them, but I haven't encountered anything like that in a few hours of playing. It's not perfect, obviously, but it's really minimal. It usually ruins open world games for me, so to see them significantly refine the streamed loading here pleases me lots.

Absolutely. When I reached the cliff that overlooks the cactus desert where the town of Armadillo is, it looked like a typical matte painting and I concluded I'd reached the edge of the map. Then I realised I was looking at traversable landscape and said aloud "fucking hell!"

They really didn't thought. I'm seeing pop-up all over the shop.

It's not too bad, but if it was any other developer people would be threatening genocide.

Nonsense. You must be playing a different game or your 360 is going the way of RROD or you were too lazy to install the game.

I think the tutorials for the game are not only poor - but some are confusing.

I'll try that horses thing - it's only for the racing missions which are the most disappointing missions I've played.

Who says it's a mixture of the best and worst game they've ever played? Fuck me, 20+ years of this shit and you can't make your mind up. What kind of opinion is that? Tune in son.

Hey computer game fans, I'm struggling to understand how a computer game works.

Do you have any tips?

I eagerly await Meerman, McSpeed and Dimahoo moaning about how the cart physics aren't as good as Forza 3's.

I've only done one duel. But the tutorial stuff flashed on and off the screen so quick, I've no real idea what I'm doing. I sort of just went with what I vaguely remember from Red Dead Revolver, pulling on the left stick to draw, and painting targets. What do the two bars to the left of the screen indicate? And can I just paint one target (say, on the guy's gun hand) and let rip?

I'm sure someone, maybe Sloth, could help me out.

They really didn't thought. I'm seeing pop-up all over the shop.

It's not too bad, but if it was any other developer people would be threatening genocide.

Bits of pop up here and there, yeah. But nowhere near as bad as in the likes of Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fable or pretty much every other open world game ever made. They've done a better job than most developers do on that front.

Yo Gerbik, I had to install it because the second time I booted it up I was tripping through the scenery within 2 minutes, and had to reboot.

And whoever the mug is saying I should tune in should take a step back and think about what he's doing. Pushing a joystick left and right to tame a horse isn't next gen son. That shit wouldn't have passed for entertainment in the 80's.

Buy a clue yeah.

Does sound like whatever console you are playing on is about to die. Been smooth as butter for me.

I'm not sure what you expected for "horse breaking mechanics". I'm glad it's a question of balancing the analogue sticks and not some button tapping QTE.

Breaking horses for courses, but I'm loving this. One of the most atmospheric games I've ever had the pleasure to play.

Does sound like whatever console you are playing on is about to die. Been smooth as butter for me.

Same here. I am installing now though, purely to lose the noise from my drive.

Starting to get into this a lot more, although having it played this game for a good 14 hours in the past 38 hours probably says enough already :(

It's amazing how many things keep popping up. I've been trying to get to a mission for almost 2 hours now, but I keep meeting strangers and stuff. Even got horse-jacked as some fellow asked for a ride. He got a bullet through the head after he pulled me off.

Another highlight: I just came off a shift of nightwatch when I saw 5 cowboys riding into MacFarlane Ranch, firing their guns in the air. One of them had I women tied to his horse and was dragging her across the ground. I followed them, aimed and went into Deadeye to shoot the rope, then shot the cowboys. The women paid me handsomely for it.

I later took a coach to the mountains. As the driver refused to take me where I wanted to, I lasso'd him off. Inspired by the act before, I climbed on my horse, still holding the rope and dragged him through some cacti. "Honor -100" :D

By the way, does anyone know how the dueling works? I won about three now, but only because I aim and mash the right trigger as soon as I can. I read you can do something with the right stick as well though. And what's with the two meters on the lower right of the screen?

Also, who's up for some multiplayer gang matches? :)

Hey guys, I'd love to teach you how to conduct your hobby. Luckily for me, in-between understating basic game mechanics and reading instructions, I have a wife to have sex with.

Thankfully after many years I know how these things work so I don't have to waste valuable fucking time stumbling around a virtual world trying to figure out how to make my horse work.

x x x

Yo Big Gus, I didn't really expect anything from it to be honest. Though I'd rather a 30 second cut scene than what you get. For me it's gaming for gamings sake.

Just so people know, I love this game. It's the only thing that's held my attention since MW2 (multiplayer)

If people can't work out gallop/press A they should not play the game.

Saying that I've never used Deadeye yet...ahem.

Luckily for you, maybe. Not so lucky for your wife. For her sake I hope she's having sex with other people.

She's great!

Yo Gerbik, I had to install it because the second time I booted it up I was tripping through the scenery within 2 minutes, and had to reboot.

Sounds like your console is on the way out then. Any pop-up is minimal and barely noticeable, and for this kind of open world game that is very impressive. It's also very smooth, solid framerate and with an unbelievable draw-distance. I have no reason to assume you're lying or trolling about seeing all kinds of pop-up on your version and that's why I said that there must be a reason for that as it certainly isn't the game. If running the game from the HDD didn't improve matters then be warned that your console is probably going to RROD sooner rather than later.

However there is no need for this:

Jesus fucking Christ, it's like some of you half wits have never played a video game before. Try using your brains huh.

Fuck me, 20 years of the same old shit and you still don't know what you're doing.

Hey computer game fans, I'm struggling to understand how a computer game works.

Do you have any tips?

I eagerly await Meerman, McSpeed and Dimahoo moaning about how the cart physics aren't as good as Forza 3's.

And whoever the mug is saying I should tune in should take a step back and think about what he's doing. Pushing a joystick left and right to tame a horse isn't next gen son. That shit wouldn't have passed for entertainment in the 80's.

Buy a clue yeah.

Hey guys, I'd love to teach you how to conduct your hobby. Luckily for me, in-between understating basic game mechanics and reading instructions, I have a wife to have sex with.

Thankfully after many years I know how these things work so I don't have to waste valuable fucking time stumbling around a virtual world trying to figure out how to make my horse work.

x x x

This isn't gamefaqs, no need to act like a frustrated emo teenager in your posts.