Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Ok, to temper the praise a bit - things I wish this game had:

- A 1st person view. A static one like Zelda would do, just so that I can look at the pretties

- One button press to access the map, without that harsh sound effect

- Compass points (N, E, S, W) for the onscreen mini map

- A health bar

- A more intuitive menu system generally/better info on current possessions. Having to press Start to see the time is bad enough, but to see how much money you've got you have to go deep into the menu (unless I'm missing something)

- And bizarrely, I wish it had a bit less going on when out in the wilds. It's a bit too busy to feel properly real, with horses, people, and other animals zooming past you every few seconds. It needs a few moments of proper solitude, a hint of Shadow of the Colossus perhaps

But that's about all I can think of. Otherwise it's pure crack.

Except cougars.

"Hey look I bet that's worth a bit."

*shoot twice with winchester repeater*.

"Huh it's still comiOHFUCKITKILLEDMYHORSE!"

Poor Charlie the Wonder Horse... :)

My Clopper went down to some particularly fierce wolves earlier. :D

Still skinned his ass. :(

:(:)

I just won one of the herb gathering challenges. It was really, really close. As I stood there gloating, the herbalist said "well done, friend, you sure are ahhhh AHHHH AHHHHHHH!!!!!"

He said that because he was standing on his campfire and his leg caught fire, then the rest of him, and he died screaming before I had time to do anything other than stare at him in shock.

Also...I do love the way things can escalate and get out of control in these games:

I encountered a random mission-giver in the wilderness, but bumped her with my horse, so she would no longer give me a mission. Bugger. Time for lasso practice then. But, a cowboy I hadn't seen having a piss behind a cactus (stupidly) shouted "I'm gonna fetch me a lawman!". I dead-eyed the back of his head, just as two men drove by in a stage coach. They'd clocked me too, and I had to chase them down as well, killing them just as I came round a rocky outcrop....into a party of four horsemen. This story actually ends up with me wiping out all life in the galaxy to cover up my initial hog-tying.

I've got a new RDR game now though...how many people can I barge into fires! :D

Right, multiplayer is officially rubbish now.

The only proper thing to do in free-for-all is raid the Gang Hideouts, of which there are only about 6. Gang Matches are ruined by both random game AND map selecting. We were in a group with forumites just now, and I retried FIVE times after we played the same Hold Your Own match on the same map for several times. I just didn't want to select something else!

The auto-aim makes it a kill-frenzy, too. I just reached level 15 though, meaning I can join Expert Gang Matches without aiming assist. Let's see how that works.

Can you drag people along with the lasso?

If so, wouldn't it be fun to drag someone onto the train tracks...

I was going to go to bed, but I may have to boot the game up again.

Yup, you can.

Actually, as I was chasing a train on my horse, some man on a cliff challenged me to a bird shooting contest. I accepted and won, then lasso'd him and fell of the cliff (a rather deep one too). I kind of feel sorry for him.

Right, multiplayer is officially rubbish now.

The only proper thing to do in free-for-all is raid the Gang Hideouts, of which there are only about 6. Gang Matches are ruined by both random game AND map selecting. We were in a group with forumites just now, and I retried FIVE times after we played the same Hold Your Own match on the same map for several times. I just didn't want to select something else!

The auto-aim makes it a kill-frenzy, too. I just reached level 15 though, meaning I can join Expert Gang Matches without aiming assist. Let's see how that works.

It's a real shame that there's only 6 - 7 hideouts in freeroam, with a world that size you'd think they'd give you more to do but I guess there are the challenges that you can do which you unlock via ranking up. Also, sorry for not being able to chat to you earlier as I was in party chat with some folk. Enjoyed those games but as you said it didn't you let change map or gametype though I think there's a skip ? These are all things Rockstar can fix though with updates and new content so here's hoping they are working on it, I hope.

Arriving in Mexico is fucking amazing, riding along the river with that song playing is my favourite part of the game yet. A great pay off after that fucking raft mission, I twice managed to walk off into the water when we were coming in to shore :(. Also got a Poncho :) .

The only thing that is annoying me in this game is the weapon select menu on LB. A hotkey system on the dpad or something would be much easier to use in combat.

- A more intuitive menu system generally/better info on current possessions. Having to press Start to see the time is bad enough, but to see how much money you've got you have to go deep into the menu (unless I'm missing something)

Your money's shown next to the clock, isn't it?

Davros, allow me to fix two of those issues immediately - the mini-map has a faint little arrow permanently pointing North and your money is there at the top of the start menu, next to the time/day. :(

EDIT: Rootin-tootin goshdarnit.

I solved the mystery of the

serial killer in the mountains

. Nothing too heavy in that spoiler, just some of the random early stranger missions in Armadillo.

When I rescued the last guy and got the mission complete and honour bonus he limped off and a cougar lept on him and mauled him. I obviously shot it and took it's fangs and pelt then looted his corpse.

Gutted for him. :(

I didn't see the cougar :)

Ok, to temper the praise a bit - things I wish this game had:

- A 1st person view. A static one like Zelda would do, just so that I can look at the pretties

- One button press to access the map, without that harsh sound effect

- Compass points (N, E, S, W) for the onscreen mini map

- A health bar

- And bizarrely, I wish it had a bit less going on when out in the wilds. It's a bit too busy to feel properly real, with horses, people, and other animals zooming past you every few seconds. It needs a few moments of proper solitude, a hint of Shadow of the Colossus perhaps

But that's about all I can think of. Otherwise it's pure crack.

I like not having a health bar... it makes me take cover and worry about my health more.

Davros, allow me to fix two of those issues immediately - the mini-map has a faint little arrow permanently pointing North and your money is there at the top of the start menu, next to the time/day. :)

EDIT: Rootin-tootin goshdarnit.

D'oh! Thanks all who pointed out my stupidity and blindness. :(

I like not having a health bar... it makes me take cover and worry about my health more.

Well maybe I should do more of that. It tends to make me not know how close I am to death, and therefore die more.

D'oh! Thanks all who pointed out my stupidity and blindness. :(

Well maybe I should do more of that. It tends to make me not know how close I am to death, and therefore die more.

I basically hide in cover and take out bad guys one at a time. Only breaking into Dead-eye if I am pinned down. Although I did let out a little scream of excitement the 1st time I shot a lamp and set two guys on fire. One of them tried to run away, fell into a barrel of TNT and blew himself and two more bad guys to smithereens :)

The chatter that goes on throughout the game is pretty good to. A lot does get repeated, but I did love listening to the exchanges between Irish and Marsten. I need to do some more hunting. So tomorrow I take a break from the main plot and start hunting Wabbits (and everything else).

Done a fair bit now in SP. Still not very good at gambling; I managed to get up to 900 chips in one game of poker, but then lost most of them in subsequent games. Should've quit while I was ahead! Still, money hasn't been too much of an issue, and has at least allowed me to buy a shotty and upgrade my repeater carbine to a winchester. Annoyingly, it looks as though a following mission with the sherriff gave me one anyway.

Whoever said five finger fillet is hard above $10 is rubbish though. I won with a bet of 80. It just involves more buttons.

As for liars dice, that seems like a game of luck as much as anything. And I'm just crap at horseshoes.

Also, to echo someone on a previous page, exactly how does duelling work? I've won a few, and shot the gun out of a guys hand once, but still don't fully understand it. Is it possible to win via a single well placed shot rather than a flurry of 6?

I lost all my money at Poker.

So just like real life then. :(

I have a 93% win rate a poker just wish that was like real life! Plus that's not using the suit that you can cheat with either.

Been playing this all evening well apart from watching champions league final and cant really put it down there is just so much to in and i really need to got to bed, also just recently played the mine mission really enjoyed it!

Duelling: http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Dueling

Wait until it says "Draw". Immediately press and hold the left trigger. This will begin dead eye mode automatically. Your reticule will appear below the other gunman's feet. Use the right stick to move the reticule up to the area of the body you wish to shoot.

You should notice that the reticule strobes, the pieces move from far away from the center of the reticule to near the center of it; the closer to the center, the better!

When the aiming reticule is over the part of the body you wish to shoot wait until its pieces are very close to the center (of the reticule area) and then press the right trigger to paint the target.

The closer they are to the center, the higher your score. The higher your score, the larger an area is filled in the vertical bar to the right. If the other gunman's first line in the bar is higher than yours, you will lose. So, click when the reticule pieces are as close as possible.

=================================================

So essentially, the Left Bar is your opponent, the right bar is you. You need to get your bar higher to win the duel and get your shots away.

Duelling: http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Dueling

Wait until it says "Draw". Immediately press and hold the left trigger. This will begin dead eye mode automatically. Your reticule will appear below the other gunman's feet. Use the right stick to move the reticule up to the area of the body you wish to shoot.

You should notice that the reticule strobes, the pieces move from far away from the center of the reticule to near the center of it; the closer to the center, the better!

When the aiming reticule is over the part of the body you wish to shoot wait until its pieces are very close to the center (of the reticule area) and then press the right trigger to paint the target.

The closer they are to the center, the higher your score. The higher your score, the larger an area is filled in the vertical bar to the right. If the other gunman's first line in the bar is higher than yours, you will lose. So, click when the reticule pieces are as close as possible.

=================================================

So essentially, the Left Bar is your opponent, the right bar is you. You need to get your bar higher to win the duel and get your shots away.

I wish the poker had no limit sit and go cash games (i know...its not pokerstars.com) so it would really make it worth it. Playing for half hour to win $50 seems a bit meaningless really when i could just go and capture a bounty for $240 in ten minutes

I bought the PS3 version today and downloaded the war horse. Problem is, I need to return my Ps3 tomorrow - it's a slim but the fan is VERY noisy.

Question is: will the war horse be available to me once I get the new ps3?

I wish the poker had no limit sit and go cash games (i know...its not pokerstars.com) so it would really make it worth it. Playing for half hour to win $50 seems a bit meaningless really when i could just go and capture a bounty for $240 in ten minutes

It is there for a change of pace to the main game. It isn't about winning the money for me, it is about sitting and chilling with a coffee/beer/whisky and playing a bit of poker. Looking forward to sitting down at a full table and fleecing everyone.

Well been playing pretty much all day - something like 11 hours straight - and I have to agree with general opinion: it's fantastic. It feels like I playing a western. I find myself slowing my horse and walking into town purposefully. Fast travel isn't considered and unlike most games I don't even attempt to get from A to B at maximum speed as doing so might mean I miss the opportunity to kill some Armadillos. The atmosphere blows most games away.

Best so far is how my own approach to the game has become morally grey. In games I'm the good guy: help everyone regardless of money or time. In RDR I'm finding myself turning the cold shoulder to the innocent victims. Partly it's because there aren't honestly all that many varieties of random world events and partly it's because they happen so often that one journey can sometimes seem like endless events. But for once I don't resent this over saturation of events. I ignore them not because I dislike them but because the number of them and the fact they can so easily get out of hand and end up with me wanted, horseless or dead. They make the frontier feel dangerous.

Some other than random thoughts/moments:

- Horse-kind must hate me. I've been through more companions then a glue factory. Be it falling off cliffs or riding into the middle of bandit hideouts and dismounting they just don't last.

- Stumbled on a great middle of no-where fist fight by hanged man rock. I was just exploring and heard some voices. No mini-map icon popped up so after about 5 minutes of searching I found two guys having a good old fist fight. As I arrived one of the guys finally won, the other dropping dead. So I shot the winner and looted both of them so reward my hard work tracking them down.

- Nothing better than being chased on horse back by guys with fire bottles: flaming horse riders is a sight I won't forget for a while

- I'm addicted to the treasure hunting. Just spent about an hour looking for a place in Mexico. Perfect way to absorb the game.

On heading into Mexico...

The music after you first arrive and ride off is just perfection. Its tone leads you to reflect on the first parts of the adventure and what lies ahead

Arriving in Mexico is fucking amazing, riding along the river with that song playing is my favourite part of the game yet. A great pay off after that fucking raft mission, I twice managed to walk off into the water when we were coming in to shore :(.

^Arriving in Mexico talk in that spoiler.

I just did this part also and yeah,

the Jose Gonzalez song certainly gave the whole thing a proper having a moment here quality. Really unexpected to hear a vocal line after however-many-hours of pseudo-Morricone. I think it worked. I couldn't help but move on at nothing faster than a leisurely trot and climb the ridge, taking in the view beside the big weather-worn rock formation. Tingly.

Plus Irish took the fookin' horse I wanted, dirty bastard.

I'm about three hours in and so far the weather has been fine.

I ride out to do a stranger's quest and, after finding the necessary evidence, the sky starts bruising. A fork of lightning strikes the ground and my horse rears up in terror. Rain falls in sheets.

I make my way back to Armadillo, hitch my horse, and hole up at the local saloon. Everyone's just hanging around, avoiding the storm and shooting the breeze. I step out through the saloon doors and, standing there sheltered, under cover, look out down the main street. The rain keeps falling, the storm shows no signs of abating.

Awesome game.

It is there for a change of pace to the main game. It isn't about winning the money for me, it is about sitting and chilling with a coffee/beer/whisky and playing a bit of poker. Looking forward to sitting down at a full table and fleecing everyone.

Yeah but you must admit that possibly staking your entire savings on one hand would make for more excitement and also having the chance to clear out an NCP's life savings would be nice :(

I'm about three hours in and so far the weather has been fine.

I ride out to do a stranger's quest and, after finding the necessary evidence, the sky starts bruising. A fork of lightning strikes the ground and my horse rears up in terror. Rain falls in sheets.

I make my way back to Armadillo, hitch my horse, and hole up at the local saloon. Everyone's just hanging around, avoiding the storm and shooting the breeze. I step out through the saloon doors and, standing there sheltered, under cover, look out down the main street. The rain keeps falling, the storm shows no signs of abating.

Awesome game.

Moments like these are the main force behind this game. A definite 10/10 in terms of atmosphere. The audiovisual presentation of the game is great, save for some rough textures and the occasional framedrop though.