Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

Yeah but you must admit that possibly staking your entire savings on one hand would make for more excitement and also having the chance to clear out an NCP's life savings would be nice :(

If you lost you could murder them all in cold blood. Very good shout. :)

Hang on? Why would someone be risking a car parks life savings? There aren't enough cars to warrant a car park yet.

Re: duelling.

I just read that wiki a few minutes ago myself, yeah.

It seems odd though, since it would suggest that you can't one shot your opponents.

Oh, and I got my first treasure map from a chinaman I rescued from bandits. Looks like using them is going to be fucking nails. I know I'm looking for three rocks behind a tree with a noose hanging from it, near some cactii. Not much to go on. :(

Moments like these are the main force behind this game. A definite 10/10 in terms of atmosphere. The audiovisual presentation of the game is great, save for some rough textures and the occasional framedrop though.

I can't drag myself away from it, I don't even care for Multiplayer yet.

If you lost you could murder them all in cold blood. Very good shout. :)

Hang on? Why would someone be risking a car parks life savings? There aren't enough cars to warrant a car park yet.

That parking ticket i got last week must be playing on my mind :(

On another note, how do the bandit masks work? I bought one and havent used it yet. I presume you dont get a bounty for commiting a crime whilst wearing it?

It is there for a change of pace to the main game. It isn't about winning the money for me, it is about sitting and chilling with a coffee/beer/whisky and playing a bit of poker. Looking forward to sitting down at a full table and fleecing everyone.

I agree with above especially playing poker, blackjack but i really like that dice game cant mind the proper name. The one game i cant get a hang of is the horseshoe game i keep getting hammered in that! Anybody else had any better luck?

Oh, and I got my first treasure map from a chinaman I rescued from bandits. Looks like using them is going to be fucking nails. I know I'm looking for three rocks behind a tree with a noose hanging from it, near some cactii. Not much to go on. :(

Once you get started it's extremely addictive. Studding every detail of the sketches on the map. Trying to delve into your brain so remember if you've been there or scanning the main map for an area where it could be. When I get up the first thing I'm doing is more treasure hunting.

I can't drag myself away from it, I don't even care for Multiplayer yet.

Multiplayer is overrated anyway!

On another note, how do the bandit masks work? I bought one and havent used it yet. I presume you dont get a bounty for commiting a crime whilst wearing it?

Would also like to know that above

Once you get started it's extremely addictive. Studding every detail of the sketches on the map. Trying to delve into your brain so remember if you've been there or scanning the main map for an area where it could be. When I get up the first thing I'm doing is more treasure hunting.

I have not even really tried treasure hunting yet, although i did find a gold bar and got noticed it telling me something about a tresure hunting suit when doing a mission with seth.

An amazing game. I've spent most of the night just hunting shit. I've found me a snake and a lil' songbird.

The news papers also give some clues -

scary goings on in some place called tumbleweed which is meant to be haunted. Can't wait to see whats there at night.

Also went to Mecarano and found some camp...

with stones laid out like a weird tree star thing. Also noticed the fires were out during the day, but lit at night - but there was nobody there.

You just wonder at whats out there. I bet theres some really hidden things. And some of the vistas just blow you away.

Not so impressed with MP though. First time in ages i've thought that.

The mask allows you do whatever you want without altering your Fame amount and your Hero/Desperado swing. You'll still get bounties placed on your head though, I believe. Also, if you're wearing it when an eye-witness spots you (and subsequently reports you), your Wanted level will drop off faster if you remove it.

I agree with above especially playing poker, blackjack but i really like that dice game cant mind the proper name. The one game i cant get a hang of is the horseshoe game i keep getting hammered in that! Anybody else had any better luck?

I've had good success by lining the peg up just to the left of centre in Aim View, then swinging back not-quite-all-way (on the power gauge), then pushing up all the way up on the stick and timing for the button press to hit just ahead of the gauge's sweet spot.

You can do the first five of the Treasure Hunts, but the sixth will be locked off until you hit Meh-hee-ko. (Don't worry, that's not a spoiler.)

I have not even really tried treasure hunting yet, although i did find a gold bar and got noticed it telling me something about a tresure hunting suit when doing a mission with seth.

That's not a treasure-hunting suit as such, but a gang outfit (the Treasure Hunter Gang).

- One button press to access the map, without that harsh sound effect

Omitting this is utter stupidity. Seriously. Rockstar surely know better? Very, very poor.

- Compass points (N, E, S, W) for the onscreen mini map

There's north? (the arrow)

- A health bar

Surely there's a health bar; in red around the mini map?

- A more intuitive menu system generally/better info on current possessions. Having to press Start to see the time is bad enough, but to see how much money you've got you have to go deep into the menu (unless I'm missing something)

Yep, terrible. It's like the last 10 years never happened,

- And bizarrely, I wish it had a bit less going on when out in the wilds. It's a bit too busy to feel properly real, with horses, people, and other animals zooming past you every few seconds. It needs a few moments of proper solitude, a hint of Shadow of the Colossus perhaps

Well Rockstar wanted you to phone a friend every two minutes, what do you expect? :(

They don't get "pacing" for the normal player. It's all "OMG MUST BE A MOVIE EXPERIENCE", yet they fail to understand that the low times only extentuate the highs. Poor understanding yet again.

Multiplayer is overrated anyway!

Well, I like a good multiplayer experience, both competitive and relaxing (like Test Drive Unlimited, which is a rare example). With Gang Matches being the first, Free-for-all is that latter, but both are flawed.

With gang matches it should be possible to select modes and stages yourself, but it's free-for-all that could use a lot more body. Either messing about with a group on horses isn't that interesting, and after raiding each Gang Hideout a few times the fun wears off that as well. I also reckon the entire world seems less lively in Free-for-all, with most active buildings being closed and less people in towns.

The singleplayer mode is in a total different league, obviously. Hence I really think this game could benefit from an MMO approach of multiplayer, the way Test Drive Unlimited did it!

They don't get "pacing" for the normal player. It's all "OMG MUST BE A MOVIE EXPERIENCE", yet they fail to understand that the low times only extentuate the highs. Poor understanding yet again.

In terms of movie experience: I do think some cut scenes could benefit from a more cinematic approach of camerawork. I've had multiple missions with cut-scenes featuring long overview shots, where it could have been a lot more interesting if they did some proper close-ups and variation of views. It's a bit stale now, really.

I'm about three hours in and so far the weather has been fine.

I ride out to do a stranger's quest and, after finding the necessary evidence, the sky starts bruising. A fork of lightning strikes the ground and my horse rears up in terror. Rain falls in sheets.

I make my way back to Armadillo, hitch my horse, and hole up at the local saloon. Everyone's just hanging around, avoiding the storm and shooting the breeze. I step out through the saloon doors and, standing there sheltered, under cover, look out down the main street. The rain keeps falling, the storm shows no signs of abating.

Awesome game.

So; it's raining. A lot. Wow!!!

Indeed.

That makes me sound like I think the poster has poor understanding! I'm hated enough on the forum enough, easy! :(

Okay so Im just one piece short of making an outfit.. It says to get the piece I'm missing I need to search Thieves Landing, Feels like Ive searched every inch of the place but can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regarding the health bar...

Left of map is the horse stamina

Right of map is the Dead Eye meter.

Am I the only one who is made up not to have health bar in my face all the time? I actually think it is a shame we have an on-screen map too. I would rather the Metro 2033 approach as an option. I have to pull out my map and a compass to see where I am. I have to mark places on there myself, etc.

However that said... :(

I always listen to Philip French on westerns and he likes this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/...tion-game-panel

That's quite touching. It's interesting that, of the three reviews - the two other by people familiar with games - the one by the septuagenerian who's never played a videogame in his life is by far the best. It must be nice to approach the subject free from memories of GTA mechanics and comparisons of various menu systems.

Regarding the health bar...

Left of map is the horse stamina

Right of map is the Dead Eye meter.

Am I the only one who is made up not to have health bar in my face all the time?

I also like not having a health bar on screen, sure you know when your getting shot and your health drops low and the screen changes to red anyway!