Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

I actually think it is a shame we have an on-screen map too. I would rather the Metro 2033 approach as an option. I have to pull out my map and a compass to see where I am. I have to mark places on there myself, etc.

I wouldn't mind that if the map was a quick press away, especially as the onscreen map isn't much use anyway (and that North arrow is tiny! No wonder I didn't clock it).

One thing I still wish every game like this had is a map notation system like in Ultima Underworld 2, or Phantom Hourglass. That said, I haven't been lost or unsure about where to go yet. That said, I do wish it wouldn't hold my hand so much. I'd rather have to manually mark where a quest character is on the map and make a note than have the game put a marker down for me.

Anyway, loved the barn sequence. The missus was on the edge of her seat.

Well, I've been moving the story along a bit. Still early stages though.

Unfortunately, there is a big logic gap or lack of info.

I don't know why I'm helping

West Dickens

, I don't know why I'm helping

Seth

and I don't know why I'm helping

Irish

I know that I'm helping them in order to help me, of course. But, why does a former criminal and utterly badass Marston need the help of three crazy people for his current quest? What do they have to offer that Marston can't get for himself or from the sheriff, as a token of his appreciation for my helping him out?

Buffling and kind of disappointing.

Well, I've been moving the story along a bit. Still early stages though.

Unfortunately, there is a big logic gap or lack of info.

I don't know why I'm helping

West Dickens

, I don't know why I'm helping

Seth

and I don't know why I'm helping

Irish

I know that I'm helping them in order to help me, of course. But, why does a former criminal and utterly badass Marston need the help of three crazy people for his current quest? What do they have to offer that Marston can't get for himself or from the sheriff, as a token of his appreciation for my helping him out?

Buffling and kind of disappointing.

It is discussed by the mission givers. It's just all buried in with the random crap they chatting about and making you do.

West Dickens talks about how he can get you inside the fort. A little later he starts to mention the Trojan horse

It is discussed by the mission givers. It's just all buried in with the random crap they chatting about and making you do.

West Dickens talks about how he can get you inside the fort. A little later he starts to mention the Trojan horse

I know, but that's my point.

Why can

Dickens

get you inside? Why can't Marston do it himself? Why can't he devise a plan with a more appropriate person, like a sheriff or another lawman?

If the plan is to get an

armoured carriage

inside, why can't Marston buy or steal one and fix it himself?

Why does he need the help of 3 irrelevant people?

In Nico's case the motives and use of each character were clearly pronanounced. In RDR, at this early point of the story, they are not.

It's quite silly and kinda ruins the immersion factor (at this point in the story.)

Really surprised at the love this is getting. The presentation is great and the environments are amazing, but the combat...really? It's so shoddy. Gun battles are just frantic and unsatisfying in my opinion. The controls are way fiddly (changing weapons has caused me to lose many challenges so far) but far worse than any of this is how buggy it is. I've lost count of the amount of invisible stuff. On one challenge I had to round up two criminals. Hogtied them both but when I went to pick one up he was invisible but it wouldn't let me do anything else so I had to restart. Pfft.

Because Marston doesn't know where to get this stuff or who to talk to. He's still kind of new to the land.

Besides, he's going to attack a massively armoured fort. It's not as if people would queue up to help him.

I know, but that's my point.

Why can

Dickens

get you inside? Why can't Marston do it himself? Why can't he devise a plan with a more appropriate person, like a sheriff or another lawman?

If the plan is to get an

armoured carriage

inside, why can't Marston buy or steal one and fix it himself?

Why does he need the help of 3 irrelevant people?

In Nico's case the motives and use of each character were clearly pronanounced. In RDR, at this early point of the story, they are not.

It's quite silly and kinda ruins the immersion factor (at this point in the story.)

About as ridiculous as the government sending one man to sort out Bill rather than a small army I suppose :(

Also, given that his first plan was to walk up to the fort and ask him to give up I wouldn't trust any plan Marston comes up with.

Fab game, no "bad" word to say about it...just a few minor "oh, I wish they'd done it this way" about a few things...

The poker is very well implemented, but I sorely want to be able to play in the middle of a bustling saloon, and be able to grab my gun without having to specifically leave the poker game first. I want to be able to instantly blow someone away if I think they're cheating, or just plain peeing me off.

People who challenge you to a duel: Is it really just going to be one respawning person per population centre? How many bloody times do I have to empty my gun into Clifton Leadbetter's face before he'll stop trying to make me famous and spitting on my shoe? The twat.

Maybe I'm just spending to olong in the same place, but the repetition in some of the side-stuff is already wearing a little thin.....Very, very dangerous job being a whore at the Armadillo saloon....one of them gets gutted outside every day since I stopped giving a shit....

But, on the major plus side, a man burst into flames while talking to me (as I mentioned before), and I'm still laughing at that :(

Just played this for a couple of hours. Really impressed so far.

The music, voice acting and general atmosphere are all excellent.

On the downside, the combat system seems a bit fiddly. I'm probably doing it wrong, but auto aim doesn't seem to work all of the time. Plus, trying to shoot things whilst mounted seems quite hard. My horse just ends up running off in a different direction as I'm trying to aim. However, all of this is probably due to me being a bit crap generally.

I think I'd have to agree that the random stuff crops up a bit too regularly. I have found if you take a gallop through the wilderness, it's a bit less busy. I think there needs to be areas where nothing happens, no matter how long you're there for. I took my horse way up north, galloped through a train tunnel, across a railway bridge, and onto a rocky outcrop, where I sat for a few minutes, admiring the view and the shimmering heat haze.

Then it was ruined by some daft woman being chased by coyotes.

I was hoping for something more like Just Cause 2, where you can go for ages without seeing a soul.

I don't see how anyone can dislike the shooting though. On Expert, it's hugely gratifying. There's plenty of opportunity to miss, but when you pull off those long distance headshots, it's brilliant. I think the scrappiness of the gunfights adds a nice flavour, seeing bullets zing off rocks and kicking up dust.

And thank god there's no health bar. It's really not needed.

Is there an easy way to exit tot he menu or restart the game? Been a few times where I've been in a mission and a bug has stopped me from moving, shooting or being able to do anything at all. Each time I've had to quit to the 360 dashboard and it's driving me nuts.

Still loving this, can't say I agree that it's too 'busy' when travelling. I love all these little events that happen and there's been many times where I've been travelling without anything happening. I think Rockstar got it just right. Combat's bloody great as well, just so meaty and satisfying especially when you lay into them with the shotguns.

I have far too much of a tendency to hogtie people and slit their thoat though, or when I've finished doing a stranger quest to then lasso them whilst riding my horse....

I'm not really reading this thread to avoid spoilers, but can I just say THANK FUCK Rockstar added the simple option to remove the camera auto-centre in the options. Now I can actually wander around the gorgeous gameworld, looking all around me, without wrestling with the camera like in GTAIV.

In general the controls feel more tightened up compared to GTAIV, though I spent half of my first night with the game playing poker to try to save up for the 'elegant suit'.

Here's my amazing story.

Driving a stagecoach during a mission (I won't say which one so as not to spoil it when you get there). I get set upon by mounted bad guys chucking molotovs at me. I switch to dead eye, shoot the molotov from a dudes hand, and watch as the flames spread across his body and the body of the horse he's riding. The guy falls off, his flaming corpse being dragged behind the manic burning horse, bouncing along the ground like a meaty firework. The on-fire horse, crazed from the flames, cuts across the road in front of me and barrels into one of my own horses, breaking both their necks with a sickening crunch. A third horse, rider included, tumbles over the pile of dying horses, contributing a third horse to the pile and sending the rider flying a good twelve feet in the air. I switch to Dead Eye again, headshot him as he pirouettes through the air, and laugh as his surprisingly bouncy body hits the dusty floor.

So yeah, buy this game.

Really surprised at the love this is getting. The presentation is great and the environments are amazing, but the combat...really? It's so shoddy. Gun battles are just frantic and unsatisfying in my opinion. The controls are way fiddly (changing weapons has caused me to lose many challenges so far) but far worse than any of this is how buggy it is. I've lost count of the amount of invisible stuff. On one challenge I had to round up two criminals. Hogtied them both but when I went to pick one up he was invisible but it wouldn't let me do anything else so I had to restart. Pfft.

Ding-ding, we have a wrong person. The shooting is wonderful. Tense, measured, and bolstered by the endlessly fun dead eye. The only issue I have is the cover doesn't always work properly, but that forces you to be extra-careful and think about every move you make. I'm not saying they did that on purpose, but not being able to run around Gears style forces you to take a more measured and careful approach.

Also, it's an openworld game, they have a measure of jank, it's part of the genre!

Ding-ding, we have a wrong person. The shooting is wonderful. Tense, measured, and bolstered by the endlessly fun dead eye. The only issue I have is the cover doesn't always work properly, but that forces you to be extra-careful and think about every move you make. I'm not saying they did that on purpose, but not being able to run around Gears style forces you to take a more measured and careful approach.

Is the combat challenging?

Is the combat challenging?

It can be tricky at times yeah though it never really feels frustrating, so far. You take as little damage as they do so you have to be very careful when approaching numerous enemies as if you are caught out, and don't have much dead eye, you're fucked.

Aggh. Think I may have stumbled on a bug that's gonna stop me from completing an outfit. It's one of the Mexican gangs, Reyes' Rebels, and scrap#6 is to be purchased from the General Store in Escalera. When I first got to Mexico, I remember buying the scrap before I knew about the gang. Then I went into my satchel and saw a 'Use' option for it, so I pressed that. Something might have happened, but it was late at night, I was tired and I don't recall now. Anyway, spent this afternoon roaming the mesas and tidying up challenges and outfit scraps. I noticed that I needed to buy a scrap from Escalera and, forgetting that I'd already bought one, mosied on over. The shopkeeper now won't sell me the scrap (says Not Available) in the store menu. The scrap box isn't ticked on the outfit list. I think I'm screwed. Sadness.

Don't know what I did that broke it (as a guess, it was the 'Use' thing), but the above is a public service announcement to avoid doing what I did.

OH. Yeah, a question:

The ambient challenges. With Mexico accessible, I've gotten Treasure Hunter up to Rank 9, Survivalist up to 7 and Sharpshooter up to 7. The higher tasks all require stuff in the last unlocked area, West Elizabeth. Buuuut, my Hunter challenge is still wallowing down at Rank 4. I need to shoot boar, but the only boar I see on the map are up in the not-yet-available third area. Is that right? Has anyone managed to find/shoot any boar prior to unlocking the North?