IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

OH. Yeah, a question:

The ambient challenges. With Mexico accessible, I've gotten Treasure Hunter up to Rank 9, Survivalist up to 7 and Sharpshooter up to 7. The higher tasks all require stuff in the last unlocked area, West Elizabeth. Buuuut, my Hunter challenge is still wallowing down at Rank 4. I need to shoot boar, but the only boar I see on the map are up in the not-yet-available third area. Is that right? Has anyone managed to find/shoot any boar prior to unlocking the North?

I haven't left the general area of Armadillo yet but I've already shot several boar. IIRC to the east of Miss Bonnies ranch, or maybe to the north of her ranch. So yeah, they're definitely in the starting area.

That's quite touching. It's interesting that, of the three reviews - the two other by people familiar with games - the one by the septuagenerian who's never played a videogame in his life is by far the best. It must be nice to approach the subject free from memories of GTA mechanics and comparisons of various menu systems.

By the same token, French's field of expertise has clearly framed his experience. While enjoying himself in his own New World, he just couldn't help but try to pinpoint every cinematic influence he could clock. He's not so different to us... But I also found it touching and genuinely affirming, and it may be the best because -- his talent aside -- it's written from the most interesting and unusual perspective of the three.

Ding-ding, we have a wrong person. The shooting is wonderful. Tense, measured, and bolstered by the endlessly fun dead eye. The only issue I have is the cover doesn't always work properly, but that forces you to be extra-careful and think about every move you make. I'm not saying they did that on purpose, but not being able to run around Gears style forces you to take a more measured and careful approach.

Also, it's an openworld game, they have a measure of jank, it's part of the genre!

It's not about being right or wrong, it's just my opinion. Your point about the cover system goes some way to clarifying my point on the combat. Using cover is an essential aspect of the combat and it just sucks. As for trying to shoot whilst on a horse or wagon, well it could be just me being rubbish but it's far too fiddly.

Not sure I understand your point about a 'measure of jank'?

Cheers Gerbik, sounds about right. Guess I'll go a-huntin' then.

EDIT: Ha, aw crap. I feel foolish. I was looking on the paper fold-out map for animal whereabouts, which shows boar in West Elizabeth. Just went to set a waypoint on the in-game map and, sure enough, there's a tusky-pig drawn on the area directly north of Bonnie's place.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's just my opinion. Your point about the cover system goes some way to clarifying my point on the combat. Using cover is an essential aspect of the combat and it just sucks. As for trying to shoot whilst on a horse or wagon, well it could be just me being rubbish but it's far too fiddly.

Not sure I understand your point about a 'measure of jank'?

Are you using free aim, or auto aim? The shooting is fine on free-aim. I've not had a problem with cover either. If you're patient, and line up targets, it should pose no problem at all. It's certainly not fiddly, as you say. Shooting on the move works as well.

Having auto-aim (on Casual and Normal targeting that is) is a crime in multiplayer though. It makes killfests of the deathmatches, with people just having to lock on, aim a bit higher at the head and hammer the right trigger.

I reached level 15 the other night though, meaning I can now do gang matches on Expert targeting level. Already switched to that in singleplayer, and once I'm used to shooting like that I'm going to give that a true. Figure it should make for a much more balanced experience.

Sorry if this been asked before - music on or off? Although it's superb, I'm finding it a bit omnipresent. I like getting lost in the wilderness with just the sound of wildlife. In Far Cry, turning it off was a no-brainer, but the music seems so good in this I don't want to miss out.

Is the combat challenging?

Yes, it's a good challenge, but I wouldn't say it was notably hard. Dead Eye is limited (and refills slowly) and you can turn off auto-aim and choose whether to use health packs or rely on regeneration. I've died plenty of times making mistakes, rushing in carelessly etc. Small groups of enemies are very easily dealt with thanks to dead eye, but you can easily get surrounded and overwhelmed if you're not careful. For my money, the difficulty level is about right. I assume it gets harder though, I'm not that far through the missions as I've been mucking about doing sidequests and exploring. It seems to be ramping up the difficulty slowly, so I imagine it would get quite difficult by the end.

Yeah - empty-c, definitely use free aim (expert). I found the general controls to be a bit awkward for the first couple of hours, it's the weighty feel of the euphoria engine causing things to feel sluggish at first. You quickly get used to, and then start to appreciate, the weight and heft of the movement and gunplay. The guns all feel wonderfully powerful, and the visual and audio feedback you gain from a clean hit (especially headshots) are superb.

The main problem with the cover system is trying to move around corners and moving from cover to cover quickly, it's not as snappy as Gears, but then it also doesn't place every single thing your character can do on a single button and rely on context sensitive prompts all over the place. It all feels and plays in a fairly unique way, partly due to the engine and partly due to the weapons (single shot rifles with small clip sizes, but only a couple of shots to drop an enemy). It's refreshing. The worst thing is getting surrounded on your horse without deadeye. That's a bit of a pisser.

If there was a PlayStation 'Move' Patch for this - I would've bought the PS3 version, but couldn't see anything on that. So got the 360 one.

btw... I've not long started it but...

am I dead?

maybe been watching too much Ashes to Ashes lately.

Anyone else been having a lot of crashes, after an afternoon playing NHL10 with no trouble I fired up RDR, it's frozen twice, crashed to the dashboard once and one time seemed to be okay, but none of the menus or maps showed when I hit Start or Back. Trying deleting it off the hard drive and reinstalling, but it's a bit worrying.

OH. Yeah, a question:

The ambient challenges. With Mexico accessible, I've gotten Treasure Hunter up to Rank 9, Survivalist up to 7 and Sharpshooter up to 7. The higher tasks all require stuff in the last unlocked area, West Elizabeth. Buuuut, my Hunter challenge is still wallowing down at Rank 4. I need to shoot boar, but the only boar I see on the map are up in the not-yet-available third area. Is that right? Has anyone managed to find/shoot any boar prior to unlocking the North?

try checking the map that comes folded in with the game. Shows you other "animal areas" the in-game map doesn't. There are only 2 boar hunting spots though. Get your bait out and hang back from where you drop it, it's almost like a cabellas game in that patience plays big rewards. If you fire and miss you spook everything in the harder hunting areas. Killing them dead in 1 shot strangely doesn't spook the surrounding wildlife.

I went for some bears earlier.

Don't fuck with an angry grizzly. Brutal.

It's a bit like tiger woods golf. Use the "LT aiming view" before you hurl any iron with the right stick and trigger. You need to line it up first then it's just about a clean release.

Not very good at it myself though, had 1 ringer up now in a few attempts.

You just need to click release around the middle mark, not too early or late. Maybe use the first throw to guage how much power is needed. I always lose those, apart from one time when I hooked it on top perfectly.

Do the animals always appear in their designated areas then? Some like deer and rabbits seem random. I haven't got to Grizzlys yet, but Cougers out-of-nowhere really fucked me up near Fort Mercer while I was picking flowers...

Some more basic animals are all over the map, the more specific species are generaly in the areas you'll find them on the map (the 'hard copy' that comes with the game). The bears are only in one place, the tall tree's wood in the far north east of the map.

One of the problems of being married and having a family is that you can't get to play on your 360 and tear up the wild west because they are hogging the damn console PLAYING VIVA PINANTA 2 FFS!

Time to be selfish :)

How does the duelling work? I must have missed something. As far as I can see, a crosshair appears, you move it to the person and click shoot loads of times, and nothing happens apart from a bar goes up a bit and sometimes you don't die. Confuse :)

How does the duelling work? I must have missed something. As far as I can see, a crosshair appears, you move it to the person and click shoot loads of times, and nothing happens apart from a bar goes up a bit and sometimes you don't die. Confuse :)

There's two bars in the bottom right corner of the screen. The objective is to fill your bar more than your opponent can fill his. So...

Drawn your gun with LT and press RT/RB to paint parts of your opponent during the slow mo. You'll notice the reticule pulses red to white. You want to be painting your shots when the reticule is white as this fills your bar up more per shot (for being more accurate). Where you shoot your opponent also affects how much your bar fills up (such as head shots etc). Once the dead eye timer expires, the duel will end in a hail of bullets with the person with the most bar filled being the victor. Note that you won't actually be firing the bullets yourself, just painting where you want them to go and you will fire automatically once the timer ends (the timer being dead eye). Also, if you shoot your opponents gun out his hand, the duel will instantly end.

Fuuuuuuuck I love this game!!!!

Me too. It's going to be a total fucknut trying to work out whether this or Mass Effect 2 is my top game this year. This is completely amazing though, so different and 'whole', in the same way I found ME2 to be. A completely absorbing and believable environment with a really cool storyline, bags of style and polish, and the feeling they really 'got it right'. Almost as if they made the game just for you :)

Also, thanks Sie, thats a great explanation.

Like one critic stated about this game: "Goodbye Ocarina of Time." It's just amazing how this game keeps on giving in terms of overall experience. Every time I consider to stop playing, something pop us (or three) and I get going again. Staggering.