Red Dead Redemption - Never coming to PC

Wickedkitten

I'm absolutely loving this game.

Dead-Eye Rank 2 is a piece of shit though - it's actually a downgrade! I've accidently shot so many random people. Cost me a small fortune in bounty payments!

I had that problem too, but then I discovered that once you've activated Dead Eye you can de-activate it by pressing down on the right stick again.

Woah, there's weapon melees?

I just used my sawn-off on some regular nothing criminal at absolute point-blank range. The camera briefly cut away from over-the-shoulder to show Marston spinning the guy around, sticking the gun in the small of his back and pulling the trigger. :big-eyes:

Ok, so yeah. I just got across to Mexico via a fun

raft sequence

. As I begin my long trek to my first mission,

Jose Gonzalez

starts to spill through my speakers in what must be one of the best examples of incidental music in a game, ever. The perfect length to last the trip to the first mission, setting the perfect atmosphere of a lonely soldier in a new land. As I gallop through the landscape under the full moon I'm in no doubt that it's one of the most soul-tingling moments I've ever encountered in a game. Just amazing.

I had that problem too, but then I discovered that once you've activated Dead Eye you can de-activate it by pressing down on the right stick again.

You can also just let go of the left trigger.

Might be worth spoilering more of that Morrius.

Arriving in Mexico stuff (obviously):

Part of the reason that I too found that whole moment quite tingly was sheerly through how unexpected it was. I think it'd be nice for others to arrive in Mexico without actually anticipating and waiting for this 'incidental music that was mentioned on rllmuk' to kick in.

Aah don't be too mean, he only asked a question and said he wouldn't want the whole thing to be shooting. Which it isn't, so it's not a judgement on the game.

Yeah but he does exactly the same thing with every damn 'big' release. Goes into a thread and regurgitates his pre-purchase anxiety all over it, before forming a solid yet ill-informed opinion on the game and then extrapolating that to a general critique of a genre or games in general. Without ever playing it.

Now there's a horrible sentence. Anyway it is a much less fun activity than playing RDR. This game is immense.

The treasure hunting is pretty good, especially some of the more oblique illustrations.

Finally tracked down the one in rio, dismounted my horse to scale the cliff-face and collect, and on the way back to my horse via a footpath rounded a corner to be confronted with a pack of at least 6 jet black wolves. All just stood about 10 metres away snarling. That was a real shit yer pants moment - glad I'd procured the sawn-off.

On the way south of the river now. :)

Does anyone know if livestock herding ever becomes a permanent side-mission that you can activate via map icon?

Ok, after several hours am starting to find problems...

- Collecting things, almost given up with it now since you can randomly be mauled by cougars/wolves at any given time and lose everything you collected since your last save. Too pointless and I've not seen any worthwhile benefits from collecting herbs and animals.

- Switching between weapons is too tricky when you need to do it instantly like when attacking someone and then hogtie them. Maybe there is a method to this? I usually cap them, run up to them lasso but then they break free so I cap them again then panic and get shot. Would be nice if you could instantly swap with one button.

- Close up combat in general is too clumsy when using guns. Suppose I could switch to fists/knife but again it's too tricky to do it on the fly. You should be able to assign fists/knife/lasso to one button and firearms to another.

- Several hours (and 16 missions) in and no real sign of a main story yet. Just seem to have come in and done a few odd jobs for people. Brief mention about the hero's past, hopefully that comes into it soon.

Apart from those things though, looking like no1 or 2 for GOTY so far.

I usually cap them, run up to them lasso but then they break free so I cap them again then panic and get shot. Would be nice if you could instantly swap with one button.

I don't think they break free quite so quick, once you've lassoed them. After hitting right trigger to lasso them, are you keeping hold of the left trigger, or letting go? If so, keep left trigger held down, to keep the lasso tight, getting close enough to hogtie them.

Woah, there's weapon melees?

I just used my sawn-off on some regular nothing criminal at absolute point-blank range. The camera briefly cut away from over-the-shoulder to show Marston spinning the guy around, sticking the gun in the small of his back and pulling the trigger. :big-eyes:

There seems to be one for every gun, the animation with the pistol to the back of the head is sublime. (only works with a pistol, not a revolver).

I became interested in this only a week or so before it came out, not looking at any pre-release material or journalism because I felt totally disinterested.

I've had my fair share of bugs (I passed Bonnie's first horse race mission just because her horse got stuck in scenery), but it's been a really nice surprise. And I'm taking my sweet time with it too. It doesn't feel like the sort of game to rush through.

I became interested in this only a week or so before it came out, not looking at any pre-release material or journalism because I felt totally disinterested.

I've had my fair share of bugs (I passed Bonnie's first horse race mission just because her horse got stuck in scenery), but it's been a really nice surprise. And I'm taking my sweet time with it too. It doesn't feel like the sort of game to rush through.

You don't need to win that horse race anyway. When I did it, Bonnie beat me. Mission complete. :)

Ok, so yeah. I just got across to Mexico via a fun

raft sequence

. As I begin my long trek to my first mission,

Jose Gonzalez

starts to spill through my speakers in what must be one of the best examples of incidental music in a game, ever. The perfect length to last the trip to the first mission, setting the perfect atmosphere of a lonely soldier in a new land. As I gallop through the landscape under the full moon I'm in no doubt that it's one of the most soul-tingling moments I've ever encountered in a game. Just amazing.

Just experienced this a while ago and was about to write what you wrote. :)

Simply mind blowing. Instant classic moment, unbelievable.

And Mexico... Oh my God...

Just experienced this a while ago and was about to write what you wrote. :)

Simply mind blowing. Instant classic moment, unbelievable.

And Mexico... Oh my God...

I didn't get any music when entering Mexico :omg:

Incidentally, loving the draw distance. Just wish I could go into a first person mode to really soak it in.

ojpjih.jpg

otkcg3.jpg

I just had an actual hunting accident moment. Looking for deer by moonlight, spotted one in the distance. Drew and fired but slightly missed and managed to kill some guy way off beyond it. Outran the witnessing posse and paid off the $40 bounty but I felt terrible about it :)

So far I love pretty much everything about this game.

The graphics are awesome, the music is ace and both the main quests and sidequests are varied and unpredictable, you just never know what's going to happen.

For instance I had a sidequest ruined earlier tonight, not because I fucked it up per se, but because the questgiver was killed by a wolf while I was busy chasing down the guys that were trying to rob her. With random coincidences like that, it never gets boring.

And I just tamed myself an amazing looking horse in Mexico :)

Unless I've missed something the one thing I'd like is some sort of indication of the weapon you've got equipped. Maybe I wouldn't stroll into firefights trying to shoot people with a lasso from a distance then. And the radial menu isn't a perfect implementation.

Why they couldn't have put the left/right dpad buttons as weapon switchers and then put the camera shoulder switch on a different button instead I don't know.