IGNORED

The Official EvE thread!

pulsemyne

Absolutely mental what has just happened. Basically if you though the scam stories were awesome just wait until you read this. Basically the most powerfully alliance(and one that's largely hated by most of eve) called BOB (band of brothers) has died a stunning death at the hands of one very pissed off directer of BOB. Just one man has crippled the entire alliance. This is what is classed really as meta gaming done against the very kings of meta gaming (BOB loved to meta game, cripple peoples forums, teamspeak etc).

Anyway a rather annoyed Directer of one of BOB mains corporations decided to leave and switch his alliance to Goonswarm (another bunch of shits). Anyway as part of his joining GS he said he would give them full access to their forums thus allowing GS to download the entire forum and read all the confidential stuff about BOB i.e their defences, just how rich they are etc. Upon reading through some of the post GS discovered that BOB had a fatal weakness (think the exhaust port on the deathstar as a metaphor). Basically any director with a BOB corporation could have access to every corps assets and also close down the entire alliance if they so wished. After a while the Goons realised that effectively they had BOB by the balls big style. Having got the pissed off directors login details (he provided them this to prove who he was) they decided that rather then rob BOB blind why not just disband BOB and thus royally screw over ever single BOB corp. So as of last night BOB is disbanded.

"Big deal" you may think "they'll just reform" yes and they will in time. You see every alliance in eve has possibly hundreds of what are called POS (basically little stations where people can be safe and build stuff and mine moons from etc) these are vital structures as they also house Titans and most importantly Jump bridges (basically short cuts to other systems in eve ). Now because the Goons closed the BOB alliance this means that very single one of POS's has become a corporation only pos and not an alliance pos so if someone logs their big fat titan in at a pos they will be immediately kicked outside the pos shields and become a very very nice target, indeed any ships that logs in at a pos and isn't a member of that pos's corporation will be kicked out. So basically every single POS BOB had has been turned against them. None of them now are able to make stuff either. Also when an alliance lays claim to space they get a sovereignty level, the more poses you have the higher the level and etc, now because of this the entire sov level of BOB is gone basically because BOB is gone.

So in short BOB as an allaince is dead (the name can never be used again either), BOB cannot log on any titan at all, BOB have no space left at all (the fastest death of an alliance in eve history), no of the jump bridges work for at least another month, no system are jammed so anyone can bring their capital ships into any BOB area and smash shit out of them, ad as a parting gift a load of BOB's capital ships were given to GS along with a load of money.

So one man, a lack of security and over confidence killed the oldest and one of the most powerful alliances in eve and the entire Eve universe will never be the same again!

EDIT The more things change the more they stay the same, BOB are now called IT alliance and have come roaring back taking the space belonging to an allaince called pandemic legion. However everyone hates PL and so noones that bothered.

Y'see, I'm not sure whether or not this particular story undermines the game as a whole. I know there have been other scams that have been huge, but they seem to have been legitimate scams. This is just someone who's really pissed off walking away from his "company" and pulling the plug as he goes.

Does the game have the political infrastructure to prevent this? Can the closing of an alliance be dependent upon multiple signatures etc? Y'know, corporate guidelines and governance.

Because if it doesn't, then it can't cope with the universe it has created and whilst that leads to interesting anecdotes like this, it undermines it as a social experiment.

The big empty blob in the centre is empire space, basically its high security space which no alliance is allowed to control. Looking at the map its mad to see just how much space was lost all thanks to one man. Most alliances actually have multiple safe guards in place to stop such a thing happening but BOB seemed to make a major muck up in their structure and this is the result.

I suspect Executive Outcomes' hand in this, they seem to have benefitted from it.

Which alliance are you in, pulsemyne? What's it like being in a small alliance (if you know), are they getting spanked all the time? I know nothing about Eve by the way, apologies if that is a stupid question.

Y'see, I'm not sure whether or not this particular story undermines the game as a whole. I know there have been other scams that have been huge, but they seem to have been legitimate scams. This is just someone who's really pissed off walking away from his "company" and pulling the plug as he goes.

There have been plenty of Deep Undercover operations that involved people creating alts as spies in other corporations, and working their way up to the position of second in command before properly betraying them. EVE facilitates and even rewards this behaviour.

Also Goonswarm are the SomethingAwful guys, Band of Brothers are the corp that had a bunch of the games developers as its members and were part of a controversy over supplying them with blueprints and resources. They were also hit hard in the trillion ISK economic collapse that occurred when a POS bug was fixed.

What's the big empty bit in the middle?

Empire, or High Security Space, with lots of NPC police.

This all sounds awesome.

Is it too late to get into this game?

Never too late to join eve but beware as its not for the faint of heart (eve learning curve can only be described as fucking vertical). But once you get the game and how it works you can be hooked.

Anyway I am a part of the red blob at the top of the map called "morsus mihi". We are one of the major alliances in eve, and as much as I dislike saying this, having been helping goonswarm to defend their space against the onslaught of BOB and another alliance called Against All Authorities (AAA for short).

As you'd expect, the Goonswarm thread on Something Awful is ever so slightly smug right now. Still, of all the posts, I liked this one the most:

"This is really fucking awkward because I want to like...tell people about this shit but I can't exactly call up my friends and go "HOLY SHIT WE WON A SPACE WAR" because what the fuck."

:(

Those goons who think they have won are just being a tad over the top. BOB will be back just under another name and with a lot less space. Its swings and roundabouts allinaces die and new one crop up in their place. However never has an alliance died so quickly :(

Absolutely mental what has just happened. Basically if you though the scam stories were awesome just wait until you read this. Basically the most powerfully alliance(and one that's largely hated by most of eve) called BOB (band of brothers) has died a stunning death at the hands of one very pissed off directer of BOB. Just one man has crippled the entire alliance. This is what is classed really as meta gaming done against the very kings of meta gaming (BOB loved to meta game, cripple peoples forums, teamspeak etc).

Anyway a rather annoyed Directer of one of BOB mains corporations decided to leave and switch his alliance to Goonswarm (another bunch of shits). Anyway as part of his joining GS he said he would give them full access to their forums thus allowing GS to download the entire forum and read all the confidential stuff about BOB i.e their defences, just how rich they are etc. Upon reading through some of the post GS discovered that BOB had a fatal weakness (think the exhaust port on the deathstar as a metaphor). Basically any director with a BOB corporation could have access to every corps assets and also close down the entire alliance if they so wished. After a while the Goons realised that effectively they had BOB by the balls big style. Having got the pissed off directors login details (he provided them this to prove who he was) they decided that rather then rob BOB blind why not just disband BOB and thus royally screw over ever single BOB corp. So as of last night BOB is disbanded.

"Big deal" you may think "they'll just reform" yes and they will in time. You see every alliance in eve has possibly hundreds of what are called POS (basically little stations where people can be safe and build stuff and mine moons from etc) these are vital structures as they also house Titans and most importantly Jump bridges (basically short cuts to other systems in eve ). Now because the Goons closed the BOB alliance this means that very single one of POS's has become a corporation only pos and not an alliance pos so if someone logs their big fat titan in at a pos they will be immediately kicked outside the pos shields and become a very very nice target, indeed any ships that logs in at a pos and isn't a member of that pos's corporation will be kicked out. So basically every single POS BOB had has been turned against them. None of them now are able to make stuff either. Also when an alliance lays claim to space they get a sovereignty level, the more poses you have the higher the level and etc, now because of this the entire sov level of BOB is gone basically because BOB is gone.

So in short BOB as an allaince is dead (the name can never be used again either), BOB cannot log on any titan at all, BOB have no space left at all (the fastest death of an alliance in eve history), no of the jump bridges work for at least another month, no system are jammed so anyone can bring their capital ships into any BOB area and smash shit out of them, ad as a parting gift a load of BOB's capital ships were given to GS along with a load of money.

So one man, a lack of security and over confidence killed the oldest and one of the most powerful alliances in eve and the entire Eve universe will never be the same again!

Thank you for explaining it in basics for us.

Hmm I often wondered if someone blogged about the stuff that goes. Really would be a pain though as there is always something going on in the world of eve, backstabbing betrayal, ships blowing up, people scamming each other etc. Would be hard to keep track of it all.

Hmm I often wondered if someone blogged about the stuff that goes. Really would be a pain though as there is always something going on in the world of eve, backstabbing betrayal, ships blowing up, people scamming each other etc.

Best get cracking, then - and less "basically", while you're at it. :lol::(

Best get cracking, then - and less "basically", while you're at it. ;);)

:(

Its because I'm welsh. we say basically a lot down here for some reason. No way would I blog all this stuff, its hard enough just keeping one character going well let alone keep tracks of all the politics in eve. Just ask Gorf king about me and eve. :lol:

If there's a way to mitigate against this (and I've no idea, because alliances were all done on paper back when I played properly, nothing official in-game), then BoB were properly daft here. It's a bit cheap if "this is how it is", however.

Bonkers, really. The corporations that originally founded BoB were around when I played back in 2003. I expect they'll sort it out somehow, it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Well, apparently it's because BoB were extremely lax with their structure merely to allow it to be possible for one defector to bring down the whole thing. Goonswarm didn't expect to be able to do this, they thought they'd just get away with as much as this one guy could take with him, but when they were going through the BoB forums they realised they could take the whole thing down.

Yep and having logged on tonight I can say this.....its a complete and utter free for all down in BOB's backyard of Delve. There have been multiple "baby" titans and mother ships killed (we call them babies because they are being made and aren't flyable yet). While what the goons did was a bit shitty its lead to the biggest upheaval in eve history. The next few days are going to be very interesting.

Incidently eve-radio.com has a blow by blow account of all that's going on and the battles raging down in delve.

Typical that these things have to happen on the very day that I have to work late and am too exhausted to bother undocking.

Unless anyone knows different this is probably the biggest single socio-political event in the whole of gaming history. I'm still kind of annoyed it happened because it's (temporarily) deprived us of some epic fighting but while BoB are no doubt on the ropes I'm sure they're ducking and diving like the champions they are. They're still there, the pilots are no doubt extremely cross and now they have no infrastructure to defend they can switch to full-on attack mode.

Fucking Goons though, what a bunch of bastards.