Old School Rave and Jungle

Ben

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Good stuff there cubik. Found an old Quadrophonia CDS at the local tip. Their eponymous track is a classic, I rather liked the instrumental version of b-side "The Man with the Masterplan" too. However, I gave their album another spin and it's really rather poor. Everything on there sounds like these two tracks, only worse.

Classic breakbeats on this one (and the same noise as Indo Tribe's Owl if I'm not mistaken)

The Second Wave remix is pretty good too - notice the switch from breakbeat to techno between 1990-1992.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.discogs.com/Shy-FX-Deja-Vu/release/183154

Some classic Jungle tunage on this Shy FX mix/compilation cd. Digital DJ's be warned though - a couple of the tracks fade out early and they all overlap each other to a certain degree at the start/end. Not a big deal for home listening though. Couple of highlights:

Never heard these early Jungle/Rave tracks from 1993

And a little bit of Oh Gosh! from 1995

On 10/04/2019 at 21:28, acidbearboy said:

Good stuff there cubik. Found an old Quadrophonia CDS at the local tip. Their eponymous track is a classic, I rather liked the instrumental version of b-side "The Man with the Masterplan" too. However, I gave their album another spin and it's really rather poor. Everything on there sounds like these two tracks, only worse.

Classic breakbeats on this one (and the same noise as Indo Tribe's Owl if I'm not mistaken)

The Second Wave remix is pretty good too - notice the switch from breakbeat to techno between 1990-1992.

Never heard this before but the Quadrophonia 12" has been added to my discogs want list.

That's one thing I love about the old school rave era, there's plenty 12" singles worth taking a punt on for a quid or two on discogs.

• 1 month later...

Was listening to this LTJ Bukem classic and saw a link in the comments to a Pitchfork article on the loon sample featured. That article name-dropped a track called Dream On Tangerine from 1992 that I didn't know - it's pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So excited about this....

one of my favs from back in the day

pete cannons is in lockdown and decides to remix it using all the old kit, Atari st, akai sampler etc

and creates probably the best tune of all time.....

Few more from the archives:

Quality heads down bleep house from New York (also released on XL Recordings in the UK).

Frankie Bones & Lenny Dee AKA Looney Tunes - Inject the Beat 1990

The Criminal Minds - Joyrider (Badman vs. Babylon) Hardcore/Jungle 1993

• 2 months later...