Old School Rave and Jungle

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Some coincidence, I was djing with Coco Bryce last night and he played that. I had it in the bag as well, it’s always in there for jungle sets. Early enough that you can squeeze it in to a hardcore set too. 

15 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Is it me or is old school 90's techno and rave what the yutes these days are loving? 

Because of Art is a good example. 

90s everything is what the yutes are loving these days. Grunge influences are everywhere in the charts, for example.

I have a feeling some sort of 90s electronic-influenced music is going to become more popular this decade, not a revival but something different with a 90s flavour. This will be made by people who probably weren't born in the 90s but got to hear second-hand stories from their parents about raving and all that. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2022 at 07:44, Mr Monday said:

Sad news.  Stu was influential in the early house and rave scenes.

Oh man, just seen this. Influential is an understatement. I got onto the whole House thing due to listening to his Bus Dis radio show on Piccadilly Key 103 on Sundays in 86. I used to tape Bus Dis (a Hip Hop hour) and would sometimes catch the first 10 minutes or so of his following music hour, don't think he'd called it the House hour that early but it was House that he played, stuff from Adonis and other Chicago acts etc. I quickly jumped from Hip Hop to House as I preferred what I was hearing on his nascent House hour.

I would tape that house Hour from 86-87 up to around 92, he played anything and everything that was relevant. Often I'd find myself out at a club or warehouse hearing Stu was on the DJ list and being happier he was on over the big name priority advertised DJs.

Gutted.

I only found out about Stu Allan's death, last week.

He was one of the main reasons why I first bought decks.

He was easily the most talented of the DJs on the harder Rave tip back in the day and I loved his Visa 'ardcore tracks.
His mixing had a level of musicality that literally no one else in the Hardcore scene was capable of.

Met him once and he was a gregarious, no BS character. Characteristics that the club/promotions scene lack to a degree.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 23:07, FuntimeDave said:

Watched the documentary on Netflix tonight - United Nation 

Basically the story of One Nation and Terry Turbo 

Spent most of it trying to see if I was on any of the film clips ........

No great insights but nice to hear some of the stories

This is on Amazon now as some sort of free with adverts thing, although it didn’t have any as far as I could tell, maybe because I’m watching on Prime?

A great watch I thought - not my music at all but I was surprised to find I recognised around 90% of the people they interviewed, probably from the free party scene I guess.