Split Second

Capwn

Saying things like this all the more makes you part of the Top Gear gang around here. Too bad we're almost out of characters (Brad still has to go with Sabine Schmitz).

How about this though?

Top%20Gear%20S12E01_LP-560-4%20Dog_thumb.jpg

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

I'll be Noel Edmonds.

Gamespot video review

Multiplayer Power Plays video

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

I'll be Noel Edmonds.

By all means.

Tried on the very high on my quadcore ,W7 (32 bit), 4Gb ram, 8800GTX (512Mb) and it ran with some obvious slowdown at 1920 x 1280 - dropped back to a lower rez though and it was fine - looks really really lush now. No crashing though even when it was cranked up to full.

I also left vsync on but there was very little obvious tearing on High as it was (except in the movies which are just horrible for the v sync even with the option on )

reguarding custom soundtracks, what happened from the xbox to the 360? on the xbox you could just play the music as an in-game playlist, on GTA the radio station has your playlist and it works as the normal radio would, quite a few games did really well with it

then the 360 came along and suddenly you get the built in music player thing, you can either play your music... or not play your music. am i missing something, is there still a way to use custom soundtracks and it not ruin your experience of playing the game by the music continuing to play when you get out a car, during cutscenes and all sorts? it's the one thing that's got on my nerves more than a few times about the xbox, and why they'd do such a thing

;)

Good fun so far. But what is up with the stock music? It sounds really... dull and uninspiring. Here is me hoping for custom soundtrack patch/dlc.

personally think the music is great; fast drum and beats/electronica/orchestrated rock. Its really bassy and most certainly way better than using 'real' album music, which usually features pimpily punk rock and drudge.

I'm pretty sure when i've had my ipod plugged into my xbox that it stops playing my music during cutscenes etc...well it did on Ace Combat 6 at any rate.

I'm sure it only plays music when the game plays music too... you use the player from the guide menu and it picks tracks in a playlist like it would for the game iirc.

personally think the music is great; fast drum and beats/electronica/orchestrated rock. Its really bassy and most certainly way better than using 'real' album music, which usually features pimpily punk rock and drudge.

The music used is not necessarily bad, just bland. Probably because every racing game I have played over the past 10 years was filled to the rim with licensed music.

The music used is not necessarily bad, just bland. Probably because every racing game I have played over the past 10 years was filled to the rim with licensed music.

Just had a quick blast on this and completed the first few races. Am loving it so far, but i did really enjoy the demo. As to the music, when your blasting through a race and explosions are going off all around you, I think the music really adds to the game.

Have the 360 version by the way, and playing it with headphones.

Just wish I didnt have to visit the mother in law tonight, stupid birthdays ;)

that's one thing that I'm still disappointed with Burnout over; it used to have music that would change when you hit the boost to something faster and more energetic, but once EA added in their EA trax bollocks that had to go

I think the music and general atmos of the game is great, they've got the tone of American and OTT Sky reality shows perfectly but not filled it up with crap Linkin Park songs or people shouting 'dude' at each other all the time, like Codemasters do

reguarding custom soundtracks, what happened from the xbox to the 360? on the xbox you could just play the music as an in-game playlist, on GTA the radio station has your playlist and it works as the normal radio would, quite a few games did really well with it

then the 360 came along and suddenly you get the built in music player thing, you can either play your music... or not play your music. am i missing something, is there still a way to use custom soundtracks and it not ruin your experience of playing the game by the music continuing to play when you get out a car, during cutscenes and all sorts? it's the one thing that's got on my nerves more than a few times about the xbox, and why they'd do such a thing

I'm pretty sure that the way it works on the 360 is that you can have a 'custom' soundtrack in any game, by playing your music from the guide. However, for 'proper' custom soundtrack support, the developer needs to code their game to stop/start your music at appropriate times. Hence some games working better than others in this regard. For example, I played Ridge Racer 6 with the Ridge Racers and Rave/Rage Racer soundtracks running from the 360 hard drive, but they'd continue to play at times when the proper RR6 soundtrack would have ceased.

I'm sure that developers can still code real custom soundtracks to operate from within the game too if they wished, as with the original xbox, without you having to select your music from the guide. I'm not aware of any that have done this though, which is a shame as I loved 'proper' custom soundtrack support in original Xbox titles.

The music is growing on me. Why I was initially disappointed was because the first time I played Pure I was treated to Woman by Wolfmother. Now that is an excellent way to start an arcade-style racer.

Just finished Season 2, utterly enjoying it.

Yeah the music isnt great but it suits it well enough. I liked the music in Pure, just got me more into the action (i always found if i played to the pendulum song i would play better than playing any other song).

As df0 said, its just a bit bland. Some of its pretty good at times though.

Eh? It stops the tearing. Maybe its already on?

It appears to be something you cannot turn off and it's locked to 30fps max - even if I set "Low" it doesn't go past 30fps (according to Fraps).

Where the hell are the nice bargain copies of the PC version? - or indeed ANY which aren't £39.99 (no chance)! - at £20 I'd have this in a flash because on that first bonus race (a time trial with all the explosions timed to go off as you pass em) you could not - even for a moment - doubt the wow factor this game has.

The sound could be better - more rumble more bass more growl and less gear-whine but cranked-up on headphones it's OK (on speakers the surround effects are OTT and sound like your speakers are broken!! - need to tinker with that perhaps)

The overall feeling I get is "Sega Arcade Racer" tho and that's intended as a compliment...

I'm quite liking this. Far more than the demo at least. I've had a few races where I've wrecked a couple of cars a few corners from the flag and sneaked through for the win. And I'm finding the slightly sedate pace makes planning a powerplay much easier. Could be a grower.

nothing sedate once you start to get the faster cars around episode 4-5 onwards, gets quite rapid.

nothing sedate once you start to get the faster cars around episode 4-5 onwards, gets quite rapid.

Aye, I am finishing Season 5 now and cars are getting fast(er). And much more controllable too, I feel like I am in control instead of the other way around.

The more I play the more I wish there was a movie-making mode. How awesome would it be if this game had the movie making stuff Skate 3 has. Create your own action packed movie sequence and upload it onto youtube.

I'd pay good money for movie-making dlc :( Make it happen Blackrock :unsure:

Got stuck into the Survival online mode last-night; actually really enjoyed it. Makes a nice change from straight forward racing, basic premise with the one I was involved with was with 7 other players hurtling around this bowl, passing as many trucks as you can, whilst avoiding the red exploding barrels thus increasing your combo multiplier. If you hit a red barrel, the combo multiplier would end and you'd have to start again to build it up, with the winner of the contest being the one with the most points.

This game definitely needs replay/video making functionality though, would be great having these tools to put together some highlights.

The RDR hype machine means I ended up buying that today when I initially was going to get this. May need to yarr the pc version to get the want/need for this game out of my system! Whats the verdict for the online component, is it going to be far and away the best part of the game or are there plenty of thrills to be had in single player?