Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

Uzi

The easiest 'fix' is to turn your 8-button stick into a 6-button stick. Pop open the case and swap the connectors around for LB and RT. This will leave the two right-most buttons deaded. Not a great solution by any means when you consider the 'premium' status of the hardware, but a pretty reasonable option nevertheless.

Yeah fair enough Kloid. I will do that, but first I'm going to call Madcatz as they have a UK office and see if I can get a replacement sorted out. Having had a bit of a google it looks as though the LT/RT problem is a known issue so hopefully they will cough up. I'll post back in here with how I get on.

What, so, you don't use the third button along the bottom for roundhouse? How do you un-learn that?

No dude, you can rewire them around in whatever order you want

For ex

A X RB RT

B Y LB LT

I'm confused. :)

I was suggesting unscrewing the back of the stick and swapping the connectors for LB and RT.

Doh- to be fair I was in a SF lobby when I read that and the JUICE OF VICTORY was running through me

And I got the buttons wrong

Just bought myself some sanwa buttons; 6 of them, cause I don't have much money and I don't plan on using the two on the far right anyway, so I'll just use a couple of the cheap black ones I have in it just now. How long do they generally take to deliver?

Anyway, I'm excited at having really responsive buttons soon; I can get back to Bison and his lovely links :o

Ok, so... changing the art on an SE then. Does it just peel off? And if I use my rubbish drawing skills to desgin something (i.e. copy and paste and image), how should I best go about getting it on there? Is there a standard material I should print onto then just glue it down? I think someone said something about ink rubbing off sometimes.

I'm thinking about maybe making a black and white Grim Fandango stick; pretty much all black apart from Manny Calavera in a dinner jacket. The other option would be Rufus, maybe pink. Or a toxic dump themed stick, with lots of toxic dump stuff and colours like toxic greens and yellows and corroding, spilt barrels and overflow pipes and reddened river edges and backward baseball caps and spraypainted vandalism in spiky purple lettering saying "RAD!" and "FREAK OUT!".

the TE art is printed on some plasticky stuff which you lift off, then you print your art on paper and cover it with a layer of plexi glass. don't know about the SE method though, sorry.

i fiddled with some belle and ebastian artwork a while back for mine and wasn't happy with it. i think i might need to spraypaint my red trim and go with something a different colour than red. i hate having so many options.

• 2 weeks later...

People often give Madcatz a hard time, so in the interests of fairness I'm going to post the email I just sent to their UK customer support guys:

Mike, Chris,

Just a note to say many thanks for helping me out with this RMA and it being turned around so quickly.

The faulty stick was sent to you on Monday, today I have a brand new stick sitting in front of me.

Many thanks indeed to you both and all involved with the returns process at Madcatz UK.

Have a great weekend,

Jon

Yeah I've heard their customer service is pretty awesome. I love madcatz, it's justt been nice to have any good alternative to Hori- who had to step up their game after reusing the HRAP design for about 50 years now. Not that there is anything wrong with the HRAP thing, its lovely, it's just been nice to see Hori finally stepping up and doing crazy stuff like the VLX ultra super premium insane stick and making the whole world of sticks more exciting. Even though my TE had a fault with the RT LT inputs, it was a simple fix to sort out myself out of warranty.

I still think the Round 2 is the most gorgeous stick- the art on is so so much nicer than the OG TE and I'm struggling to put it up for sale even though I never use it and need the money!

I finally got the buttons replaced in my stick with those sanwa ones; green buttons with a yellow surround for the punches, and the inverse of that for kicks. I kept the two righmost buttons white cheapos.

I've not changed the artwork though, so it looks a bit rubbish. I chose those colours cos I wanted to make a collage of toxic dump images, or maybe draw a toxic dump. Or something something toxic dump. I've got know skills or time though. Or even a computer. Does anyone have any toxic dump images they'd care to share?

Maybe that adorable pic of super deformed Chun and Blanka and someone else running down a grassy hill with the other street fighters waving from the top would fit my colour scheme.

When you say 'toxic' Mr Cakes, is this the sort of thing you want:

68f0j7.jpg

Had a bit of play with this piece of wondrous MSPaint craftsmanship that I found on Google Images. Cut it, reduced it, cleaned it and tiled it all on a nice shade of goatse purple.

If it is to your taste, I have the above stick template and the necessary plain image (ie. without the holes showing) saved in Gimp at double the resolution and in a file-type that'll allow it to be then turned into whatever file-type your print-person would prefer.

I'm talking about this one:

It's adorable, but in the wrong ratio for the SE. :(

i did one with that exact artwork on it (edit: for the TE). drew in extra grass/sky. but i cant find it on my comp now. it may even be in this thread somewhere.i'll have a look and see if i still have the psd at work on monday.

but it would be quite easy to redo. although i'm not sure the resolution is really high enough... depends how picky you are.

Edit: Aha!

grassik0.jpg

the colour looks a bit messed up, i'll look for SE template and maybe try to do it better.

Christ Fuddle, that's beautiful. :wub:

Joffo. No. No no no. Awesome is not the correct descriptive. It's an affront to eyes. It's pound-shop christmas wrapping paper. No person in their right mind would subject their stick to such obscenely loud and vile art. That said, this is you we're talking about.

I have the high-res non-.jpgs if, you know, you want to be That Guy.

People often give Madcatz a hard time, so in the interests of fairness I'm going to post the email I just sent to their UK customer support guys:

My Fightstick developed a couple of duff buttons within a week or two of getting it - I sent an e-mail about it and got an initial response asking for clarification on the issue (which I'd outlined in detail in the initial e-mail..)

The then didn't respond to that - or the subsequent FIVE e-mails I sent asking what was going on and how I could get it fixed...

In the end I had to buy replacement parts for it (first buttons and then a month or two later the stick as well.) So I'm not impressed with them at all.. :angry:

Did you try ringing them? They were very helpful on the phone.

Yep - this was around the launch of SF4 though and it was almost impossible to get through. On the first occasion I managed it, I got put on hold, left for 5 mins and then disconnected. When I rang back again an hour later their whole phone system seemed to be off. A few days following that I tried again and was rudely told they weren't taking any more returns at the moment and I'd have to take it back to the shop and wait for them to get new stock in - which looked like it might be months off!

Really fucking helpful! I won't EVER be buying anything from them again!