Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

Uzi

Thought this would be worth plugging over here, as I assume some of you would be interested:

Nth Gen Interactive/Neo Empire Stick & Equipment Podcast!

It's been a long wait but we finally came up with something after our first recording failed. Some of our wordings are incorrect but I hope you guys can understand what were saying, but we'll make sure it's better next time! Btw NSFW!

Episode 1 Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7M3TFTJB

Episode 1 Notes:

Main Review: Madcatz TE Stick (Round 1) and Madcatz SE Stick

Special Mentions: Madcatz TvC Wii Stick, Hori Real Arcade Pro series.

Cast: LMH.Rayokarna, LMH.Zeroniiro & Momohime

Episode Links:

H RAP VX-SE: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Ama...5650339&sr=8-7

H RAP V3-SA Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Ama...5650339&sr=8-3

H RAP V3-SE: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90Ama...650339&sr=8-14

I'd actually come to this thread to ask if the Hori EX2's were any good. Everywhere seems to be out of stock of the TE sticks, so was wondering if the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX was a good alternative? I can getone of those for about £80. Is the standard version decent enough or would I be better going for an SA or SE? I'd be using it for both fighters and shooters.

Thanks for the replies guys, hoping to pick a stick up in the next month or so, probably going to get a basic HRAP EX with plans to mod it later as the EX-SE versions seem a bit hard t ocome buy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Could just be wear and tear. Replace the stick itself- ie the sanwa JLF inside with a new one, will cost around £20 but it'll feel brand new. I remember when I bought a second TE, using it made my realise how much wear and tear loosened up the sanwa stick in my OG TE.

Quick question guys, my TE stick is starting to feel a touch unresponive. I'm missing inputs more often (although I can still mash 360s like a BAWSE).

Is there a standard 'service' I can do on the stick? If there is, can someone link me up? Ta

You can get Sanwa sticks from Gremlin Solutions. I've order parts fro there before and they're great to deal with.

I think this is the stick you would need -

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/jlf-tp-8yt.htm

There is also the possibility of fitting a Seimitsu stick instead. They're meant to have less travel, a bit more "clicky"

The TE sticks take both sticks, just screw 'em in and attach the 5-pin cable.

You might want to do the buttons too, while you're at it Patron. When I use my original TE, the buttons feel much much less responsive than those on my less than a year old Round 2. I did the JLF exchange about a year ago on the original TE though, and it made it feel great, much much nicer action on it.

I saw it mentioned in the Mortal Kombat thread that the Street Fighter Fightpads are £11 in HMV... I assume because they're wireless the PS3 ones won't work easily on a mac/PC? Or will it work via it's own dongle thing?

I'd like to get PS3 over xbox cos I already have my stick. I'm basically looking for couple of pads for MAME. I'm pretty sure the Xbox ones are just plug n play... anyone know if they have the same failing LT/RT button issue that the Fightstick has in MAME OS X?

• 4 weeks later...

If you've swapped the button and the wires then it's a PCB problem. I had an intermittent issue with my original (white edges) 360 TE where it would lose a couple of buttons until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I spoke to Madcatz and they replaced it with a brand new stick. Might be worth giving them a call.

I would just ring them up and have a chat about it. There are only two or three guys who run CS for all of the Madcatz brands in the UK, so you're not dealing with a team of automatons. It's obvious that the problem is with a part you haven't replaced, so hopefully you'll get some joy.

You can but ask. If not then I think your options are basically to [a] delve deep into the arcane arts of PCB swapping, swap the RT button with the LB or LT button (depending which one you use least often - PPP or KKK) and live with it, or [c] switch to Blazblue.

I'm playing MvC3 exclusively at the moment, so I need it for Assist 2. I tried assigning another button but my brain can't cope.

From the above it seems possible that I didn't make my advice at number totally clear - what I meant was that you could open up the stick as you have and swap the wires leading to the LT button with the wires leading to the RT button. Then in-game remap LT to RT and vice versa (so you're now using LT for assist 2 but the LT wire is connected to RT's spot on your stick), and it will be the furthest right button that doesn't work rather than the third one along. Dead easy, cost free, and if you're only playing Marvel then the only time it's likely to hurt you is when sending rage mail.

If you did in fact understand and just didn't fancy doing that then feel free to ignore this message :-) Obviously if Madcatz are happy to replace it/fix it for you then this is totally unnecessary advice anyway.

I really want an arcade stick. But for some reason there aren't many around. And they are often pretty expensive. I seems weird that considering how fast they sell out everywhere, that

so few are for sale.

Amazon have this one for sale: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Real-Arcade/dp/B0041S9U8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311070680&sr=8-2

But it has Sanwa parts, which while good are mostly preferred for beat'em ups. I'll be using it for shm'ups so will probably need some Seimitsu parts to mod it. Would it still be worth it? Considering the extra cost of new parts and time spent modding? Or should keep looking for the pure Seimitsu version?

The Seimitsu stick I've used has a slightly shorter distance to travel before you're inputting a direction, but I can't say I have ever found it massively noticeable. If you're an enthusiast then you might want to swap a Seimitsu stick in anyway just to make sure, mind - who knows what that additional thousandth of a second of delay in engaging a direction is doing to your score? Still, if you've never used a stick before you can always just keep that in mind as a potential future upgrade - those sticks have quick disconnects, right? A little googling should be enough to make sure of that, and I'd recommend you do it - quick disconnects are a good thing, and you also want to make sure that the casing allows enough space for your stick of choice to fit in in place of the Sanwa one. Like I say, I think it does on that stick, but I don't want to mislead you and I haven't done research on it today.

I'm biased though because I think that stick you're looking at looks lovely and I secretly covet one.

My Seimitsu-using friend occasionally engages buttons by accident when using my TE stick because the Sanwas engage more easily, but again if you have no prior experience of either then I'm with Patronsaint in not thinking it'll make a massive difference. I don't have any trouble with them. It's more the stick itself that people are after when they rep for Seimitsu for shmups, as a general rule.

Thanks guys. Your all awesome!

The only stick I've used is the Dreamcast one. And then some weird ones that were always in the Danish arcade cabinets. And I'm in no way a hardcore shm'upper so the stock parts will probably be just fine.

I tend to get caught up in the talk of the really dedicated enthusiasts who have much more experience than I do.

Thanks Escape for the great links and tips. I remember finding Slagcoin some time ago but completely forgot about it - great site. And arcade controls I've never heard of before so thanks.

And yeah, the EX-SE would be ideal but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

The only stick I've used is the Dreamcast one. And then some weird ones that were always in the Danish arcade cabinets. And I'm in no way a hardcore shm'upper so the stock parts will probably be just fine.

I took my old Dreamcast Arcade stick, ripped out all the internals and buttons, put in a PS3/PC Cthulhu board and a set of Sanwa buttons and stick which I ordered from Lizard Lick Amusements (top service btw). I also gave the whole thing a smoothing, filling, sanding, and new coat of black paint.

I've been using it for over a year, mainly for Street Fighter on PC and other console fighters, but have used it for shooters as well. Provided you get a good set of buttons and stick, it'll be much better than anything stock (provided that isn't already Sanwa or something). Just choose the style, colours and feel of the components you personally want to use and don't worry too much about what might be "right" or "wrong" for certain applications. If you're customising a stick, you'll probably be using it for quite a while and it's a very personal thing. To do it properly can take many many many hours, so there's a good time investment and personal touch to the whole thing. If you use it enough, you really just get to know your own stick anyway, so it rarely matters unless you're at an uber-professional level, what small component choices you make.