Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

Uzi

Just now, phillv85 said:

Anyone using an arcade stick on the Xbox Series X? The only stick I can find that is definitely compatible is the Hori Alpha stick. There must be others? 

there’s always the brook adaptor if you already have a stick

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since getting my Oled switch, I’ve been buying a fair few arcade style games, Capcom Arcade, Street Fighter Collection, various shmups… so I picked up the 8bitdo Arcade stick.

Being wireless, it means I can use it with my Switch and PC without much hassle.

I’m not keen on the hardware it comes with, the stick is very loose and the buttons are a bit spongy, but I have an old Madcatz Soul Calibur PS3 stick with sanwa parts so I’m gonna swap them over and that should help the situation. 

Other than that it’s a nice package, it’s solid and weighty, has the option of Bluetooth / 2.4ghz / usb. I quite like the NES aesthetic too. 

Now I need a converter for Dreamcast / Saturn!

13 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

Since getting my Oled switch, I’ve been buying a fair few arcade style games, Capcom Arcade, Street Fighter Collection, various shmups… so I picked up the 8bitdo Arcade stick.

Being wireless, it means I can use it with my Switch and PC without much hassle.

I’m not keen on the hardware it comes with, the stick is very loose and the buttons are a bit spongy, but I have an old Madcatz Soul Calibur PS3 stick with sanwa parts so I’m gonna swap them over and that should help the situation. 

Other than that it’s a nice package, it’s solid and weighty, has the option of Bluetooth / 2.4ghz / usb. I quite like the NES aesthetic too. 

Now I need a converter for Dreamcast / Saturn!

I have the brook convertor for DC/Saturn - works great with a stick. I’ve not tried with my 8bitdo stick though. I can give it a go later.

2 minutes ago, watusi said:

I have the brook convertor for DC/Saturn - works great with a stick. I’ve not tried with my 8bitdo stick though. I can give it a go later.

Awesome, is that the Wingman? I have that in my Amazon wish list, really should pick it up!

I had hoped maybe the stick would work with the Retrobit 2.4ghz adaptor but sadly not. 

On 07/05/2022 at 19:51, PikaStu said:

Button and stick swap complete. Sanwa components from the Madcatz Soul Calibur Tournament Fight Stick. 

That's interesting. I've got an old Dreamcast stick which I modded with all Sanwa components but I fancy a nice new wireless stick. Might try that myself.

I'm looking at buying a Brook converter so I can use a PS4 arcade stick and/or Switch arcade stick with both the Astro City Mini and Taito Egret Mini.

Having looked into it I can see that the MegaDrive/PC Engine converter works for Astro City and the Wingman SD works for the Taito Egret?
Rather than having to buy two, does anyone know if Brook makes a converter that will work across both mini consoles?

• 1 month later...

The Nacon Daija stick is coming back with PS5 compatability. I was a big fan of the PS4 iteration, the build quality is absolute brick shithouse tier and made even the TE2 feel cheap in comparison. I'm really happy they have moved the PS button to the top of the front panel and it now uses a detachable USB-C cable for connectivity as well.

Nacon-Arcade-Stick-Aufmacher.jpg

Might have to pick that up, although it'll have to be pretty spectacular to one-up my Switch RAPV. 

Current lineup:

20220709_153604_1657378990052.thumb.jpg.ec5ba887ffe9c32e1cc26c5d450dc643.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Saturn Hori Fighting Stick SS, modded with new Sanwa buttons and new Omron microswitches. Really nice size for an 8-button.

Switch Hori Real Arcade Pro V. My daily driver (as a PC gamer first and foremost) I'm very much in love with Hayabusa buttons. 

Hori Fighting Stick V3 - Persona 4 Arena edition. I use this with a Brook adapter on Mega Drive + PC Engine. 

Namco PS stick, modded for use with 8 and 16-bit micros like the Amiga. I might swap it back to PS though, as I'm not a fan of the.... 

Hori mini clear. A fairly mediocre stick that just looks very cool. 

Super ASCII Stick for Super Famicom. A very nice stick for its age. As with all sticks of this age the buttons are fairly naff. Stick's nice though. 

Last but not least, Hori RAP3 - Amazon Jpn limited edition. Don't worry, I have all the rivets! Just been mucking around with its guts. Modded with a mix of Sanwa and Seimitsu buttons and an octagonal gate, this is fully converted into a Neo Geo AES stick. Lovely and heavy, only drawback so far is the throw is too long so I need to look into it. Other than that, a marvellous stick. 

2 hours ago, Cheeko said:

Ooh a stick thread, I can shamelessly post a pic of the joystick I recently built as I wanted a super wide one for pinball to sit it behind a cintiq screen but also have the option for arcade gaming.

As a side note I replaced the buttons with the silent sanwa ones and it made a massive difference to the noise of using the thing.

DE8B98CC-760A-4B60-9A95-E16E6E3425B3.thumb.jpeg.f97a58e367e58e98678517e2b9fe272f.jpeg

That's amazing! Nice work.

7 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

That's amazing! Nice work.

Ditto! That's gorgeous. Building one from scratch is on my bucket list. 

7 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Got two of these babies:

s-l1600.jpg

Works on both PS3 and PS4. And looks pretty swish right out of the box.

There are a lot of these excellent sticks going cheap in Japan. I'd say any Hori RAP for PS3 or PS4 is a good choice using the Brook PS3 - > PS4 adapter as necessary, as that gets you PS5 compatibility. 

If a few people use my group ordering thread, there'd be some affordable prices :)

Screenshot_20220710-081635_1657439454143.jpg.fd8c98ad14b8dfda02b816ccb70acc1e.jpg

These are my sticks, a trusty original 360 TE stick (I just use wingman converters) and a custom made Defender control panel for retroness.
Also got a 360 Mad Catz SF X Tekken VS Edition Fightstick and a PS3 TE stick but they are in the loft and I couldnt be arsed getting those out.
xdWx8tb.png

6 hours ago, Treble said:

There are a lot of these excellent sticks going cheap in Japan. I'd say any Hori RAP for PS3 or PS4 is a good choice using the Brook PS3 - > PS4 adapter as necessary, as that gets you PS5 compatibility. 

If a few people use my group ordering thread, there'd be some affordable prices :)

Screenshot_20220710-081635_1657439454143.jpg.fd8c98ad14b8dfda02b816ccb70acc1e.jpg

Hmm, I do have a spare PCB laying around that could do with a new home... :unsure:

I'm starting to find my 8bitdo stick is maybe a bit too loose and sensitive for a lot of classic games. It's superb for beat-em-up where the circular motions or double tapping in side scrollers is easy and buttons are sensitive with very little travel making twitch reaction stuff good.

But as I found with something like, say, Chuckie Egg, that actually controls better with a keyboard, as you need to be sure when your left and right inputs are on and off while pushing vertically (which would probably also be the case with a PS4 D-pad).

Maybe also a little too sensitive for digitally controlled shmups as well, honestly.

But for fighters, lovely. Actually not bad for Hollow Knight either.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out hours of holding down the bottom left (A) button on my 8bitdo arcade stick when playing shmups has caused it to start sticking. Any advice on what I can do about it short of taking it apart?

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Turns out hours of holding down the bottom left (A) button on my 8bitdo arcade stick when playing shmups has caused it to start sticking. Any advice on what I can do about it short of taking it apart?

Why is taking it apart out of the equation? Buttons are mechanically very simple. I'd always advise taking the button out and checking it. 

If this isn't possible or desirable with your 8bitdo, then you could try using silicone lubricant. Silicone grease would be better, but you'd need to take the button out and service it. 

Basically I don't have the requisite screwdriver because I fail at DIY :lol:

EDIT I do have some of that WD40 for electronics that I've seen recommended for servicing the Switch Joycon sticks - dunno if that would help as a lubricant?

What’s a good arcade stick for PS5 and PC?

I was going to pull the trigger on one of these

MAYFLASH Arcade Stick F500 Elite with Sanwa Buttons and Sanwa Joysticks for PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox 360/Nintendo Switch/Android/PC Windows/Neogeo mini https://amzn.eu/d/5UoT2UI

but apparently it won’t work on a PS5, even with the Mayflash Magic S adaptor thing.

Natively there's only the Hori Fightstick Alpha that's about to come out. Amazon link here

Personally I think it's hilariously overpriced, especially when a fighting edge was £50 less and much more premium than the all plastic Alpha is.

There's the new PS5 Nacon Daija that's coming soon but no idea on when or price unfortunately. However I can confirm the PS4 Daija stick as far as build quality goes is one of the best and heaviest sticks i've ever used. 

Yeah, I saw the Hori one. It looks rather toytown to me.

There is a whole lot of conflicting stuff on the web as far as mayflash F500 stick and the Magic adaptor goes. Some saying it doesn’t work on PS5, others saying it does, others saying it does but only on PS4 games running on PS5 (which isn’t much use to me sadly)