Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

Uzi

I've just put some of these up for sale, but here's my current lot (in an ever-shifting pile...)

DSC_0222_1626958055201.thumb.jpg.6060b31d8550a37267a243f1a1c7473b.jpg

Left-right top row:

Hori mini PlayStation (clear) 

Saturn Virtua Stick 

MD Stick

Left-right midrow

Namco PlayStation stick,Amiga-modded

Saturn twin stick

Saturn fighting stick SS with modded buttons

Left-right bottom row:

Hori RAP Switch (for gaming PC) 

Hori RAP PS3 - Arcana Hearts 3 edition

The PS3 stick works on PS4 with the Brook adapter I bought. Working on PS4 means it works on PS5 so its a three-gen PS stick now, essentially. Cost roughly £26 shipped :)

Is it possible to buy replacements for the six smooth topped screws (rivets?) that hold on the faceplate? My VSHG ones are going rusty, and every time I give them a spot of WD40 it only staves it off for a few days. It has shiny metal ones similar to the two Saturn sticks pictured above.

I was asking about that recently - a couple on my VSHG were mildly rusty. They're just M4 carriage bolts, but I haven't see any yet which look like a good match (from browsing online, at least - I should really go to a proper hardware shop). I've cleaned the rusty ones up with a wire brush, and they look great, but I've no idea how long they'll stay that way. Maybe leaving yours in a rust solution for a good while might be a better option?

@Treble Thanks for the heads-up about the sticks! Unfortunately at the moment I am without pot to piss in.

Starting to think that PS3 Arcana Heart HRAP might have been the best arcade stick score of all time. Nothing Hori-branded seems to go for under £100 at the moment, apart from the 3-button VF stick for Saturn, but even those are climbing. (There's an Arcana Heart one on eBay at the moment which would be a great catch for anyone interested in a PS2 stick, being a HRAP 2 underneath all the branding.)

@Darwock @Klatrymadon

The bolts do seem to be an odd configuration, yep. May be worth removing them and dropping them in a rust remover, aye. 

They'll rust-up again fast so, ideally, you'd want to tumble them in a jewelry cleaner with stones/sand to remove all particulates, then nickel plate them. That might be going a tad far though :D

The deal on the Arcana HRAP was pretty darn good for sure. Even by Japanese Yahoo Auction standards. They class anything that isn't pristine as 'junk'. This is missing the cable storage lid and has some light dings, but not something you'd give much of a frig about unless you were a perfectionist. 

All my stuff bar the Switch stick was dirt cheap. The way I go about it is: put about £200 aside, win 5-8 rareish items cheap via a third party agency, pay £80 for FedEx 3-4 day delivery, Mark down all items so they come under the £15 import duty, and you'll end up with several hundred quid's worth of clobber in the Western Market. Keep what you like, sell the rest for a moderate profit. 

49 minutes ago, Treble said:

They class anything that isn't pristine as 'junk'. 

That's good to know - cheers! I saw this HRAP a while ago and noted the missing cable door, but assumed 'junk' meant the PCB was dead or something. The standards are just so much higher than on eBay UK, where people will brazenly put up their knackered, unwanted, filthy rubbish and expect top whack for it.

What site are you using where you can mark down the value of the items? I've heard about this before but the few places I've used, like FromJapan, don't seem to offer it at all at the checkout/shipping options stage. (Also, FromJapan seem to have really expensive shipping options - a few times I've paid £20-30 to have a couple of PS1 CDs delivered within a reasonable time frame, and even the uninsured pot-luck option works out at about £6 per disc.) :P

15 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

That's good to know - cheers! I saw this HRAP earlier and noted the missing cable door, but assumed 'junk' meant the PCB was dead or something. The standards are just so much higher than on eBay UK, where people will brazenly put up their knackered, unwanted, filthy rubbish and expect top whack for it.

What site are you using where you can mark down the value of the items? I've heard about this before but the few places I've used, like FromJapan, don't seem to offer it at all at the checkout/shipping options stage. (Also, FromJapan seem to have really expensive shipping options - a few times I've paid £20-30 to have a couple of PS1 CDs delivered within a reasonable time frame, and even the uninsured pot-luck option works out at about £6 per disc.) :P

I use https://www.sendico.com/

In brief, once all the items you've won at auction have arrived at their warehouse, you group them into a 'parcel'. It estimates the cost based on the weight, and you can select a delivery option. You then fill-in the delivery info, wherein you put the value of each item. There's a hand-wave 'you must do this according to your country's import laws' but basically you can put whatever you want it, and Sendico won't adjust or challenge it.

It works out that FedEx's option is pretty much the greatest. Going off memory, if your parcel is anywhere from about 3kg to something ridiculous like 40 (!) it's the same flat rate of around £80. They're fast, they don't give a monkey's about cracking it open to verify the contents and it breezes across the planet very, VERY quickly. Quickest I had was 3, and no more than 5.

If you've chucked in a few weighty items like consoles and large peripherals, that works out at about £10 shipping for each item. So even if stuff cost the same there as here, that's a decent deal. As it is, stuff over there is far, far cheaper. At the moment, I've observed that:

• Saturn gear is stupidly cheap. Like, 'people really don't want it' cheap. Maybe 4-5 times cheaper than over here. I got an excellent condition White Saturn with pads and memory card for £25. My Vitrual ON boxed twin Sticks with sealed game was about the same price.
  • PlayStation 1 & 2 stuff costs bobbins. PS1 peripherals in particular go for absolute buttons.
  • Dreamcast items are reasonable, but perhaps more valued. Apart from the console itself, which are so numerous you can get them for essentially nothing. A boggo unit with extras will be under £30 easy. I saw an R7 go for around £180, and a Hello Kitty unit boxed with all peripherals and cards, plus an additional (green) controller plus VMs plus games go for about £230. 

Here's some stuff:

Dreamcast, two pads, 4 VMs and two rumble paks, £11 ending tomorrow, no bids so far.

Too much stuff to list, but basically two Saturns inc. a white, two Dreamcasts, all sorts of pads and stuff, currently under a pound, 5 bids, ending tomorrow. Needs TLC but jeeeeez.

Fancy a PS3 SF4 branded Hori Stick? £13 at the moment guv, no bids so far. 

Or this PS3 HRAP, which is also £13 with no bids.

Or maybe you want a Saturn Twin Stick, an official Dreamcast Joystick plus a load of lightguns and stuff? Currently under a quid, pal. There's a single bidder you'd be competing with, mind!

Nice one, I appreciate all the tips! FromJapan operate roughly the same way, with your orders going to a warehouse, where you can then ship them individually or as parcels, etc, but they don't let you mark down the value, so presumably it's just tough shit if you buy anything over the £15 threshold. I'll definitely be searching via Sendico first in future!

Just to say I’ve had my fair share of sticks from Japan as well. I got 3 Hori Fight Stick PS’ for 2000 yen (one complete in box). Also got a Fight Stick SS for 1000 yen and a boxed Fight Stick VF for 500 yen. I may or may not have about a dozen Super Famicom’s, most of which I bought with a bundle of carts for between 1 and 3000 yen 😅

21 years ago I bought a pallet of 10 new Hori Fighting Stick SS from Dixons eBay outlet for £50. They didn't have the Sega Saturn logo above the turbo switches like the Japanese version did but other than that they were the same. I sold them for about £20 each and thought I'd done good out if it 

To be fair, 21 years ago you did do well to get £20 each for them. They’re really good sticks though, I use mine all the time.

I bought a box of about 20 new but unboxed PS1 GunCon’s for £40 about 12 years ago and couldn’t shift them for £7 each posted 😆

5 hours ago, Treble said:

I use https://www.sendico.com/

In brief, once all the items you've won at auction have arrived at their warehouse, you group them into a 'parcel'. It estimates the cost based on the weight, and you can select a delivery option. You then fill-in the delivery info, wherein you put the value of each item. There's a hand-wave 'you must do this according to your country's import laws' but basically you can put whatever you want it, and Sendico won't adjust or challenge it.

It works out that FedEx's option is pretty much the greatest. Going off memory, if your parcel is anywhere from about 3kg to something ridiculous like 40 (!) it's the same flat rate of around £80. They're fast, they don't give a monkey's about cracking it open to verify the contents and it breezes across the planet very, VERY quickly. Quickest I had was 3, and no more than 5.

If you've chucked in a few weighty items like consoles and large peripherals, that works out at about £10 shipping for each item. So even if stuff cost the same there as here, that's a decent deal. As it is, stuff over there is far, far cheaper. At the moment, I've observed that:

• Saturn gear is stupidly cheap. Like, 'people really don't want it' cheap. Maybe 4-5 times cheaper than over here. I got an excellent condition White Saturn with pads and memory card for £25. My Vitrual ON boxed twin Sticks with sealed game was about the same price.
  • PlayStation 1 & 2 stuff costs bobbins. PS1 peripherals in particular go for absolute buttons.
  • Dreamcast items are reasonable, but perhaps more valued. Apart from the console itself, which are so numerous you can get them for essentially nothing. A boggo unit with extras will be under £30 easy. I saw an R7 go for around £180, and a Hello Kitty unit boxed with all peripherals and cards, plus an additional (green) controller plus VMs plus games go for about £230. 

Here's some stuff:

Dreamcast, two pads, 4 VMs and two rumble paks, £11 ending tomorrow, no bids so far.

Too much stuff to list, but basically two Saturns inc. a white, two Dreamcasts, all sorts of pads and stuff, currently under a pound, 5 bids, ending tomorrow. Needs TLC but jeeeeez.

Fancy a PS3 SF4 branded Hori Stick? £13 at the moment guv, no bids so far. 

Or this PS3 HRAP, which is also £13 with no bids.

Or maybe you want a Saturn Twin Stick, an official Dreamcast Joystick plus a load of lightguns and stuff? Currently under a quid, pal. There's a single bidder you'd be competing with, mind!

This is going to hit my wallet a bit and also seriously damage my relationship with my wife

20 minutes ago, watusi said:

This is going to hit my wallet a bit and also seriously damage my relationship with my wife

We should all do a group order at some point. Leave it a few weeks and hopefully I'll be solvent enough to put an order together for a group of us :)

46 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

How are the Hori Saturn sticks? I've been on the fence about one for a while, more for traditional shooters than fighting games.

They're great, if you temper your expectations slightly. Since the HRAP and Madcatz lines kind of standardised things and made 'arcade-quality' parts a baseline expectation, a lot of people have basically written off anything from before the mid-2000s as junk, but Hori's home-market stuff has always been perfectly playable. If you've ever used any other Hori-branded stick from the period* you know what you're getting with the lever itself, as it's the same one they used for everything. It certainly feels slightly cheaper than a Sanwa or Seimitsu joystick, but it's still of a respectable quality - it has a pretty light action without feeling loose and floppy, the engage and return-to-neutral are decent and you won't have any problems with missed/eaten inputs. I find the buttons on the SS a lot more clunky than on the PS version, for some reason, but I can't imagine they used wildly different parts. They're still plenty responsive enough to play shmups and fighting games with, anyway. :)

*a very roughly-defined period going from the PC Engine to the PS2 - their Fighting Stick PC uses the same lever as their Virtua Fighter 4 stick as far as I can tell. :P

I love the Hori Fight Stick SS, the value for money on them (if buying from Japan) is incredible. Sure it’s not quite a HRAP, but it’s more than capable of doing the job.

Yeah, and you can definitely get an LS-32 in there if you really want one. You need to get the older kind, without the 5-pin harness (so not the LS-32-01) and wire up the microswitches manually, and make a little dent in the bottom plate to create a few mm of clearance for the joystick shaft to move around. With a flat mounting plate, though, it should bolt straight in without any additional work.

11 hours ago, Escape said:

@Treble These are the measurements I've guessed...

Act1.png

Act2.png

A - 12

B - 2

C - 12

D - 20

E - 17.5

F - 8

G - 14.5

H - 4.5

Just update as needed and I can make you a 3D file for Craftcloud.

If people want us to take this to PM just say, but will leave it here for now in case it's useful for others :)

So, these are the dimensions. Maths and stuff definitely not my strong point, so apologies for terminology:

Tapered end diameter: 9.43mm

Thick end diameter: 12.46mm

Length: 14mm

That length doesn't include the e clip, which I'm not taking off as they're a bastard nightmare of design and should be flung into the sun :D

Edit: 

Shaft* diameter: 6mm

Shaft length (to plastic bushing): 25.5mm

*daaaaamn right

I wanted to see if the VSHG would look nicer with some more colourful buttons, so I decided to attempt a tribute to the Namco stick. :P

(Internally it has a Brook UFB, and the JLF has been modded with a 1mm oversize delrin actuator and a 1.6 gauge spring, supposedly making it 60% stiffer than a stock JLF. Feels amazin', almost like a Seimitsu.)

20210725_182609.jpg

12 hours ago, Treble said:

That length doesn't include the e clip, which I'm not taking off as they're a bastard nightmare of design and should be flung into the sun :D

They're quite easy to prise off with a small flathead screwdriver (using your other forefinger as a counterpressure guard against the clip and screwdriver flying away), and then refit using the edges of flatnose pliers (so at 45°).

The shaft's definitely 6mm (I'm used to 8 because I prefer Seimitsus), but are you sure about the rest? D is overall height including B. G's obviously important because it needs to be wide enough to accommodate the spring, likewise the H recess depth is important because it has a big effect on spring tension.

Have I got the shape correct? Is C equal to A at 9.43, wider, or narrower? Hard to say without seeing it in profile. The length of B tells me where the outward flare begins.

Act3.png

Act4.png

• 3 weeks later...