Rllmuk Arcade Stick Thread

Uzi

I might be picking up a couple of these soon:

xbox360streetfighterivarcadefightstick-1

I was wondering if anyone has experience installing Suzo Happ switches/buttons on these things? They're a bit on the tall side so I'm worried about them not fitting vertically. Their big plastic base nuts might not fit adjacent, either.

I grew up with Happ, so that's my pref. I plan to have one with Happ/Bat top and the other Sanwa/Ball top.

Colours undecided (all black vs. all white, all white vs. all blue (Judo style), Astro City... Not sure yet). Hopefully that artwork is removable. I've got the airbrush ready to go, but I need to look into a high-durability automotive gloss for the finish, or something.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

I might be picking up a couple of these soon:

xbox360streetfighterivarcadefightstick-1

I was wondering if anyone has experience installing Suzo Happ switches/buttons on these things? They're a bit on the tall side so I'm worried about them not fitting vertically. Their big plastic base nuts might not fit adjacent, either.

I grew up with Happ, so that's my pref. I plan to have one with Happ/Bat top and the other Sanwa/Ball top.

Colours undecided (all black vs. all white, all white vs. all blue (Judo style), Astro City... Not sure yet). Hopefully that artwork is removable. I've got the airbrush ready to go, but I need to look into a high-durability automotive gloss for the finish, or something.

Not sure on the Happs. The housing is 28mm, so you should have some wiggle room regarding fitting in the holes, but as you say - clearance inside the case might be an issue.

The artwork should just be adhesive vinyl which should easily peel away with a bit of heat - a hair dryer will do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2022 at 12:20, ghosted said:

For some reason I opted to play on keys instead a pad and actually found it more comfortable but I wasn't quite happy with the staggered layout as it had me using my index finger for 3 buttons (LP, LK, MK) which somehow didn't 'feel' right.

If you're not aware of the Mixbox, that might give you some ideas. I've an LS-55 with Silent Reds (plus housing inserts) for buttons, with low-profile caps and other 3D-printed bits. I use a lighter LS-33 spring on both my sticks, along with short-throw gates and pintops.

I use pengrip for linear motions and the rounded body additionally for circular ones. So King's Giant Swing is a tap with my forefinger/thumb and then HCF with those and middle. Works for me. Second stick is an LS-40 with 24mm Seimitsus.

IhCWi1I.jpg

TtCj4Fz.jpeg

gORe7rc.jpg

XCMecaH.jpg

I really like the button layout on that second stick! Before I got my Okiboard I was tempted to get or make something like this:

OOO

OOOOO

But y’know, in the ergonomic viewlix layout for the main six, and the extra bottom row button where the up button goes on a hitbox layout.

I specifically wanted it because I get counter hit a lot in Strive when trying to FD. I had FD set to the bottom right button in the layout when I was playing stick, but couldn’t seem to develop the muscle memory to use my little finger instinctively on defence. So yeah, I figured a button that my thumb could slide to would work out much better in the heat of battle. 

Anyway, now I’m on full hitbox layout, so no chance of that for the time being. Maybe I’ll get a stick that has the above layout some day though. 

11 hours ago, imp said:

I really like the button layout on that second stick!

My ring and little fingers form a claw when bent (old injury), so I positioned HK where the former lands. Punches and LK are close to Vewlix (the top row's symmetrical), with a slightly offset MK like the Namco PS1 stick, and HK slightly more offset again.

Besides being natural for me, the other advantage is that I can reach all three kicks with my thumb without lifting my palm off the rest, using ring and thumb for HP+HK instead of middle and thumb. The outside buttons were inspired by the Virtua Stick, and though I rarely use them they seem well-placed. The Neo Geo row was unintentional.

Both sticks have pluses and minuses. The LS-55 feels lovely but has a really short throw with my gate, making it less forgiving than the clunkier 40. If I played 2D shooters it'd be class (it has accurate centring with a washer that seats flat).

If you have a numpad to hand, * and 9 are LP and LK, with the thumb button where 0 is. I use that as my block button. Soulcalibur:

A  B  K

G

And I know what you mean about finger dominance! I use three fingers on my keypad with double-space buttons for my top+bottom inputs (G above becomes throw), so my little finger isn't needed.

On 17/09/2022 at 23:05, Escape said:

I use pengrip for linear motions and the rounded body additionally for circular ones.

Wow, I've never seen that style of bat-top before, but I can't be the only one that find it's unnervingly...corporeal. Thanks for the info though. I actually upgraded an old stick for my retroPi stuff and ended up using an octagonal gate along with shorter throw (via kowal oversize actuator) and much prefer it to the more common behaviour.

I have the Hori fight stick mini stick already and did pick up the 8 bit do arcade stick but the one I got only seemed to work wirelessly on my switch with the wired connection never being recognised, even if it had worked the placement of the USB-C port on the stick was very poorly thought out, was so deeply recessed you needed either a child's hands or tweezers / nose pliers to be able to easily plug and unplug cables into it.

Am now tempted by the power A fusion is it any good? its only £35 on amazon at present and would welcome opinions from the forum on it.

On 11/08/2022 at 16:59, imp said:

The buttons that replace the lever are the directional buttons. The ones on the left are L, D, R, and the big one at the bottom is U. Since SPD motions only require 3/4 of a full circle motion in most games these days, I'd imagine you could do one by drumming L, D, R, U quite easily. Still, I don't think I'd be playing Goldlewis on one of these any time soon.

225º in V - so more like half-circle and a bit. In the below I start with the up-back then do the half circle.

Curious to see what VI's modern controls do for command grabs. :) 

On 28/09/2022 at 09:16, Down by Law said:

Heh, I even searched for fusion arcade stick but nothing came up. First time I've seen that, looks good for the money and a lot like the old mat catz brawlstick - I'd certainly pick that over the Hori minis which are just too small imo

Ordered....Will report back how I find it... bear in mind I'm a long toothed gamer but a complete novice when it comes to arcade style controllers.

• 1 month later...

So these are my current sticks.

The top one has a JLF and OBSFS-30's and the bottom one has the original Hayabusa stick and a mish mash of Hori Kuro and old buttons from a 360 EX stick, although I have another JLF and OBSF-30's coming for it to make it Neo Geo themed.

What I really want however is some custom art for them. Does anyone know anywhere I can get a printed plexi like the ones on arcadeshock? I really like their SSFIIX one, but it's out of stock and I'd like maybe a Big Red, Lordsvale or Neo29 style one for the Neo themed stick.

Once the Sanwa parts arrive I'll have a full Hayabusa stick & buttons set and a Hayabusa stick and Kuro buttons set. Are these worth listing on ebay to get some of my outlay back?

sticks.jpg

So I recently got one of these!

9404F665-17E2-4E6C-8EF7-A033EA67D821.thumb.jpeg.2345dc31933e59ef4dd7e0faeab7d729.jpeg

… got it from some guy on eBay for a pretty decent price - the simple fact that it’s got a Brook UFB and a complete set of Crown 202’s is pretty much the price I paid for it.

the fact that it’s in a lovely Blunderbuss Designs Kuma case is just the extra on top.

I’d heard that these things were quite unintuitive to begin with, but I can’t say I’ve struggled with it so far, but then I’m absolutely terrible when it comes to fighting games so perhaps I’m just not struggling any more than I usually would be.

Need to sort out some art for it.

On 01/10/2022 at 15:24, Davros sock drawer said:

May I ask what I considered the current Go-To stick for Mame?  I'm so far out of the loop on this I've never even been in the loop.

Just looking for a single player, good quality but simple stick plus 6 buttons affair. 

Missed this or would have replied. Depends! Pretty much all usb-based sticks from the PS360 era will work on PCs and Pi out of the box. 

9 hours ago, Superfamifreak said:

The top one has a JLF and OBSFS-30's and the bottom one has the original Hayabusa stick and a mish mash of Hori Kuro and old buttons from a 360 EX stick, although I have another JLF and OBSF-30's coming for it to make it Neo Geo themed.

What I really want however is some custom art for them. Does anyone know anywhere I can get a printed plexi like the ones on arcadeshock? I really like their SSFIIX one, but it's out of stock and I'd like maybe a Big Red, Lordsvale or Neo29 style one for the Neo themed stick.

Once the Sanwa parts arrive I'll have a full Hayabusa stick & buttons set and a Hayabusa stick and Kuro buttons set. Are these worth listing on ebay to get some of my outlay back?

sticks.jpg

...or you could just do a deal with Superfamifreak! 

10 hours ago, Superfamifreak said:

sticks.jpg

FocusAttack have templates for pretty much every stick under the sun. You could probably get plexi / art cut to size somewhere here in the UK.

11 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

FocusAttack have templates for pretty much every stick under the sun. You could probably get plexi / art cut to size somewhere here in the UK.

11 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

^ A lovely fella at the following site made an Egret II-themed plexi for a Qanba Q4RAF after I supplied him with the art:

https://www.arcadeartshop.com/

IIRC it came to about £35.

(The art was from @GStickart on Twitter, whose current rates I'm not sure of.)

The problem with the HRAP4 is the top panel isn’t designed to be removed and replaced, so is stuck down. Any plexi would have to be under printed before being stuck down. 

The plexi in my pic was a solid piece of acrylic with art printed directly on it (perhaps underprinted - I don't know anything about this process, but it didn't scratch easily). It's 2mm thick, but I imagine the Arcade Art Shop folks could get it down to 1mm, or whatever the thickness of the HRAP sticker is. It's a fairly expensive solution, but I've never really seen any quick, cheap ones for the HRAP4...

3 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

The plexi in my pic was a solid piece of acrylic with art printed directly on it (or underprinted, I'm not sure). It's 2mm thick, but I imagine the Arcade Art Shop folks could get it down to 1mm, or whatever the thickness of the HRAP sticker is. It's a fairly expensive solution, but I've never really seen any quick, cheap ones for the HRAP4...

Well the arcadeshock SSFIIX panel is showing as in stock, so I might go for that depending on shipping costs. 

Once I’m on the laptop I’ll have a look at that other dudes stuff. 

I’m actually in the market for another stick. Must be PS3/4/5 compatible, have a touchpad and easily moddable. Any recommendations or shall I just get another HRAP4?

22 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I’d heard that these things were quite unintuitive to begin with, but I can’t say I’ve struggled with it so far, but then I’m absolutely terrible when it comes to fighting games so perhaps I’m just not struggling any more than I usually would be.

Nice! I made the switch to leverless a few months ago and I absolutely love the feel now I'm used to it.

There are definitely a few types of motion people say are unintuitive as you can't visualise them in the same way as a stick. The first that springs to mind is the DP motion, made especially awkward on 2P side for a lot of people as the weakness of your ring finger will be very apparent at first. It'll take some time, but you can definitely get it down if you persevere.

The other common one is half circles. Although it's a simple roll from one direction to another, doing this too quickly will often result in missing the down input, and depending on the input strictness of the game, can mean the move doesn't register. Just something to remember if you're struggling with these!

Also, do experiment with using your right thumb instead of your left for the up button. Thinking of it as a 'jump' button was absolutely crucial to me in being able to adapt to this style of controller, and helped me get used to movement in general.

If you're a glutton for punishment and playing KoF you'd do well to look up some shortcuts for the control style, as trying most of KoF's weird nonsense 'honestly' is not a great idea!

On 12/11/2022 at 11:18, imp said:

Nice! I made the switch to leverless a few months ago and I absolutely love the feel now I'm used to it.

Yeah, this thing is pretty lovely - I've not really suffered any issues with adaption with it at all moving from stick at all - even in something like Strive where the Nago Half-Circle back and then forward Ultra comes out effortlessly every single time, when it was only about 70-80% on the stick for me (or worse, if I was tired). Bashing out 360's on SFV without any hassle in training, worse under pressure and 720's seem completely out of reach for now, but I'm sure that'll change.

Everything just feels so clean about it - stuff like the DP is unintuitive as you say, but it's just ensuring you forge those new neurological pathways so you can just do them when you need to, rather than thinking about where your fingers are. I'm also finding it far, far more ergonomic - having it sat on my lap seems to be producing way less stress than a lever which is always good - and while my left hand ring finger was achy as fuck for the first couple of days, I seem to be more or less past that now.

The Brook UFB even has the right headers soldered on to whack in the PS5 upgrade.

Ahh, funny, I still struggle with 632146 motions like Nago's super (but this is probably because Testament doesn't have one so it doesn't get practised much). I find the 4 in the motion often doesn't register as I don't leave enough time between letting go of down with my middle finger and pressing right with my index, so the move gets read by the game as 64216. I'm more consistent with this on 2P side though, for whatever reason!

So, my JLF & OBSF30's should be arriving tomorrow or tuesday and as well as those I've ordered two blanks as I'm going for a 6 button layout but with Neo Geo styling so it will look something like this:

Yellow/Green/Blue/Blank

Red/White/White/Blank

My main question is what to do with the wires that would have been connected to the buttons that would have been where the blanks will be? Will I be OK just leaving them loose or should I wrap them with electrical tape and secure them to the top panel?

17 hours ago, Superfamifreak said:

My main question is what to do with the wires that would have been connected to the buttons that would have been where the blanks will be? Will I be OK just leaving them loose or should I wrap them with electrical tape and secure them to the top panel?

I don't think you're in any real danger of cables flopping around and causing a short - the wiring harness never seems to have enough give to enable that sort of movement. However, if you have some electrical tape to hand it's a couple of seconds of work for peace of mind so it might be worth it?

@imp It's probably because on the P2 side your going from your weaker finger through to your stronger ones which makes it easier to be consistent - There's this strange confidence thing with button inputs I've noticed that as soon as you actively think something you're totally screwed because your fingers go into manual drive and you fluff it completely. Even super simple stuff in SF6 like Ken's MP>HP>EX Lash>EX DP completely falls apart if I get to HP and think "wait, did that confirm, what's next?". Might be the same with the Nago stuff.

That's the problem with Hitboxes - it makes the fuzziest, least reliable component you and leaves you absolutely nothing to blame but your aging wetware and crippled meat sausage fingers. Oh for the days of being able claim that the ancient SNES pad you were using was the one thing holding you back from winning EVO.

Would anyone be interested in a project stick?

It's my old PS3 Fighting Stick V3. It has all the wiring, but no buttons or stick. I can supply a Hori Hayabusa stick that will fit and some 30mm Kuro buttons to replace the frankly quite awful stock 28mm buttons. The base also has a hole cut out as a JLF/LS/Hayabusa won't fit in without scraping the bottom of the shell, but I'm sure you could get a metal plate cut to size to go over it(And add a bit of weight).

I'd keep it but it seems like a whole lot of effort for something I'll likely never use seeing as I've got the 2 HRAP4 Kai's I posted earlier, plus 2 HRAP V Hayabusa's and a HRAP V Hayabusa Silent coming from Japan.

I'll give it until the end of the week and if there is no interest, I'll keep it and do it up at some point in the not anywhere near future.

So, I finished restoring my Fighting Stick V3. It came to me with a dodgy button board and no stick. So I installed one of my spare Hayabusa's that was taken from a HRAP4 and the Kuro buttons from the older HRAP4. However, the buttons pushed the 2.8mm quick release clips against the base, so I put the shallower Hayabusa buttons in it instead. Then I removed the 7 pin JST connector for the buttons and hardwired everything to the PCB, daisy chaining the ground. Then I tidied it up as neatly as I could with clips and cable ties. The only annoyance is that I've had to bore a hole below the stick as the bottom of the shaft kept scraping on the base. However I do have a metal plate that needs cutting to size and drilling, which I'll eventually put on to cover the hole and add weight.

Pic 1 is a quick wire up job I did to make sure the main PCB was working.

Pic 2 is with the Hayabusa stick and buttons installed and the wiring run around the edge of the shell

Pic 3 is how it looks with the matte finish buttons

Just need a custom top panel for it now.

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

IMG_7676.jpg