Nine Inch Nails calls it a day

DonRumsfeld

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2021 at 16:48, marsh said:

Apologies to boot a NIN thread to the top of a forum where fans might get excited.

Transpires Trent and atticus have been working with Halsey (no it's a new thing to an old codger like me). Odd because I spotted the album cover in HMV the other day, and I instantly not regret buying it.....

Anyway, I'm a bit hooked on it. It's got a very very strong NIN vibe running through the whole thing, or certainly what I've heard. You might like it, you may hate it.

Having played 'isn't everyone' it's kind of a flip side to that song. Uncanny.

I only found out about this the other day when I final gave in and watched this video (well the start anyway) that YouTube has been recommending me for weeks:

Never knowingly heard anything by Halsey before but I do like this album.  It’s reminiscent of NIN and Tori Amos while being it’s own thing.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 23:46, dreamylittledream said:

Not sure I can hear much Tori in there but its very NIN with a female vocal which is far from a bad thing

it's more the subject matter & lyrical content that put me in mind of Tori, especially albums like Little Earthquakes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Where are you seeing them?

Eden Project. It's not that far for me. About an hour. It's cost £215 for 3 tickets. 

It's my daughter's second gig - she went to see My Chemical Romance there last month.

24 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Eden Project. It's not that far for me. About an hour. It's cost £215 for 3 tickets. 

It's my daughter's second gig - she went to see My Chemical Romance there last month.

Wow that’s not a bad price! I guess it’s sold out now?

On 13/06/2022 at 18:14, Fierce Poodle said:

Wow that’s not a bad price! I guess it’s sold out now?

Still available for both dates, plus lots of people trying to resell them after they managed to get Brixton tickets as well (which was announced afterwards) and no longer want to go all the way to Cornwall :lol:

59 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Still available for both dates, plus lots of people trying to resell them after they managed to get Brixton tickets as well (which was announced afterwards) and no longer want to go all the way to Cornwall :lol:

Oof, that's gotta be awkward. I'd definitely go see them if it was an hour away but when the Eden project tickets went on sale, I looked at journey times and thought nope. Hope it's a good show, last time I saw them they were great.

On 13/06/2022 at 18:49, neoELITE said:

lol, fucking hell. I remember paying a fiver to some lad selling a spare ticket on the door the first time I saw them(him). 2005, Manchester Apollo.

It was so good I went and did the same again the night after, that was £11 that time though.

I've lost count the amount of times I've seen 'em live. Seven times in 2007 alone (twice in Amsterdam at the Paradiso - that was immense). Ladytron were supporting for the first few months of that year too.

The last time was at the MEN in Manchester (2009). Totally forgettable. I hate stadium/arena concerts.

That was fucking awesome! I took two pictures and a short video. Mainly because I was mesmerised. This was my penultimate favourite band to see. I only have one more to tick off my list. System of A Down.

The set list was surprising in parts and they played 6 tracks from Downward Spiral. Heresy being my highlight. It felt odd singing along to Closer with my 14 year old daughter 🥸

A great musical performance. Those guys are tight. Robin was a split second premature at the end of March of The Pigs but I'll let him off. What a drummer they have currently. I'm glad they stuck him front left so we could see him. Ilan Rubin's performance during Perfect Drug was incredible.

What a night out. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDGV78kmGM&feature=youtu.be

I saw them last night and it was such a great show. I was surprised at how small the venue was, it made for a really nice intimate show. Their stage setup felt a bit more rock band rather than industrial juggernaut. All in all it felt like a special show from them. 

The set was a bit odd, quite heavy on With Teeth stuff, but they played Happiness In Slavery! I’d given up on seeing that one live again. No Closer, but they dropped Wish second in the set which was unexpected and a bit painful as I was quite close to the front. 

It pissed down with rain from about 2pm so by the time NIN came on we were all soaked and past caring. Trent said ‘welcome to summer in Cornwall’ which got a grin from Atticus Ross. Then later a rainbow came out and he said there had been two firsts that night: ‘a fucking rainbow and me fucking something up onstage’ (he’d bungled a piano part earlier). 

The whole day felt nice and relaxed and everyone seemed in a good mood, even my mate Grumpy Steve. Got chatting to quite a few people including a girl in the bar queue:

Her: ’When did you first see them live?’

Me: ‘1994, Self-Destruct tour.’

Her: ‘I was one year old then!’

Me: *unpacks zimmer frame*

Brilliant day, despite the rain. 

43D672BF-32DB-4B17-8D4F-8C86878EA806.jpeg

2C4CB0D4-580B-4BCB-AB62-0CD870359361.jpeg

9E8C3F59-1A52-4A30-90D1-41CEEAC3EBB8.jpeg

My mate sent me a video of the rain before it started. Holy shit, it came down. Good old Cornish summer time.

@lankysanchez did you wander about in the rainforest first? 

It's a fantastic venue. It's at the arse end of nowhere but if you can afford to make a long weekend of it, well worth a trip. 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

It's a fantastic venue. It's at the arse end of nowhere but if you can afford to make a long weekend of it, well worth a trip. 

We were talking about this: we were lucky as one of our group’s in-laws live in Bodmin so we stayed with them, it’s great if you can make a weekend of it - which we needed to coming from Oxford and Reading. 

If we had waited and got Brixton tickets instead that would have arguably been easier for travel and so on but it would have been ‘just another’ NIN gig and not this which really felt like something a bit special. 

I'm still coming down a bit. 

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

My mate sent me a video of the rain before it started. Holy shit, it came down. Good old Cornish summer time.

@lankysanchez did you wander about in the rainforest first? 

How dare you call my hometown, St Austell, the arse end of nowhere. That makes it sound much more vibrant and metropolitan than it really is.

23 minutes ago, dug said:

How dare you call my hometown, St Austell, the arse end of nowhere. That makes it sound much more vibrant and metropolitan than it really is.

I do apologise. I'm currently up in the big smoke, up the line. It's a fantastic venue, a real shame it's so far away for most folk. Or maybe, that's why it's so special. Given NIN and MCR have played there recently, word should get around and I think they'll be hosting many big bands in the future.

It takes a good hour and a half to get there from Plymouth late afternoon. The traffic between Saltash and Liskeard on Friday was horrendous. That road is so dodgy in the dark. 

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I do apologise. I'm currently up in the big smoke, up the line. It's a fantastic venue, a real shame it's so far away for most folk. Or maybe, that's why it's so special. Given NIN and MCR have played there recently, word should get around and I think they'll be hosting many big bands in the future.

It takes a good hour and a half to get there from Plymouth late afternoon. The traffic between Saltash and Liskeard on Friday was horrendous. That road is so dodgy in the dark. 

Yeah, it's a great venue. I saw Queens of the Stone Age there a few years ago and it was awesome. It's nice to have a venue in Cornwall again where big acts play. There hasn't been one since Cornwall Colosseum closed down in the 90s. 

Although, yeah, a pain in the ass for anyone to get to from upcountry.