Yacht Rock

ZOK

I've updated my links, only one of them is longer available. Here's a few new offerings.

Hummingbird - You Can't Hide Love

I've got to admit, I'd never heard this version before today. I was toying with the idea of including another track of theirs, and when I hit up Discogs for some more info, this video was on their homepage. Great cover version.

These cats have really captured the feel of taking a new boat on her maiden voyage and seeing what she can do.

Love it.

(everybody update their links please, scrape the barnacles off)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In a similar not-really-Yacht-but-close vein (although they think it is yacht, silly people) there is another Too Slow To Disco compilation out:

TSTD-Vol2-Package-MockUp.jpg

Tracklisting, with info:

01 DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES – Alone too long (1975) – taken from the album: »Darly Hall & John Oates«
You knew they were coming… Those acknowledged kings of blue eyed soul might have recently been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but their early career didn’t take off quite as planned. Hard to imagine now, but their three early and very excellent soul-folk albums didn’t garner a lot of attention, despite great production from a.o. Todd Rundgren. Even their later hit-single „She’s gone“ from fine 1973 album „Abandoned Luncheonette“ had to be re-released in 1976 before becoming their first hit, after Lou Rawls and The Tavares had success with their cover versions. If one thing makes „Alone too long“ so special it’s that it is one of their rare recordings where John Oates, he of the always-amazing backing vocals, takes the lead vocal here. Lately this track’s had a second life as the title track for the great HBO comedy „Hello Ladies“ by Stephen Merchant (long time partner of Ricky Gervais).

02 BEN SIDRAN – Hey hey baby (1974) – taken from the album: »Don’t let go«
Sure, he’s not really a household name, but the hip-professorial Ben Sidran is not only an outstanding multi-talented jazzer, he’s also an author and university lecturer. The prolific Sidran has released 34 solo albums (on prestigious jazz labels like Verve), and has been acclaimed for his ability to cross-fertilise grooves and bebop with poetic and witty lyrics (The Times of London called him “the first existential jazz rapper”). He played with Steve Miller and Boz Scaggs when he was young, was invited by Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Peter Frampton and the likes for recording sessions and wrote several highly regarded books about jazz. Like any luminary of the classic years of recording, a lot of his cuts have been sampled, most notably the track you’ll find here „Hey hey baby“ (used by MC SOLAAR in 1991 for „victime de la mode“). The Chicago Sun Times once called him a “Renaissance man cast adrift in a modern world“. Sidenote: this track wouldn’t be on TSTD 2 without the enthusiasm and persistence of his son Leo Sidran (also a well known musician and composer) – big props Leo!

03 JIMMY GRAY HALL – Be that way (1974) – »7 Inch only«
Could this be the key track of Volume 2?! It’s no overstatement to say we couldn’t have actually finished the new compilation without this killer track. And of course it turned out to be the longest license clearing process in the history of TSTD, but hey, worth every minute of it! It was on, it was off, we were close, then so far, so many times in the course of a single year that tears and joy were never far apart.

Jimmy Gray Hall was signed to Epic Records by Stephen Paley (Head of A&R who signed Sly Stone and Shuggie Otis in the same year!). Studio time was booked to record an album, but unfortunately drugs and other distractions made him miss several recording sessions and his voice suffered, so the recordings were halted and sadly Jimmy Gray Hall was dropped by the label. The only completed recordings were three promo 7”s, each of them a total gem and a testimony to an outstanding, if lost, talent. The arrangements are great and the warmth and dirtyness in his vocals is incredible. He played most of the instruments himself. Fate was to turn darker, and sadly he died in 1984 under tragic circumstances. In a strange second life the track was taken to heart by British Northern Soul DJs in the late 70s and ended up with a cult following.

It was a huge team effort, but today, some 40 years later, we can finallly present a mastered version of that track. The original tapes were nowhere to be found so Mike Piacentini at Battery Studios NYC did an amazing job mastering the track from a 7 inch copy. Huge thanks go out to his son Grady Hall, Stephen Paley, Katherine Begley at Sony for making this possible.

04 ERIC KAZ – Come with me (1974) – taken from the album: »Cul de sac«
Eric Kaz only released two solo albums in the 1970s, neither of which received the attention they deserved. He also released two albums with the band American Flyer (produced by George Martin), but – like so many acts here at TSTD – his songwriting work for other people later made him a superstar resulting in a crowded mantelpiece of awards. His biggest hit must be the perennial love song, “Love Has No Pride”, recorded by Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Rita Coolidge, Lynn Anderson and many others, but his compositions can also be found on albums by Don Johnson, Michael Bolton, Randy Meisner (Eagles), Paul Young, Kim Carnes etc. He won two ASCAP Pop Awards and four ASCAP Country Awards as both writer and publisher, won the Music City News Top Country Hits Award for “I Cross My Heart”, had four Top 10 Country hit singles, including two number 1s… Now do you see why we think you should know him?

05 LEBLANC & CARR – Stronger love (1977) – taken from the album: »Midnight light«
Midnight Light is the only album Denny Leblanc and Pete Carr wrote and released together, but they both appear on many other great albums. Pete Carr played and produced for Joan Baez, Luther Ingram, Bob Seger, Joe Cocker, Boz Scaggs, Paul Simon, The Staple Singers, Rod Stewart, Barbra Streisand, Wilson Pickett, and Hank Williams, Jr. among others. He was also part of the legendary Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (no slouchs there!). Lenny Leblanc played with Hank Williams Jr., Crystal Gayle, Etta James, The Supremes, Joan Baez, Amy Grant and Roy Orbison. In 1980, in a bit of a switch of direction, he became a born-again Christian and began recording Christian-themed music.

06 DAVE RAYNOR – Leave me alone tonight (1981) – taken from the album: »Rain or shine«
As far as we know Dave Raynor released only one solo album „Rain or shine“ released by First American Records in 1981 (they also released fine albums by Don Brown, see TSTD volume 1). Dave later wrote succesful songs for many other artists, like Deniece „Let’s Hear It For The Boy“ Williams and became a much in-demand recording engineer at LA studios. He won a Grammy Award for his work with Deniece Williams in 1987 and was Grammy nominated in 1988 for a song recorded by Natalie Cole. Still creatively active, he now runs a company producing commercial and television music.

07 R & J STONE – Keep on holding me (1977) – taken from the album: »R & J«
British/American husband/wife duo R & J Stone met back in 1973 when touring as singers in the James Last World tour (that’s a sentence you don’t read every day!) In 1975 they had their only hit with „We do it“. Tragedy struck soon after when Joanne Stone was diagnosed with a brain tumour. She died in 1979 and it took Russell Stone a long time to get over this tragic loss. Now a recovered alcoholic, and judging from our phone calls, a happy person, Russell is excited to be included in Vol. 2: „I was devastated for many years by what happened but have come through all that stronger and wiser and I would not change a thing. Life is beautiful, death inevitable, bow to inevitability and dance“. You can find many clips of the couple from old TV shows, and it’s heartbreaking to see the two obviously so much in love and unaware of what fate had in store. Well, this is a lovely memento, and the first ever European/Non-American track on TSTD.

08 BYRNE AND BARNES – Never gonna stop lovin’ you (1981) – taken from the album: »An eye for an eye«
Robert Byrne is one of the most highly-regarded musicians of that late 70s West Coast sound that we all love so much. Unfortunately he died of unknown causes back in 2005, but remains an unforgettable figure through his solo-album „Blame it on the night“ and this cooperation with Brandon Barnes on „Eye for an eye“. He mostly worked at the famous FAME studios at Muscle Shoals in Alabama, where this album was also recorded. The line-up on the record is a stellar cast of the finest session musicians, amongst them Lenny LeBlanc from Leblanc & Carr. Robert Byrne later produced acts like The Pointer Sisters and Patti Austin and wrote several number 1 hits, mainly for country artists.

The master tapes of this album were lost in a studio fire years ago, so our thanks to co-producer Terry Woodford for somehow making this track’s inclusion possible. It also must be stated that the original cover for this album must rate under the top 10 of the most weird and disturbing (Google it, if you want to see it in a bigger size, but you won’t thank us!).

09 LARSEN/FEITEN BAND – Who’ll be the fool tonight (1980) – taken from the album: »Larsen/Feiten Band«
This it taken from the only album Buzz Feiten and Neil Larsen released under their own names, although they had collaborated before on other highly regarded jazz-fusion music as Full Moon. Both are hugely important musicians and highly sought-after composers. Buzz Feiten was one of the go-to studio session guitarists and in his early days – before joining the Butterfield Blues Band – he played with Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and formed The Rascals. Later he was requested on sessions by, well… almost everybody: Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder… Ever the over-achiever he’s also known for patenting a new guitar tuning system in 1992, the „Buzz Feiten tuning system“ and constructing his own „Buzz Feiten Guitars“. We recently had the pleasure to sit down with Ned Doheny and he was raving about both inventions. Neil Larsen is a known keyboardist and played on albums by George Harrison, Whitney Houston, Kenny Loggins, Jimmy Cliff and many others. He’s written hits for Will Smith, Womack & Womack, George Benson and penned TV and movie scores. „Who’ll be the fool tonight” was their only minor hit and reached the Billboard Top 10.

10 PAUL DAVIS – Medicine woman (1976) – taken from the album: »Southern tracks & fantasies«
Right, credit where it’s due, we have to hail Paul Davis for giving this compilation series its name: „Too Slow To Disco“ was a track he recorded in 1980, which features the iconic lyric: „I’m too slow to disco baby, too old to rock n roll“. He died in 2008, and, somewhat dramatically, survived a shooting in 1986 in Nashville. Davis ranged wide, writing soul, pop and country tunes. He had several hits, including a Top 10 ballad “I Go Crazy,” which peaked at No. 7 in 1978 and spent 40 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, which at the time set the single-song record for most weeks in the charts. He later scored two country #1s with Marie Osmond and Tanya Tucker.

11 JOE VITALE – Step on you (1974) – taken from the album: »Roller coaster weekend«
Joe Vitale is your classic allrounder; songwriter, flautist, keyboardist and singer. But he’s most in demand as a session drummer and the list of bands who have insisted he play on their albums or live tours looks like the ultimate Who’s Who of West Coast smooth criminals: The Eagles, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg, Peter Frampton, John Entwistle – the list goes on and on. He also co-produced and co-wrote songs, the most famous one being “Pretty Maids All in a Row” on The Eagles’ Hotel California. He is still active in the biz and has released three solo albums.

12 NITEFLYTE – If you want it (1979) – taken from the album: »Niteflyte«
Niteflyte was a project for soul singer Howard Johnson and Sandy Torano, a session guitarist and producer for bands like The Commodores. Together they released only two albums but managed to have a hit with „If you want it“. They assembled an impressive company of musicians to play on their albums, including Phyllis Hyman, Billy Swan, and Michael and Randy Brecker. Howard Johnson later also had a solo career, releasing several albums on A&M.

13 BRUCE HIBBARD – Never turnin’ back (1980) – taken from the album: Never turnin’ back
Bruce Hibbard was born into a musical family, and was introduced to many different instruments and music styles at a really early age. In a typical American story, he soon began playing at the church where his parents were involved, and as a teenager had already starting penning his own Christian rock tunes. After working with several bands and releasing his solo album „A light within“, the Christian rock label „Word“ discovered and signed him. „Never turnin’ back“ was released by the sub-label „Myrrh“ (wonder what that relates to!) – who were responsible for releasing some truly impressive music in the late 70s and early 80s. This lovely cut was only a small hit, but Bruce continues to write and perform today.

14 STREETPLAYER – Shades of winter (1983) – taken from the album: »Streetplayer«
Hold your breath meine musikfans! We have rediscovered Streetplayer for your listening pleasure, the only truly funky West Coast band to hail from Germany. Formed by two musicians from Bonn – Streetplayer were Thomas Westerhausen (ex MADISON) and singer Bernd Markendorf (ex WAVE). Their love for bands like Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago and Steely Dan encouraged them to try to craft their own Rock-Soul-Funk-Jazz-Fusion combination. It was hard to find players of the right calibre in Germany, smooth music is surprisingly demanding. Once in place EMI released their self titled debut in 1983, but personal differences caused the band to split up, and the project kind of died on the launchpad (the original singer Bernd Markendorf quit before the first proper tour even got going). Still „Shades of winter“ is an impressive ride through the sound of the US West Coast, nicely melding fusion, jazz and soul.

15 MICHAEL OMARTIAN – Fat City (1974) – taken from the album: »White horse«
Michael Omartian is an industry behemoth, a titan of tunes, and there’s only really room to scratch the surface here. Grammys pile up in his basement (in 1980 alone he was nominated for 10!). So let’s cut to the chase, he co-produced „We are the world“ with Quincy Jones. He formed the disco-band Rhythm Heritage, he produced albums for Whitney Houston, The Jacksons, Cliff Richard, Christopher Cross, Donna Summer and on and on. As a session musician he’s played on albums by Steely Dan, The Four Tops, Al Jarreau. Just like Bruce Hibbard, he is strongly connected to the Christian music scene. His first album „White Horse“, also released on Myrrh Records features „Fat City“. Not only his own masterpiece, but also definitely one of the best „Christian“ albums ever made. Plus, Omartian is one of only a handful of human beings who has produced number one records in three consecutive decades (1970s, 1980s, and 1990s).

16 MICHAEL NESMITH – Capsule (hello people a hundred years from now) (1979) – taken from the album: »Infinite rider on the big dogma«
Most Europeans know Michael Nesmith as the tall one with the hat in 1960s TV boyband The Monkees. But even back then, he was the only Monkee allowed to contribute songs for the band and he fought hard for their musical independence, later culminating in the mad, spaced-out soundtrack for the Jack Nicholson movie „Head“. Nesmith’s career post-Monkees is just too extensive to cover all the details here, but he continued to be a successful musician (mostly with country albums) but also became an important figure in US cinema, TV and a video pioneer.

Having spotted the potential of pop videos early on, Nesmith decided to make movies for each of the tracks on the „Infinite rider on the big dogma“ album. Remember, this is 1979, MTV did not launch until 1981 so this was out-there stuff. He only finished one video for „Cruisin“ which you can find on Youtube. But he was light years ahead of the pack, and in a way he still is… He was executive producer on the cult film Repo Man (1984). He also was the first person to be given a Grammy Award for „Video of the Year“ for his hour-long television show „Elephant Parts“ in 1981. Looks like it runs in the family: His mother Betty invented “Liquid Paper” (that’s Tipp Ex for us Germans).

Last but not least: he wrote the hit „Different drum“ for Linda Ronstadt, which, as a 1990 cover by The Lemonheads was one of the first releases on City Slang, our partner company here at TSTD.

It's not bad. I prefer the original one, but this one has a lot more tracks and bands I was unfamiliar with. But some of them wander a little bit too close to self-parody and there just aren't any that have really grabbed me yet. But it's pretty and it sounds damn good on a Sunday morning. Go grab it, unless you haven't grabbed the first in which case go for that one instead.

http://tooslowtodisco.frocksteady.com/shop.html

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

somehow this whole thing totally passed me by, if a load of the songs didn't

just watched the first part of the Katie P prog last night and now have a very nice 2.5h 36 song playlist sat on my phone, took me ages to watch prog as kept having to pause it and go add songs, or rrwd to shazam them.

highlight new find for me was Ned Doheny, never heard of him and got 2 songs nabbed with more sure to follow. 

part 2 tonight.

On 18/02/2009 at 12:34, ZOK said:

Oh man, this is so worthy of its own thread.

092007_yacht_rock.jpg

Watch this amazing programme, then pin your Yacht Rock favourites to the mast.

Mad props going out to my men esar and Ben 'Filthy Oven' Isaacs.

If you like that @Gotters you should watch this entire YouTube series, it’s a joy.

Amazing Ned Doheny facts: he is the cousin of science fiction writer Larry Niven, and his great grandfather was the inspiration for Daniel Day-Lewis’ character in There Will Be Blood. 

On 12/11/2011 at 13:35, Art Vandelay said:

I was noodling through the thread to clean up the hull a little and came across this again, such a wonderful slice of yacht chiptune, just lovely!

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So they after a lot of episodes, the Beyond Yacht Rock boys have finally wound up their show. These are the dudes who invented the term, did the original web series and tirelessly rated songs on a scale of Yacht or Nacht. Hands down and by far and away my favourite podcast. The end of an era.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0mYti5kalrRraItbZubwvk?si=AFywXQIqRXu2Xz3qLT8xGQ

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Found a blog post detailing cover versions made by members of Zombi & Pinkish Black. The first two are decided Yacht. 

https://complexdistractions.blog/2021/04/07/zombi-friends-song-covers-i-never-knew-i-needed-till-i-heard-them/

Covers:

Streisand/Gibb - Guilty

Eddie Rabbit - Suspicions

Alan Parsons Project - Sirius/Eye in the Sky

Steely Dan - Green Earings

The Suspicions cover is nice, but the original is where it's at.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the look of this

AFD32F61-F6CC-4037-A1BC-DF0B5577C9F1.thumb.jpeg.da5e26e79246aa25fa2b35a7a3e960e3.jpeg

The latest compilation in the essential Too Slow To Disco series is undoubtedly one of the best yet. Instead of focusing on sugary, pitched-down disco, the set showcases what it calls "yacht soul" - suitably sweet, often overblown yacht rock and downtempo disco covers of classic soul songs.

There's some superb material on show throughout, with our highlights including Boby Everett's jazz-rock-meets-Philly Soul take on the Beach Boys' 'God Only Knows', a hot-stepping '80s soul cover of Fleetwood Mac's Balearic classic gem 'Everywhere' by Chaka Khan, a deliciously tactile and loved up, boogie-era Aretha Franklin recording of 'What a Fool Believes' and a frankly triumphant, heavily orchestrated soul cover of Paul McCartney's 'Let 'Em In' by the brilliant Billy Paul.

C2D10EC0-1EB1-46FC-A79B-141A289FD164.thumb.jpeg.9000fee11151dabde1e87d85a8eebfaa.jpeg

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/too-slow-to-disco-presents-yacht/825684-01/?utm_source=feat_email&utm_medium=feat_email_21-07-12&utm_term=feat_email_all_CD&utm_content=feat_email_header&utm_campaign=feat_email_all_cd&c=5277