Yacht Rock

ZOK

I’m wary of modern yacht as the key criteria of being recorded between 1977–83 can’t be met and also it will almost certainly not have Steve Lukather ripping an effortless guitar solo out towards the end.

• 1 month later...

I didn’t realise Jay Graydon and David Foster feature on that album too. It’s about a fool, has the personnel, nice sax solo and sounds like it cost a billion pounds to make. Get McDonald on the backing vocals and that’s 100/100 imo.

• 1 month later...

I know Yacht isn't the most precise of music classification tags but Apple Music Essential Yacht playlist has Leo Sayer You Make Me Feel Like Dancing amongst many dubious selections. 

Anybody want to make a case for Leo being yacht ?

I think he sailed quite close on a couple of occasions, but his voice is all wrong for Yacht and he draws too much from disco rather than jazz and soul. Saying that, these two are nearly there based on personnel, and the sound is sort of right. You Make Me Feel Like Dancing is 100% nyacht though, that's madness.

They sure have! There is an absolutely shocking version by Cashmere and this one I found a while ago which is very much a straight cover, by – I think – the guy who wrote it. Not sure it's any closer to the boat but it's certainly nice.

Just found this discofied one too which I'd not heard before. I appreciate the addition of a guitar solo, but that's offset somewhat by the disco high-toms. Seems to nail that weird vocal style Leo Sawyer has where it sounds like someone has contorted his little body into a microwave and forced him to sing. Close but no cigar.

oh those both sound kind of in the ballpark musically but totally agree Leo Sayers weird voice totally rips it out of the mood - his voice always had a fingernails down the blackboard quality for me anyway.