Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

So I'm a few hours in and while it's not as big a mess as Dragon Age, I'm still amazed at the love this is getting. The key things I wanted them to sort out from the first one were loading times (which seem even worse), the Normandy which has to be the world's most boring/pointless/awkward hub ever created and to cut down on exposition in dialogue and try to deliver the story in some more imaginative way than chunks of text spewed out in long conversations or simply dumped into that laziest of tricks, the in-game encyclopedia. I hate that mechanic of coming back to the ship and having to endure every loading screen and boring, repetitious conversation with everyone on board just because you might otherwise miss something important. It feels like a punishment. I mean, if they've got something to say to you, why not just have them come and find you? The Normandy would be better if it was replaced with a menu and occasional cut scenes.

Well, yes. I also really enjoy the ecyclopedia. You don't have to read it as it is merely backstory, but it does a great job of fleshing out the world for those who want to know more about the universe (which is the best in gaming in my opinion).

Loading times on the Normandy are non-existent on a platform that isn't five years out of date. :lol:

Oh right. That's ok then.

To be honest, I enjoyed walking about the Normandy and talking to my crew about as much as I did doing shooty stuff.

No, scratch that. I enjoyed it more.

Really? Wow. You actually enjoyed walking all the way up to the ones who had nothing to tell you, clicking on them and cycling through the dialogue tree to confirm that they had nothing to say and then wondering off? What's fun about that?

So I'm a few hours in and while it's not as big a mess as Dragon Age, I'm still amazed at the love this is getting. The key things I wanted them to sort out from the first one were loading times (which seem even worse), the Normandy which has to be the world's most boring/pointless/awkward hub ever created and to cut down on exposition in dialogue and try to deliver the story in some more imaginative way than chunks of text spewed out in long conversations or simply dumped into that laziest of tricks, the in-game encyclopedia. I hate that mechanic of coming back to the ship and having to endure every loading screen and boring, repetitious conversation with everyone on board just because you might otherwise miss something important. It feels like a punishment. I mean, if they've got something to say to you, why not just have them come and find you? The Normandy would be better if it was replaced with a menu and occasional cut scenes.

I don't know where to start with this. You're very much in the minority here fella. The game is clearly not for you.

And with that, don't be so amazed at the love this is getting; because no-one else has voiced these same criticisms in this thread. The design aspects that you seem to hate, are pretty much liked by everyone else. So they aren't a problem.

Also, I take it loading times aren't as much of an issue when you install the game? I couldn't be arsed to do so, as I don't really mind the loading that much.

I'll say this though. I kinda regret playing on Normal the first time. Insanity is a bit too much perhaps, but the combat really comes into its own on higher difficulties. You really have to think about your loadout, your team mates and the way you use them.

Really? Wow. You actually enjoyed walking all the way up to the ones who had nothing to tell you, clicking on them and cycling through the dialogue tree to confirm that they had nothing to say and then wondering off? What's fun about that?

I haven't had a lot of the "sorry, I've got nothing to say" thing. The crew come to you when they want to talk to you about their loyalty missions (Kelly prompts you to go and see them) and otherwise it's not hard to judge when you haven't talked to them for a while and there may be more dialogue options open. It hasn't felt like a chore.

No, I meant I enjoyed the conversations themselves. I didn't really encounter the problem you're describing: I found it was usually pretty clear when you could no longer get new conversation topics with someone (they give you some kind of concluding comment, about spilling drinks or the like).

Also, I take it loading times aren't as much of an issue when you install the game? I couldn't be arsed to do so, as I don't really mind the loading that much.

I think I read that it doesn't make much difference but I could be wrong.

On my PC, with a system very similar to this one (so not cutting edge) the Normandy load times are so quick that the animated loading screen doesn't even get to show the elevator moving before it loads it entirely.

For my money, the Normandy is the best-implemented hub in any such game. In ME2, at least. And like Bushmeister, I bloody loved talking to my crew and it was only in the very late game that I found crew members had nothing new to say.

The loading times are irritating on the Normandy. Having gone to speak to someone as instructed, I return only to be told X now wants to speak -cue more bloody loading - fucking tedious cobblers that could have been better designed.

That said, I think the game has been ever so slightly overrated. It's good but not that good.

I don't know where to start with this. You're very much in the minority here fella. The game is clearly not for you.

And with that, don't be so amazed at the love this is getting; because no-one else has voiced these same criticisms in this thread. The design aspects that you seem to hate, are pretty much liked by everyone else. So they aren't a problem.

Well - obviously I know I'm in a minority - but there are really annoying things about it, even if much of it is very good. The loading times are ridiculous, and the fact that the Normandy isn't loaded in one go at the very least makes every break between missions ten times more annoying than it should be - even if you do enjoy randomly chatting with characters in the hope that some trigger has clicked on and they'll have something new to say. Also, the mining game, while less actively rubbish than the driving bits in the first game, is worse in that they seem to have spent more time writing four paragraphs about each planet instead of coming up with an enjoyable game. Again, it feels like a long, slow punishment for upgrading.

If you don’t want to talk to the characters, don’t talk to them. You won’t miss out on any missions, as your space PA tells you specifically to go and talk to someone if there’s a mission on offer. Otherwise, you can safely ignore them.

You can also, if you don’t like the characters, tell them to fuck off pretty much. That’s the beauty of the game – if a character is boring or annoying, you can cunt them off.

Sure there are little annoyances, even though for me they are just that: little annoyances. For me it's more about what it does right, and that's an awful lot.

Up there with Galaxy, Uncharted 2 and Bayonetta as the best game of this gen for me.

The universe was always there, but now that they've improved the combat, streamlined the menus, improved the graphics and didn't opt for the same damn base in every side quest, a good game turned into a great one.

Got this yesterday and am really looking forward to putting in some time on it. I tried to import my ME1 character data last night, but owing to the fact that I upgraded from a 20gb hdd to a 120gb hdd....I cant access my completed save game. Gutted. Not sure why bioware made it that way, it seems incredibly daft.

So I had to go back, and replay the last hour and a half of the game from a back up save I'd made- which actually was quite enjoyable.

Well - obviously I know I'm in a minority - but there are really annoying things about it, even if much of it is very good. The loading times are ridiculous, and the fact that the Normandy isn't loaded in one go at the very least makes every break between missions ten times more annoying than it should be - even if you do enjoy randomly chatting with characters in the hope that some trigger has clicked on and they'll have something new to say. Also, the mining game, while less actively rubbish than the driving bits in the first game, is worse in that they seem to have spent more time writing four paragraphs about each planet instead of coming up with an enjoyable game. Again, it feels like a long, slow punishment for upgrading.

I've gotten used to long load times on the 360 (compared to the PC) so I just use the time to have a sip of my tea (or beer!!). It doesn't really annoy me.

I agree with you about the scanning though, it is a chore. I preferred the Mako exploration to be honest. That said, I don't understand your implication that the time writing the descriptions of the planets could have been used to further develop the quality of the game. Bioware have specific people working on story/plot/writing etc, and that work won't impact a gameplay design feature (which is what the scanning is). I for one (and I'm sure others will agree) really like the richness to the backstory and effort that has gone into fleshing out the codex and planet descriptions. It makes the scanning more bearable.

It sounds to me like you have no interest in the lore/back story, or at least the way it has been presented (codex entries, planet descriptions). I'm not sure how else they could have presented it though. The codex is a good way of giving out a wealth of information that otherwise might not have made it in. It's not feasible to present everything in cutscenes or through dialogue (although even if it had, it sounds like it may have bored you). It's just the means to present an extra layer of depth to the lore, and I like it. Plenty of games would be far better off for having this type of thing.

Got this yesterday and am really looking forward to putting in some time on it. I tried to import my ME1 character data last night, but owing to the fact that I upgraded from a 20gb hdd to a 120gb hdd....I cant access my completed save game. Gutted. Not sure why bioware made it that way, it seems incredibly daft.

So I had to go back, and replay the last hour and a half of the game from a back up save I'd made- which actually was quite enjoyable.

Aye, I did this too. I played the final encounter from the first game, and it created the 'completed' save file.

I've gotten used to long load times on the 360 (compared to the PC) so I just use the time to have a sip of my tea (or beer!!). It doesn't really annoy me.

I agree with you about the scanning though, it is a chore. I preferred the Mako exploration to be honest. That said, I don't understand your implication that the time writing the descriptions of the planets could have been used to further develop the quality of the game. Bioware have specific people working on story/plot/writing etc, and that work won't impact a gameplay design feature (which is what the scanning is). I for one (and I'm sure others will agree) really like the richness to the backstory and effort that has gone into fleshing out the codex and planet descriptions. It makes the scanning more bearable.

It sounds to me like you have no interest in the lore/back story, or at least the way it has been presented (codex entries, planet descriptions). I'm not sure how else they could have presented it though. The codex is a good way of giving out a wealth of information that otherwise might not have made it in. It's not feasible to present everything in cutscenes or through dialogue (although even if it had, it sounds like it may have bored you). It's just the means to present an extra layer of depth to the lore, and I like it. Plenty of games would be far better off for having this type of thing.

The codex thing is difficult because I can see the appeal to a lot of people and recognise that it's a more personal thing for me. I'd prefer it if the whole thing were a bit tighter and more elegantly told. I actually find it teeth-gnashingly annoying at times. Each to their own!

I can't wait for these miserable buggers to come back whining about why

Grunt died when you stuck him in the tube or what possible reason Zaeed doesn't make for a good fire team leader when he's so badass, maaaaan

. It is inevitable.

If you don’t want to talk to the characters, don’t talk to them. You won’t miss out on any missions, as your space PA tells you specifically to go and talk to someone if there’s a mission on offer. Otherwise, you can safely ignore them.

You can also, if you don’t like the characters, tell them to fuck off pretty much. That’s the beauty of the game – if a character is boring or annoying, you can cunt them off.

Poor Jacob. He'll be spilling drinks on the Citadel all by himself while the rest of us are getting wasted on Illium.

Perhaps this should go in the original post or something so people know for future reference: when you complete the first game, it creates a 'secret' hidden file with all the save game data so that's why people aren't getting it when they copy their saves from one HD to another. But as Hulk and Dave have found, if you copy over a save from just before the final bit with Saren, load up and complete the original, you'll then create said file on the new HD and that can then be imported.

The codex thing is difficult because I can see the appeal to a lot of people and recognise that it's a more personal thing for me. I'd prefer it if the whole thing were a bit tighter and more elegantly told. I actually find it teeth-gnashingly annoying at times. Each to their own!

I actually ignored most of the codex in ME2, because it's the one bit of the PC version which is terribly annoying to navigate. The codex is entirely unnecessary to understanding even the most complex issues you're faced with in the game, and the storyline is similarly explained in-game without needing to resort to reading the codex entries.

The codex is only really necessary if you need to know that Turian facepaint is considered a mark of trustworthiness and that those without it (such as

the Warden on Purgatory

) are generally deceitful. Or similarly tangential details that build up the world but aren't integral to the story.

Who plays the part of the woman with the husky (foreign sounding) voice during Tali's loyalty mission?

At one point during that mission I was surrounded by familiar voices. Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck etc), Morrigan from Dragon Age, the aforementioned woman... and a couple of others.

Any idea why its like that? Is it on purpose or is it some kind of bug?

I guess it's a bug. When you finish the game, it creates a hidden 'completed' save file linked to that career. I guess in hiding it, they're also making it invisible to the 360 when you transfer saves from one device to another.

I liked the Codex, but would have preferred it if the entries weren’t read out; I can read faster than that guy can speak (check me out), and found it a bit distracting to read the text while someone else was reciting the same text over the top, if that makes sense.